Can some top designers please do some banks for KHS ONE?

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TheoM wrote:I honestly missed it. I presumed a full bank of 128 would be paid. I am glad i missed it, because it means i just got a nice surpise!

:grin:
Some more information:

The sound bank contains not 128 patches, we stopped at 86 patches. We didn't want to fill it with some simple variations of other patches or just totally unusable patches. As it is now, we believe they are all usable, but of course, we let other people decide for themselves if they agree with this statement.

We do not consider ourselves top designers, we have still a lot to learn. We do however consider ourselves some serious amateurs! :hihi:
We have dreams to launch commercial available sound banks in the future, but only if the quality of our banks permit this.

And last but not least: We totally love kiloHearts and their ONE synthesizer plugin. :D

And TheoM, it's because of this thread that we decided to make this sound bank. So thank you! :)
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

Well; I'm late to this thread, but just discovered this beauty can be fully automated using the AudioMulch Metasurface; allowing me to morph and explore the territory between different snapshots of the parameters (presets), and the CPU hit is, well, hilariously low.... So; hell; I'm going to post my own preset bank for whoever wants to use it; this thing is a breeze and joy to use.
drab

The bank that Solidtrax mentioned above is now released officially on our site. I think they did a great job!

I haven't forgotten about the community bank from this thread, just have not collected it yet (wanted to wait for the presets from Resonator63, and now maybe allofdrab as well?). Will do but can not say exactly when. Hopefully this or next week!

EDIT:
http://soundcloud.com/kilohearts/khs-on ... -bank-demo
kiloHearts Developer

Coo, just downloaded and will have a look soon. :)

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:Coo, just downloaded and will have a look soon. :)

Ingo
We sincerely hope it's not going to be a disappointment! Let us know what you think of it when you have played with it, we would love to hear everyone's opinion!
Website

solidtrax wrote:

Ingo
We sincerely hope it's not going to be a disappointment! Let us know what you think of it when you have played with it, we would love to hear everyone's opinion!
Hi,

as being a sound designer myself i usually do not criticize other sound designers (instead i usually either endorse a specific soundset or do not comment at all) but i'll try to give a honest opinion. :)

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
solidtrax wrote:

Ingo
Hi,

as being a sound designer myself i usually do not critizice other sound designers (instead i either endorse a specific soundset or do not comment at all) but i'll try to give a honest opinion. :)

Ingo
We consider it a good thing if we receive honest critiques from people, as we can learn from that and continue with becoming better and better. We are not professional sound designers imho and we realize that we can still learn a thing or two (three, four, five, etc.) from others! We enjoyed making this sound bank, that's important for us, as this is still a hobby. If people end up using our patches, that would be the icing on the cake! :)
Website

Dentoid wrote: I haven't forgotten about the community bank from this thread, just have not collected it yet (wanted to wait for the presets from Resonator63, and now maybe allofdrab as well?). Will do but can not say exactly when. Hopefully this or next week!
After doing a rough guess all patches together are maybe more than 100 (those from Kriminal excluded).

UPDATE:
Just collected all single files of them and so far there are 118 (excluding those from Kriminal).

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

well the soliodtrax demo Dentoid posted sounds good to me, so that's a start. downloading this now.

Thanks again Solidtrax, you can be sure you'll get an honest opinion from me either way

:)

solidtrax wrote:
We consider it a good thing if we receive honest critiques from people, as we can learn from that and continue with becoming better and better. We are not professional sound designers imho and we realize that we can still learn a thing or two (three, four, five, etc.) from others! We enjoyed making this sound bank, that's important for us, as this is still a hobby. If people end up using our patches, that would be the icing on the cake! :)
Hi,

just had a first "scan" trough the presets. Here is my first impression based on categories:

- Basses :

Some nice sounds but nothing very spectacular IMO.
Most of those could need some of the built-in EQ for better low end and also a lower octave setting. Several are at "0" for the octave which should be more appropriate for a Lead sound.
some sound designer maybe think that using an EQ is cheating but i do think differently... :wink:
Good setting for the Bass in the EQ are e.g. 0.30 for the Bass amount and around 0.400 - 0.450 for the Cutoff (the knob besides the Bass amount).

The "BS 3003" and "BS 4004" etc. patches seem to sound quite similar. Addition of a second oscillator ( which seems to be the main difference of those two patches mentioned) could be done with the Modwheel.

- Leads :

Some nice sounds there but on several the Low end could be improved with the built-in EQ. One of those sounds comparable to my own "Octason" Lead sound.

- Pads :

Some really nice ones there. The pads are maybe the highlight of this bank.

- ARPs :

Some nice plucked sounds there.

