What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

New type of compressor interface (Radium Compressor)

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

kmatheussen
KVRist

62 posts since 24 Aug, 2012

Postby kmatheussen; Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:05 pm New type of compressor interface (Radium Compressor)

Hello,

Here's a compressor with a user interface which I think is new, and better:

You can read more about the program here: http://users.notam02.no/~kjetism/radium/compressor_plugin.php. It's currently only available as a VST plugin for windows, but I've got OSX and Linux versions running as well. Just needs some testing first.
Last edited by kmatheussen on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmatheussen
KVRist

Postby kmatheussen; Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:28 pm

Here's a video of the jack standalone program: http://vimeo.com/57594233
It looks slightly different from the plugin, but it's the same interface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KphCxloBq2w
Last edited by kmatheussen on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vata44
KVRian

1482 posts since 29 Jul, 2007

Postby vata44; Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:44 pm

I think that kind of GUI interface would be KEY for a whole line of "touchable" plugins for the newer touch screen computers. :)

Just make the Attack and Release more visual as well.

Cheers!
sin night
KVRian

520 posts since 1 Aug, 2006, from Italy

Postby sin night; Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:05 am

mmm... nice idea! I don't know I would feel using this interface (I'm on mac, so I can't try it at least now), I mean: I'm used to knobs and sliders, here's something to drag but there's a background graph distracting me... I don't really know, I have to try.

Anyway, I think this gui would be a good graphic, even if the plugin had knobs to set values: the ratio line getting close to the threshold line really gives you the idea of how much you're (over)compressing. When you realize that all that high column on the left is squashed down on that very small space on the middle, you're likely to go back to more gentle settings. Very nice for beginners and for people tempted to overcompress in general. :tu:
david.beholder
KVRist

300 posts since 12 Sep, 2007

Postby david.beholder; Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:33 am

Wow! Nice UI for representation of compression process!
Image Sincerely yours, Wyatt Fokkilokk
Crackbaby
KVRAF

2856 posts since 10 Sep, 2003, from Karlskoga, Stockholm, Sweden

Postby Crackbaby; Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:49 am

Extra easy to set make up gain!
Elektron Machinedrum Mk1 UW, Analog4, Octatrack
Soundcraft EFX12, Alesis 3630, Nanocompressor, Zoom G13, Tapco 3630
Gordon-Smith Gypsy, Yamaha THR10, P-80
M-Audio Delta 24/96 PCI
kmatheussen
KVRist

Postby kmatheussen; Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:01 am

Crackbaby wrote:Extra easy to set make up gain!

Heh, yes. :) I don't think you are sarcastic, but in case anyone wonders, the large make up gain slider to the right is set up like that to easily compare the input volume graph and the output volume graph (in order to quicker adjust output volume to be approximately the same as it would be without compression).
lnikj
KVRist

220 posts since 23 May, 2005

Postby lnikj; Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:04 am

Wow. I am a sucker for visual approaches. Mac version please !
manducator
KVRAF

1648 posts since 10 Feb, 2007

Postby manducator; Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:11 am

Looks very interesting!!

But I'm confused about the price. It's € 20 but you also mention in the download section a price per month. Can you explain it a bit?
kmatheussen
KVRist

Postby kmatheussen; Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:17 am

manducator wrote:Looks very interesting!!

But I'm confused about the price. It's € 20 but you also mention in the download section a price per month. Can you explain it a bit?

It's €20.

The price per month is for for a different product, the Radium Music Editor. The relationship between them is that the radium compressor is built into the radium music editor, but now the compressor is also available as a separate plugin.
manducator
KVRAF

1648 posts since 10 Feb, 2007

Postby manducator; Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:23 am

kmatheussen wrote:It's €20.

The price per month is for for a different product, the Radium Music Editor. The relationship between them is that the radium compressor is built into the radium music editor, but now the compressor is also available as a separate plugin.

Ok thanks, my bad...
bduffy
KVRAF

19389 posts since 13 Feb, 2003, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby bduffy; Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:54 am

Need any Mac testers?
kmatheussen
KVRist

Postby kmatheussen; Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:08 am

bduffy wrote:Need any Mac testers?

I don't need more testers now though, but I've sent you a PM.
Crackbaby
KVRAF

2856 posts since 10 Sep, 2003, from Karlskoga, Stockholm, Sweden

Postby Crackbaby; Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:18 am

kmatheussen wrote:
Crackbaby wrote:Extra easy to set make up gain!

Heh, yes. :) I don't think you are sarcastic, but in case anyone wonders, the large make up gain slider to the right is set up like that to easily compare the input volume graph and the output volume graph (in order to quicker adjust output volume to be approximately the same as it would be without compression).

No, no sarcasm! I always find it cumbersome to set the output right so i don't fool myself with the louder sounds better thing.
The UI is brilliant!
Elektron Machinedrum Mk1 UW, Analog4, Octatrack
Soundcraft EFX12, Alesis 3630, Nanocompressor, Zoom G13, Tapco 3630
Gordon-Smith Gypsy, Yamaha THR10, P-80
M-Audio Delta 24/96 PCI
Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF

3722 posts since 15 Aug, 2006

Postby Funkybot's Evil Twin; Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:16 am

1. Why not add the attack and release times into the threshold. So the bar would fade in with longer attacks, and the curve into the threshold could increase/decrease based on the release time.

2. While it looks interesting, and could help out newbies, it doesn't actually seem like you can gather a lot of information about how loud the signal is going into it versus what's coming out. Example, in your screenshot you have the makeup gain set to +9.3, but where do I see roughly 9db of gain reduction? If my signal was below -24db, there'd be zero gain redcuction taking place with a 9.3 increase in the output gain. Ideally, you'd find a better way of showing the actual gain reduction. I'd want to see input signal (with the threshold over that), gain reduction, then how the makeup gain makes up for what was reduced. This way I could properly gain stage.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects