Polarity question.

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If I hold a mic up to the speaker and record the sound of a track will the resulting new track have the flip polarity. This is what seems to be happening, but perhaps that is normal. Anyone definitively know?

I assume you mean the recording and original are out of phase. It has to be possible as that's how noise-cancelling headphones and eliminating noise in fighter plane cockpits works. I wouldn't imagine for a moment that it's an intrinsic property of performing the action you describe, however, but I may be wrong.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Sound, digitally, takes time to get through your soundcard's buffers (cf your latency settings). Sound, physically, also takes time to travel through air.
So your recorded sound from a speaker is pretty much guaranteed to be out of time and out of phase with the original recording being played back. I'd actually be surprised if it was as exact as negative polarity, but moving the mic would probably give you some control over it.
Im not sure why it would be important though. Worlidising, or reamping, the two scenarios I'm familiar of where this kind of thing might be used, dont require the original signal, its a '100% wet' process. What are you trying to do?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I have had some troubles with the timing auto detect, so I started adjusting the timings myself manually... time consuming. Anyway, while doing this I noticed that when I sent a single pulse wave out that the returning wave being recorded seemed to be the polar opposite.

I don't know, that may be normal. But I don't believe it is a timing issue.

Return to “Tracktion”