- Keys :

The "Pianos" don't really sound like a Piano except "Mellow Piano". The other sound more like a Harpsichord or Clavinet. You could check my own Piano sounds here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=372253

There could be some reasons if a "Piano" patch sounds to "plucky". Those are e.g. to high Cutoff amount, to high filter envelope amount or too short filter envelope Decay. Also the filter key tracking amount is important. For a Piano sound it could be necessary to set this to 0.

- Drums :

Some nice and usable patches there. I like the Kick drums and Hi Hats.

This is my first impression and a few hints. I tried to be honest and I hope this will be helpful. :)

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
solidtrax wrote:
Hi,

just had a first "scan" trough the presets. Here is my first impression based on categories:

- Basses :

Some nice sounds but nothing very spectacular IMO.
Most of those could need some of the built-in EQ for better low end and also a lower octave setting. Several are at "0" for the octave which should be more appropriate for a Lead sound.
some sound designer maybe think that using an EQ is cheating but i do think differently... :wink:
Good setting for the Bass in the EQ are e.g. 0.30 for the Bass amount and around 0.400 - 0.450 for the Cutoff (the knob besides the Bass amount).

The "BS 3003" and "BS 4004" etc. patches seem to sound quite similar. Addition of a second oscillator ( which seems to be the main difference of those two patches mentioned) could be done with the Modwheel.

- Leads :

Some nice sounds there but on several the Low end could be improved with the built-in EQ. One of those sounds comparable to my own "Octason" Lead sound.

- Pads :

Some really nice ones there. The pads are maybe the highlight of this bank.

- ARPs :

Some nice plucked sounds there.

- Keys :

The "Pianos" don't really sound like a Piano except "Mellow Piano". The other sound more like a Harpsichord or Clavinet. You could check my own Piano sounds here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=372253

There could be some reasons if a "Piano" patch sounds to "plucky". Those are e.g. to high Cutoff amount, to high filter envelope amount or too short filter envelope Decay. Also the filter key tracking amount is important. For a Piano sound it could be necessary to set this to 0.

- Drums :

Some nice and usable patches there. I like the Kick drums and Hi Hats.

This is my first impression and a few hints. I tried to be honest and I hope this will be helpful. :)

Ingo
Thank you so much for you detailed feedback, we take everything you say very serious and will keep this in mind (and on paper!) when making our next sound bank. :)
Website

Dentoid wrote: I haven't forgotten about the community bank from this thread, just have not collected it yet (wanted to wait for the presets from Resonator63, and now maybe allofdrab as well?). Will do but can not say exactly when. Hopefully this or next week!
I posted a small bank of 15 presets in the banks and patches section here on KVR a few days ago. :)

@SolidTrax - Pads Auralis 1 & 3 = :love:

I went straight to the pads cause of Ingo's review, and it's nice to see some good pads for KHS one as there aren't that many "usable" ones per se.

These are good, will check out the rest of the bank now.

On a side note, it's interesting to note KHS one can INDEED be very cpu hungry after all, with nice rich pads.

All are however playable without dropouts and crackled though :)

Resonator63 wrote:
I posted a small bank of 15 presets in the banks and patches section here on KVR a few days ago. :)
I had collected your single preset files (*.fxp) and all other single files of the other free patches (including my own) and sent to Dentoid. This should make it easier to create the bank. BTW those are 118 patches without those by Kriminal (who did not want his to be included).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Bassliner, Lovely Pluck, Mellow Harp, Clap One, Closed HH2, Open HH1, Percussion Two, Sweeper E7, Vinyl Crackle (YAY to this really needed this), Dream piano, FM Piano, Mellow Piano, BassLead One, Big Anthem, Lead vocal, Leader One, Mellow Trancer, One Osc, SuperSaw, Yeah Pay 8k, Aliens Calling, Classic Movements, Distorting Movements, Auralis 1, Auralis 3, Dreamers, Ice Mice, Ice mountains, Ice Particles, Leader TWO, Moving strings.

These are all the patches i find immediately usable, right now without tweaking. In fact, I am overall sincerely impressed with the quality of this bank.

I am not fond of any of the basses besides the one Bassliner i listed, the others really don't do ONE justice..They feel like they are lacking in energy.. kind of the same problem i recently talked about in my LUSH 101 basses topic.. I hope there is no offence, but you asked for complete honesty. The lead work is *very* good though, and i found some of those in the lower ranges are better than the dedicated bass patches!

Besides the bass and pads, where i agree with Ingo, i almost completely disagree with him on everything else! It shows you really how different we all are!. If you see which patches i liked, they do not correlate with his findings.

now over 30 patches i instantly find usable is an amazing ratio for a free bank for me, as i am so critical. That's like 40% of them. That's very high for me.

Furthermore, with some ERS Dimension D, some breverb, and some Plug and Mix Monster Boost, I found i could make everything already good often even more delicious, and some not so good, good.

My score 6/10

On the patches I like, 9/10

Overall balanced score 7/10

Return to “Soundware”