What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Sound Character Of Diva

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

daExpert
KVRist
 
320 posts since 20 Nov, 2005

Postby daExpert; Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:22 am Sound Character Of Diva

I hear people rave about how awesome Diva is and I just don't see it. It's a nice synth but I feel that it has some weaknesses.

I find it sounds somewhat harsh in the higher frequencies, it's an unpleasant harshness that neither zebra or ace have.

The filters have some nice warmth to them, but the front to back depth is just not there. When you sweep the filters on the KLAE MS-20 or V-Station there is a front to back sensation of the sound jumping out at you, whereas in Diva the sound stays flat and 2-dimensional, regardless of the interesting warmth and harmonics going on.

The oscillators by themselves have a thinness in the upper registers.

For the sound it gives you it uses up rather large amounts of CPU.

Maybe this post will trigger some new ideas and thoughts. God bless.
User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
 
10004 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:42 am

You might be alone (or in a very thin minority) with those thoughts. :D
User avatar
Numanoid
KVRAF
 
8608 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:54 am

daExpert wrote:Maybe this post will trigger some new ideas and thoughts. God bless.

The only conclusion I make of your posting is:
a) You want to create a commotion
b) Your rig isn't up to scratch
c) You need to make a doctor appointment to check your hearing
d) All of the above

The conclusion of the lengthy test in Sound on Sound is that Diva is startlingly good.

I'll take their word over yours any day.
Halb Wesen und halb Ding
User avatar
djanthonyw
KVRAF
 
6702 posts since 20 Jul, 2004, from Boston

Postby djanthonyw; Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:58 am

If anything sounds harsh out of Diva, Zebra, or ACE, I would definitely say it's ACE. Zebra is the thin one. Diva is 'just right'.

http://www.anthonywebster.com/audio/diva_strobe.mp3
You are currently reading my signature.
daExpert
KVRist
 
320 posts since 20 Nov, 2005

Postby daExpert; Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:28 am

I hear the harshness more on certain sounds than others, if you lower the low-pass filter enough you can mask the harshness pretty well.

But when I play more aggressive lead sounds in Legacy Cell, V-station, and Dune, there isn't the tinnyness in the upper-frequencies that Diva has. On that sound demo when the filter was raised, you could definitely hear the harshness a bit that you wouldn't hear on other synths.

You can try to EQ it out, but it doesn't really work because then your sound becomes fundamentally different and it isn't just at one narrow frequency. I'd say it's centered around 6 kilohertz but EQ doesn't really eliminate it. In other synths the harshness isn't there to begin with.

Diva does sound quite good and is a valuable tool for the toolbox. But does it sound a lot better than the very best virtual analogs? IMO, not really.
User avatar
djanthonyw
KVRAF
 
6702 posts since 20 Jul, 2004, from Boston

Postby djanthonyw; Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:32 am

daExpert wrote:But does it sound a lot better than the very best virtual analogs?
Yes, surpasses them, and competes nicely with real analogs.
You are currently reading my signature.
3ee
KVRAF
 
2695 posts since 8 Mar, 2006

Postby 3ee; Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:17 am

djanthonyw wrote:If anything sounds harsh out of Diva, Zebra, or ACE, I would definitely say it's ACE. Zebra is the thin one. Diva is 'just right'.


Zebra sounds thin? :? how much did you spend feeding her? :D

but 1st we got to define terms, terms like harshness and warmth.

daExpert, can you please describe (with examples if possible) what do you mean by those terms?
User avatar
ariston
KVRAF
 
2831 posts since 28 Jun, 2009, from Wherever I lay my hat

Postby ariston; Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:26 am

It's really a waste of time to discuss how things sound, because we don't share the same pair of ears. It might be interesting to discover that not many people share your opinion, though. This would open up several possibilities:

- maybe your setup is at fault (bad converters, bad monitoring, whatever).

- maybe your "tinny" is my "crystal clear".

- maybe you just happen to like the sound of other VAs better

- maybe you're desperately trying to find fault with something because it is supposedly "hyped"... you know, going the other way for the hell of it. (I think this happens a lot, really. I know I've done it. There's a nice German word for that phenomenon, it's called "Trotz" - "defiance" is the translation, but it doesn't quite nail the meaning)

- maybe your initial post is pure flame bait, because I don't know what you're expecting. Do you want us to show you you're wrong by telling you so? Will that change your opinion? Do you think you'll change our opinion? Do you think Urs will go "by Jove, he's right! I'll get to coding straight away! How come no one's noticed this before!"?

As far as triggering new ideas and thoughts - good luck with that. All I get are old ideas and nasty thoughts.
User avatar
~Pd~
KVRian
 
722 posts since 29 Jul, 2006

Postby ~Pd~; Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:32 am

The harsh sound I've come to associate with Diva is endless petty bickering.
User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
 
10004 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:37 am

~Pd~ wrote:The harsh sound I've come to associate with Diva is endless petty bickering.


Pretty much, yes.
User avatar
tehlord
KVRAF
 
6725 posts since 22 Sep, 2008, from Windsor. UK

Postby tehlord; Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:47 am

Image
izonin
KVRian
 
695 posts since 27 Oct, 2009

Postby izonin; Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 am

daExpert wrote:I hear the harshness more on certain sounds than others, if you lower the low-pass filter enough you can mask the harshness pretty well.


The harshness goes away when you render at higher sampling rates. Try both 96 and 192kHz.
I could be completely wrong.
User avatar
Ingonator
KVRAF
 
8017 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:09 am

izonin wrote:
daExpert wrote:I hear the harshness more on certain sounds than others, if you lower the low-pass filter enough you can mask the harshness pretty well.


The harshness goes away when you render at higher sampling rates. Try both 96 and 192kHz.

Or try using a 32-bit OS. Some people say this sounds more analog... :D


Ingo
Waldorf Beta Forum Manager
"Atmospheric Transients" for PPG Wave 3.V
"Analog vs Digital" for Blofeld
Win 7 64-bit / Live 9 / Studio One / Reaper / Pro Tools // Blofeld / Pulse 2 /Waldorf + other plugins
User avatar
hakey
KVRAF
 
4789 posts since 25 Feb, 2008, from Babylon an ting

Postby hakey; Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:45 am


What function do such reviews fulfil these days?

Download the demo. Try the synth. :shrug:
User avatar
Numanoid
KVRAF
 
8608 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:04 am

hakey wrote:

What function do such reviews fulfil these days?

Download the demo. Try the synth. :shrug:

OK, lets say I download a plugin, I don't get the sound that I want from it straight away, and thus make a quick conclusion that it's a crap plugin, which sounds thin.

What you must understand is that people writing for such magazines as Sound on Sound have expert knowledge, and thus are much more capable to make a general conclusion about an instrument than either you or I.

The guy reviewing Diva has been producing and making records for over 30 years.

It has nothing to do about believing blindly in authority, but about taking sound advice from craftsmen.
Halb Wesen und halb Ding
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments