What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

PPG Wave 3.V

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRist

180 posts since 14 Apr, 2008, from Berlin

Postby resistent; Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:28 pm PPG Wave 3.V

Is there anything comparable to PPG Wave 3.V ? I will buy Zebra in the near future and think Zebra can sound very similar.

Do anybody tested PPG Wave 3.V and can compare it to Zebra in terms of sounding like a PPG Wave and this emulation ?
LOVE*FIGHT*CREATE
-------------------------------------------
excusemyenglish
KVRian

1025 posts since 6 May, 2005, from Michigan, USA

Postby Vectorman; Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:01 pm Re: PPG Wave 3.V

I've used the resynthesized Waldorf wavetables in Zebra's oscillators (the ones posted somewhere in the u-he Patch Library - see sticky thread in the u-he subforum). You can definitely get sounds that are evocative of a PPG with Zebra, but there's usually a noticeable difference in character. PPG 3.V deliberately recreates the grungy digital artifacts of the PPG Wave's oscillators, whereas Zebra's oscillators are a lot cleaner-sounding. The trade-off of course is that you can do a lot more with that raw material in Zebra's far deeper synth architecture.

As far as other synths with a similar sound to 3.V, there is PPG Wavegenerator. It has very PPG Wave-sounding oscillators with a lot of artifacts.
KVRist

416 posts since 9 Feb, 2007, from Woodbury, Minnesota

Postby Gribs; Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:32 pm Re: PPG Wave 3.V

Wolfgang Palm's WaveGenerator plugin for PC and Mac?

http://wolfgangpalm.com/new-products/wa ... ac-and-pc/
------------------------------------------
Gribs
KVRian

940 posts since 28 Jun, 2005, from La La Land

Postby Orbit-50; Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:23 pm Re: PPG Wave 3.V

The PPG Wave 3.V has a huge amount of character. That's the one thing I noticed. Not much else out there to compare it to as far as the particular sound that it offers. You can in no way compare it to Zebra. They are two completely different synths. You need to demo both for yourself to see this. I have Zebra and love it for what it does and after trying PPG Wave 3.V I am probably gonna pull the trigger and buy it because I enjoy what it does.

.-.
Intel Core i7, Cubase 7.5, Ableton Live 9+Push, FL Studio 11, Wavelab 8.5, Halion 5, NI Komplete 9, Waves, Nexus 2, All VPS, Spire, Sylenth1, FXpansion, Alchemy, Waldorf Largo, Synthmaster, Ohm Force, GForce, D16 Group, ArtsAcoustic, FabFilter and more..
KVRist

399 posts since 10 Jul, 2006, from Tampa

Postby planetearth; Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:03 pm Re: PPG Wave 3.V

Are you looking at the 3.0 version for anything in particular that it does, or just for its emulation of the 2.3 and 2.2 versions?

If you're looking more for the 2.3 or 2.2 versions, there's a free emulator that's supposed to sound pretty close to the hardware. I don't remember then name right now, but I can find it when I get home. For a freebie, it's quite flexible and thorough. I heard about it on KVR from people who thought it was a great emulation.

Steve
I'm looking for collaborators. Anyone interested?
Listen to some of my stuff here: www.soundcloud.com/shdesigns .
KVRAF

7774 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:57 pm Re: PPG Wave 3.V

PPG Wave 3.V is the closest emulation of a real PPP Wave 2.2/2.3 that you could get so i you are after that sound this should be you choice.

There are other wavetable synths but it also about having the proper wavetables.
PPG Wave 3.V has more than 100 new wavetables than e.g. in the old 2.V plugin and all wavetables done by Wolfgang Palm himself. Besides that Wolfgang also did a bunch of factory presets himself.

Concerning a comparison of the old 2.V and the new 3.V plugin here is a comparison chart:
http://www.waldorf-music.info/comparison-to-ppg-wave-2v

As a fan of Wolfhang Palm and PPG of yourse i also got Wavegenerator. It is awesome and could do many sounds of PPg Wave 3.V but not all of them.
PPG Wave 3.V also offers sample import which is not found in both Wavegenerator and Zebra that was mentioned above.

For the ultimate "PPG experience" havng both PPG Wave 3.V and Wavegenerator seems to be a great combination.

