T5 bugs + FRs

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Edit Clips: I watched the video on the website and (in 5.2.4) I've turned an edit into a clip on a track. What isn't happening, however, is that when I change things in the edit, the clip isn't being updated with the changes when I return to the edit with the clip in it. Unlike in the video.

I'm trying this out in response to a question on the T site about not being able to put effects on folder tracks.

Anyone else tried this? There are few comments about edit clips on the forum, so perhaps nobody has been using them yet.

XPSP3 & T5.2.4

Edit: When I save the sub edit, the edit clips are re-rendered, but I'm confused because I've inserted from the same sub edit into three tracks (with changes to the sub edit inbetween) and all three clips are now different, whereas I expect them all to be the same. The changes are not being reflected in the clips.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Hi Jabe, the Edit Clips will only re-generate when you save the source Edit. Otherwise these would constantly be rendering as you move things around in the source Edit which would waste a lot of system resources. The idea is that the Edit Clip is a snapshot of the last saved state.

When you say the clips are different what exactly do you mean? Are some of them not re-generating when you save the source Edit again? Are you sure you have the same options in the "Edit Properties" tab set for all of them? If you have different tracks enabled the contents will be different.

If you can provide a test archive that demonstrates the problem that would be helpful in finding out what's going wrong.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers Dave

Thanks for the reply. While preparing the test archive for you I've twigged what's been going on.

What I did the very first time was to insert a guitar audio clip into a sub-edit, but then also inserted it on another track and stretched it. The noise this produced looks to have masked what was going wrong, as you'll see.

Having done that, I inserted the sub-edit as a clip into the main edit on track 1 at bar 1.

Next I moved both clips in the sub-edit so that they started a couple of bars later. Once again I inserted the sub-edit into the main edit as a clip, at bar 1 of track 2.

On playback, the audio started at different times, which I didn't expect.

The first time round, I moved the audio clips in the sub-edit for a third time and inserted the sub-edit onto track 3 of the main edit. Again, the audio started at a different time.

When I came to create a simpler version to email to you at support, I noticed that the first clip in my main edit was starting part way through a bar.

Now then, when I did the first insert, the sub-edit was three bars long. When I did the second insert, it was (say) five bars long. The first inserted clip was indeed re-rendered, but the five bars were squished into three bars. There was time-stretching being applied!

When I made sure the sub-edit length was the same for both inserts, the two rendered clips matched.

I suspect this squishing may not be intended behaviour, although I can certainly see a use for it. However, I wonder if perhaps a warning message might be added to advise that a clip is no longer the same size as its source and to ask whether the program should adjust the clip length to suit?
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

BR - Just noticed in T5, the files windows drives list will not show any network drive mapped letters, but they do show in T4 :-)

Problem solved, post deleted...

hi tracktioneers,

yesterday I searched for "phase reverse" button while recording a bass take on two tracks simultaneously and one had to be flipped in phase. took me some searching in forums to find that there one only in the tracktion EQ that I never use.

Please put it in a more intuitive place e.g. the TRACK or better LEVEL/PAN Meter.

This is really basic function. To hide it in an EQ filter is not an option.

Also please support COUNT-IN also with loop recording. I often compose by recording severall variants of a part in loop mode, and then choose the best one... but without COUNT-IN you always have to let the first round pass and wait for the 2nd and, even more important, you can't hear the last measures of the part before that gives you context. So loop recording with an option to COUNT-IN with every loop iteration would also be great.

what do you think?

good ideas regarding looprecording and countin! it would be best integrated with a dedicated countin marker i believe, that could also work for audiomaterial, that is not recorded with a click.
it also needs to be distinguished between metronome and audio from the project, that is before the I-marker. countin normally refers to metronome clicks.
so there should be an option for clicks and/or playing the project before the punchin marker for looprecording.

i asked for countin on looprecording a while ago and got the response, that the audioengine needs to be changed to make that possible. will probably take a little for that to happen.

i think the limitations come from tracktions way of working with the I/O markers. they are coupled to too much functionality at once.
if we only had loopmarkers/ranges as an additional option, one could easily avoid the countin problem.
but at the moment, this is all tied together with the I/O markers.

FEATURE REQUEST

Option to start Tracktion with no files loaded, no matter what was loaded when last exited.

Automatically re-opening files has to be my least favourite "feature" of software in the last few years. Jules' response to colour editing is nothing compared to me having to wait for an edit to load, wait for an edit to un-load, watch Tracktion crash in the process, have to re-boot to get the audio engine working again.

Please please please please please please please for the love of all that is both holy and unholy give us the option to load up Tracktion with no edits pre-loaded.

Oh, and for some reason un-loading that edit crashed Tracktion. I may look into that. Might just have been stuff loading and un-loading at the same time.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Hi pough, I've added an option not to reload Edits. You'll find it in the "General Settings" page in 5.3.x.

dRowAudio wrote:Hi pough, I've added an option not to reload Edits. You'll find it in the "General Settings" page in 5.3.x.
Thank you!
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

I think marker navigation could be improved under T5. I prefer to have the browser window (is that what its called? The pane on the left that can be used to show markers, plugins etc) closed and I'm not overly keen on typing the number of markers in to jump to them, although that does certainly have its uses.

As it stands, if you have a marker selected and the playhead is positioned further along the timeline than the selected marker, pushing 'rewind to start' will take you to the selected marker but ignore any other markers in between. There doesn't seem to be any quick and easy way to move forward to the next marker if you don't know its number.

I would like to see either right-clicking or SHIFT/CTRL-clicking on 'Move back through edit' and 'Move forward through edit' taking you to the next sequential marker, regardless of it being selected or not.

I had T 5.3.3 crash on me a few times yesterday, runnng under Ubuntu 12.04.4 / KDE. I haven't got a surefire way to reproduce the crash every time but I think its something to with the audio timestretching.

Without having Tracktion in front of me, I got it to crash most simply by doing something like:

* Import an audio clip

* Loop and start playing it

* Enable better quality time stretching for the clip

* Quickly adjust the speed (stretch factor) of the clip using the slider in its properties pane whilst it's still looping.

I've had it crash doing that, but not every time.

danboid wrote: As it stands, if you have a marker selected and the playhead is positioned further along the timeline than the selected marker, pushing 'rewind to start' will take you to the selected marker but ignore any other markers in between. There doesn't seem to be any quick and easy way to move forward to the next marker if you don't know its number.

I would like to see either right-clicking or SHIFT/CTRL-clicking on 'Move back through edit' and 'Move forward through edit' taking you to the next sequential marker, regardless of it being selected or not.
Yes there is.. Search in Settings/Keyboard Shortcuts.

Hi danboid, can you send a log file to support@tracktionsoftware.com to help us track down these issues. To get you log file simply click the "Help" button in the bottom left and then "Show the Tracktion Log File". Just attach the whole file. Cheers.

pough wrote:
dRowAudio wrote:Hi pough, I've added an option not to reload Edits. You'll find it in the "General Settings" page in 5.3.x.
Thank you!
Great - much needed

Return to “Tracktion”