Intro to Controller Scripting - Bitwig Studio 1.0.x

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not sure what's wrong with your connection. Did you ever do that tracert?
The latest release version is: http://packs.bitwig.com/downloads/bitwi ... -1.0.5.deb
The latest RC version is: http://packs.bitwig.com/downloads/bitwi ... .6-RC2.deb

Good luck finding your problem. The website works perfectly for quite a while.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Thanks for helping yet again! Bitwig is the only website
I simply can't access. :? Everything is as flawless as expected at
the rest of the internet, so, one click, and now I'm downloading
the 1.0.6-2 8) You deserve a private tropical island :)
Done. :hyper: That was fast for 3G :party:

Hi, we can control Bitwig with an ipad, it seems to be french :

http://bitwigstudiofrance.forumpro.fr/t ... ec-un-ipad

I created an alternative mapping for the Akai MPK Mini controller.

The original had a bug while recording with the pads. Also I improved the CCs controlling the transport.

The brief documentation and script can be found in my Github page: https://github.com/carlosedp/BitwigControllers

Send me your feedback or bugs in the Issues page of Github.
Carlos

Does anybody know, what Name the Launch Control from Novation gives as it´s output when Bitwig checks for the Controller Names?. I try to set up Tom´s Multy Controller Script for use with the Launch Control (so i can see it as a Controller in the list) but i had no luck until now....something with the Naming i guess. No matter how i write it (Lauch Control, LauchControl, Launch_Control....) Bitwig wont recognize the Script....it simply dosn´t show up. It works without any problems with the unmodified Script.

I used the same Script for my Impulse 49 and got it to work. Next thing to figure out: How to get the Transport Control to work. or better: Is there Any way to merge Tom´s script and the Impulse 25 Script so that one can use the Faders (1-8) for mappings? I can live with the Mixer Controlls on the Knobs, but it´s sad that you have 8 Faders that are lying unused. For a "No-Coder" hard to figure out ;-)

As for the Name: it should be written exactly as what you see it like in the dropdowns in Bitwig for Inputs and Outputs, including spaces etc. AFAIK.
host.addDeviceNameBasedDiscoveryPair(["YourMidiInPortNameHere"], ["YourMidiOutPortNameHere"]);
But this autodetection thing is just for convenience, you can also just select the controller from the manual dropdown while you are testing and check in the console if there are any errors shown.

You DID follow the receipts in this thread about a unique UUID etc., did you? Otherwise it will not work.
If you say "It simply doesn't show up", do you mean you can't see it in the manual controller dropdown at all? Then something else than the name is borked...

Can't help with the transport and sliders - I don't have such a controller.
But you could check out the "Generic Script with Faders" or what's it called and see if you can get some hints from there.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

Thanks for this information, couldn't help but notice its still only receiving midi and not sending it... is there a way to make a generic controller that allows you to send it so that I can midi into my lemur?

Sorry, I have absolutely no clue what the Lemur needs. You can look into the more advanced scripts for other controllers to see how they work, but it's getting rather involved fast.

Is there a dedicated Lemur forum? Maybe you can find some more users with an interest in Bitwig or talk to the Lemur Manufacturer directly?

Cheers,

Tom

Oh my word, this is a great thread! Why can't we get stuff like this stickied (!), would have saved me time to find the collaborative topics. :P

I came looking for answers on how to fully utilize my Axiom Air 61. Good start here but it sounds like there's a lot of scripting to be done... I may be able to contribute once I have the studio room set up in my new house, but keyboard is packed in box atm.

I know it's early days but I would really love to see a central (perhaps even official?) community repository set up to hold the collective works of all devs on here. This would ensure we build on the work already done and avoid duplicating efforts. What do you guys think?

Here's a start Ikariya:
https://github.com/search?q=bitwig&ref=cmdform

Several scripts to run various controllers.

I keep a watchful eye there hoping for some scripts to utilize my controllers.

So far the one there for Akai APC40, by stylemistake, works well.

In the early pages of this thread, which is stickied BTW, 4damind contributed an Axiom Pro 61 script. I couldn't get it working completely on my Pro 49 (transport issues); however, it may help you start in the right direction.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

- It IS sticky for quite a while now, together with the "Ressources" Thread. ;-)

- Such an official community repository is already in the works. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Ah - dsan beat me to it ;-)

And the race is on :hihi:

Happy Easter Thomas!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

trappar wrote:Hey all, I'm currently in the process of working on a manual conversion of the Bitwig Control Surface Scripting API into javascript method stubs complete with JSDoc. If you're working on any controller scripts this should be super helpful to you!

I use JetBrains Webstorm for my controller development, and so by including these stubs as an external library I get full code-hinting/autocompletion for anything Bitwig related. This is insanely helpful if you're planning on developing some code for an unsupported controller. This is the kind of auto-completion I'm talking about:

Here's what I've got so far. There's still quite a lot to do and I'd appreciate some help if anyone feels generous with their time but if not I'll keep plugging away at it!

trappar/bitwig-api-stubs on Github

Good luck with those controller scripts!
Awestome work from trappar, find the thread here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=409513

has anyone figured out a script allowing PolyAT to send per note timbre values with the KMI Qunexus keyboard.

I understand that it should involve assignPolyphonicAftertouchToExpression, NoteInput.NoteExpression, and TIMBRE_UP or TIMBRE_DOWN in some way, but don't know how to implement it.

My attempts to adapt ThomasHelzle's polyAT scripts to the qunexus have all failed spectacularly, so i'm clearly missing something.

assistance plz sympathetic codemonkies?

Any help would be met with hurrahs and such. Thanks!

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/QuNexus/downloads <-- documentation... haven't found anything to indicate it isnt possible tho

husserl,
I won't be of much help to you as I do not use or know the specifics of your device; however, I hope the following helps you along the way.

1.) The most common mistakes are (A) syntax and (B) the UUID number:

A.) Recheck your work for spelling mistakes in your script. Be sure you are correctly identifying the device and its ports in your script. For example, in the line "host.createMidiInput......" if your device is named KMI Qunexus Keyboard, and you type Qunexus keyboard, you will have a syntax error and the script will not execute since the host cannot find the device you have stipulated.

B.) The UUID number MUST be unique on your system. If you have multiple devices and give them the same UUID number this will confuse the host and it will not identify the device.

On the first page/first post of this thread Thomas has given a link to a website that will provide you this unique identifier number. I have found it best to click the "GET" button again upon entering the page as I have noticed an occassion or two where the number provided was a duplicate. Odd this would happen but it did and that is how I encountered the confused host issue I mention.

I hope this has been some help to you. I know this making scripts process is difficult, at best, and while I have been able to script some things successfully, other things I need for my controllers remain obscure.

The only other suggestion I can make is to approach the dev and request they create a script for BWS. Seems they would want to be supportive; unfortunately not all are (Hello m-Audio :x).

Good luck!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Return to “Controller Scripting”