INgo
Waldorf Beta Forum Manager
"Atmospheric Transients" for PPG Wave 3.V
"Analog vs Digital" for Blofeld
Win 7 64-bit / Live 9 / Reaper / Studio One 2.6 / Blofeld / Pulse 2 /Waldorf + Tone 2 plugins + others
KVRist

399 posts since 10 Jul, 2006, from Tampa

Postby planetearth; Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:05 pm Re: PPG Wave 3.V

Ingonator wrote:PPG Wave 3.V is the closest emulation of a real PPP Wave 2.2/2.3 that you could get so i you are after that sound this should be you choice.

INgo

No doubt that the Wave 3.V is the best bet, but at $180 (US), it's not exactly the cheapest--especially if you're not sure it's what you want. It sounds like the OP is looking for a way to justify buying Zebra, which is why I suggested the free emulation.

But I had forgotten that PPG will give you a 100-day "evaluation license" so you can try out a fully functioning version of PPG Wave 3.V for yourself. I did, and ended up getting 3.V, because the sounds (to me) were like nothing else. And to be honest, I've used it more than I've used Zebra.

Steve
I'm looking for collaborators. Anyone interested?
Listen to some of my stuff here: www.soundcloud.com/shdesigns .
KVRist

218 posts since 5 Mar, 2004

Postby Buka; Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:40 pm Re: PPG Wave 3.V

KVRian

562 posts since 30 Dec, 2004

Postby masterhiggins; Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:52 pm Re: PPG Wave 3.V

planetearth wrote:No doubt that the Wave 3.V is the best bet, but at $180 (US), it's not exactly the cheapest--especially if you're not sure it's what you want.

At Jrrshop it's $143.65 after the killerkitty15 coupon. Not dirt cheap of course but certainly better than $180. :)

I'd recommend trying it of course. Waldorf (especially the PPG) has a very distinctive sound which you'll pretty much know right away if you like it. Flipping through the presets will give you a pretty good idea of what it's good for.

-Sam
KVRist

102 posts since 14 Jan, 2014, from The North. England.

Postby DrewDale; Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:22 am Re: PPG Wave 3.V

[urlmod edit [/url]

You can get banks and patches for it here - http://www.kvraudio.com/product/waldorf-edition-ppg-wave-2-v-by-waldorf/downloads
Last edited by DrewDale on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
KIT- Boss DR220E, Korg Microkorg, Roland JX305, Yamaha CS01, Yamaha Rm1x, Yamaha SY35, Zoom ST224.
TOYS- Casio DM-100, Casio VL-1, Korg Monotron series, Stylophone, Yamaha QY10, Yamaha VSS30.
DAW - FL Studio 11. Producer Edition on Windows 8.1 Pro.
something special

7868 posts since 15 Mar, 2002, from gone riding

Postby bluedad; Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:34 am Re: PPG Wave 3.V

despite the fact they claim to have all legal stuff, I'm not too sure. They also have Uhe's Tyrell, which is a free synth, but
only legally obtained at u-he.com. They also have some Tal stuff.
I want to thank IK for the trip to Hawaii and for letting me play with ST3 since January.
KVRist

102 posts since 14 Jan, 2014, from The North. England.

Postby DrewDale; Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:20 am Re: PPG Wave 3.V

bluedad wrote:despite the fact they claim to have all legal stuff, I'm not too sure. They also have Uhe's Tyrell, which is a free synth, but only legally obtained at u-he.com. They also have some Tal stuff.

My apologies.
KIT- Boss DR220E, Korg Microkorg, Roland JX305, Yamaha CS01, Yamaha Rm1x, Yamaha SY35, Zoom ST224.
TOYS- Casio DM-100, Casio VL-1, Korg Monotron series, Stylophone, Yamaha QY10, Yamaha VSS30.
DAW - FL Studio 11. Producer Edition on Windows 8.1 Pro.
KVRAF

3669 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:43 am Re: PPG Wave 3.V

masterhiggins wrote:
planetearth wrote:No doubt that the Wave 3.V is the best bet, but at $180 (US), it's not exactly the cheapest--especially if you're not sure it's what you want.

At Jrrshop it's $143.65 after the killerkitty15 coupon. Not dirt cheap of course but certainly better than $180. :)

I'd recommend trying it of course. Waldorf (especially the PPG) has a very distinctive sound which you'll pretty much know right away if you like it. Flipping through the presets will give you a pretty good idea of what it's good for.

-Sam

That's awesome.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments