Open Sound Control (OSC) is here

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

reflex58 wrote:The Behringher x32 does speak OSC I I said in the prior post I have this working with the app "x32midiosc" which runs as a on the OSX terminal.
It will also run with the MCU concurrently.
OK, it was not visible on the Behringer product description page. I thought it worked the other way round.
I looked at the X32 OSC description. As far as I understand the OSC addresses are fixed. Therefore, you would need to change the OSC addresses in my OSC script to make it work.
If you want to give it a shot: Change the addresses in OSCParser.js and OSCWriter.js.

ThomasHelzle wrote:would it make sense to have localhost/127.0.0.1 as default?.
It is now checked in with 127.0.0.1.

Thank you for your reply, I am certainly a newbie when it comes to Java.
I have done some basic scripts for my keyboards but not much else.
I will see what I can figure out.
In the meanwhile using x32midiosc, I have gotten to the where the faders are in BWS are controlling audio in in the x32 vice just in BWS.Normally when the MCU script I am audio within BWS which being routed in stereo from the BWS master faders to two outputs of the x32 When running with x32midiosc I had to do some routing of outputs
because you controlling both mix in BWS
The mix can now take place in the x32 vice BWS and the MIX in the x32
So the solution was two create 2 mixes one BWS one x32
Here how, first iI defeat the main output of BWS (Which is routed to out 31/32 without a external EFX router on the master track
It is then muted on the x32 ch 31/32 to avoid feedback. THen I put a external EFX router on every audio/instrument track in BWS and route it each individual out to input channel on the x32
The control is bi-directional, the caveat is that you must create 32 audio/instrument tracks, and 16 EFX returns in BWS, for it to properly be represented on the x32 32 mixer channels and 16 busses channels and the master fader.

It will work without this setup in BWS but what is seen on the BWS GUI will not match whats is on the x32 faders
the last thing to remember is that stereo or mono in BWS is represented by one fader.
If a instrument track is routed in stereo via the external EFX router in BWS {one fader the BWS nixer) two faders on the x32 it may lead to some confusion as to what you are controlling.
If the tracks are routed in mono then the BWS/x32 mixer relationship is one to one
To bet the mix coming from BWS enable its master Fader (i have this routed to outputs 31/32 on x32 which are muted there also
The individual channels on the x32 must be muted to avoid feedback as the main mix is coming from BWS
For those that like the idea of mixing "out the box" but also don't want to give up the "in the box option.
With some clever routing to a multi i/o audio interace or Multi i/o digital mixer you can have the nest of both
I pretty sure that The Presonus digital mixers have OSC Capability also.
Please excuse any typos I am a one finger kind of guy with bad eyesight.

Toms original TouchOSC layout + script uses MIDI not OSC! Therefore, you need to do some additional configuration on the server side. With OSC you only need my script and an OSC capable client, like TouchOSC.
Okay, I'm kind of at a loss as far as figuring this one (with Ubuntu and JACK) out. I've been trying to get this running (on a relatively casual basis) since you posted your script. My first question is with step 5. I can't figure out for the life of me how to add a virtual MIDI port, let alone whether I need one or not. A little guidance would be awesome!

Step 6 I thought I understood, but that seems to not be the case. Your instructions say:
Adjust the IP-adresses and ports of your computer and the client device you want to use in the script "OSC.control.js". For testing with the Max patch you can use localhost (127.0.0.1)
So I opened up your OSC.control.js in Gedit and made the following changes:

Code: Select all

//var RECEIVE_HOST = '127.0.0.1';
var RECEIVE_HOST = 'MY.COMPUTER'S.IP.HERE';
var RECEIVE_PORT = 8000;
var SEND_HOST    = 'MY.TABLET'S.IP.HERE';
//var SEND_HOST    = '127.0.0.1';
var SEND_PORT    = 9000;
and I am still getting no connectivity. For the record, I can get touchOSC to talk to Renoise, but I cannot get it to talk to Bitwig. What am I missing here??
...If you have to fix it with a computer: quantized, pitch corrected, and overly inspected, then you can't do it, and I can't get behind that!
-Henry Rollins; I Can't Get Behind That-from William Shatner's, "Has Been"

tomsa wrote:My first question is with step 5. I can't figure out for the life of me how to add a virtual MIDI port, let alone whether I need one or not. A little guidance would be awesome!
You can use any midi port you have on the system. E.g. if a keyboard port allows to be opened multiple times you can use this as well. This is only necessary for sending/playing midi notes. All the controller functionality works without it.
tomsa wrote:So I opened up your OSC.control.js in Gedit and made the following changes:

Code: Select all

//var RECEIVE_HOST = '127.0.0.1';
var RECEIVE_HOST = 'MY.COMPUTER'S.IP.HERE';
var RECEIVE_PORT = 8000;
var SEND_HOST    = 'MY.TABLET'S.IP.HERE';
//var SEND_HOST    = '127.0.0.1';
var SEND_PORT    = 9000;
and I am still getting no connectivity. For the record, I can get touchOSC to talk to Renoise, but I cannot get it to talk to Bitwig. What am I missing here??
Have you checked if Bitwig is blocked in the Firewall?
Also you can first try it only locally (use 127.0.0.1). If you do not have a test client you can install PD (very similar to Max but Open Source).

Hello,
i also try to make touchosc work on my macbook and my ipad,
but i`m not getting it...i really don`t understand anything about javascript, just read the installation instructions in the wiki and tried to edit the "OSCcontrol.js" file.
Via the touch osc bridge i can play midi-notes in Bitwig, but all the "osc" functions don`t work, i`m for sure doing something wrong..
Maybe someone else has it up running on a mac and ipad and could help me with a tip, how to set up those IP-Adresses and Ports correctly? I`m definetly lost in this subject.I made the edits in the .js file with textedit, maybe this is also a fault?
i would be very thankful for anykind of tips!

timohenrik wrote: Via the touch osc bridge i can play midi-notes in Bitwig, but all the "osc" functions don`t work, i`m for sure doing something wrong..
The bridge is as the name implies a converter from OSC to midi. With that utility you can control software which only supports midi but not OSC.
With TouchOSC you can speak now directly to Bitwig via my script. Therefore, you need to deactivate the bridge or otherwise TouchOSC will connect to the bridge and not to Bitwig.

first, thank u very much moss for the quick reply!
i turned off midi-bridge an the bridge-app on my mac, and
tried to edit the .js file with my ip-adresses (i saw, what tomsa wrote and tried it this way).
but i still no connection i`m still missing something..
i also added the osc-controller in bitwig etc.
it would be very kind, if u could help me out, in technical issues like that, im a super noob :?
thanks anyway, timo

timohenrik wrote:it would be very kind, if u could help me out, in technical issues like that, im a super noob :?
Maybe a Mac user can jump in here?

yes..that would be great...until then, i keep trying :-)

Here's a little update for you: 1.11

- Tempo can now be set with comma values, e.g.: /tempo/raw 128.55
- Tempo changes are sent to clients
- Bugfix: Full maximum value range of knobs might not have been reached.

Get it from:
http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitwig/Bitwig.html

Where is exactly the info for installation?

Napalm Candy wrote:Where is exactly the info for installation?
See first post of this thread :-)
The Wiki is linked from my homepage. Don't get the GitHub version it is experimental!

https://github.com/git-moss/OSC4Bitwig/ ... stallation

Trying to connect my Android Tablet via touchosc for Toms Script. How do I proceed? I downloaded the zip and extracted everything in the controllers folders. bitwig detecs the OSC , I select it but then what? My tablet does not see any OSC device and if I select Touchosch Bride as the midi in nothing happens neither. Sorry, dont know too much about scripts.

New update with full Bitwig 1.1 compatibility is online.

**NOTE: The sender can now also be configured in the properties dialog. But setting the receiver there has no effect! You still have to set it in the script (see the Installation instruxtions in the Wiki).**

Get it from: http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitwig/Bitwig.html
Also see the updated Wiki documentation.

Enjoy!

Updates:

- Supports OSC Bundles (as used by Lemur)
- Added the following messages to be received:
- /tempo/tap
- /track/add/audio
- /track/add/effect
- /track/add/instrument
- /overdub/launcher
- /track/{n}/monitor
- /track/{n}/monitor/auto
- /master/monitor
- /master/monitor/auto
- /indicate/volume
- /indicate/param
- /indicate/macro
- Added the following messages to be sent:
- /device/name
- /device/bypass
- /device/category
- /device/creator
- /device/preset
- /repeat
- /overdub/launcher
- /overdub
- /track/{n}/monitor
- /track/{n}/monitor/auto
- /master/monitor
- /master/monitor/auto
- Unified fx, fxparam and device commands:
- /fx -> /device
- /fxparam -> /device/param
- /device/params -> /device/param
- Display of note/drum range when octave is changed
- Clip launch command has to be the word 'launch' as the last part of the path to be consistent with scene launch, e.g. /track/1/clip/2/launch.
- Hosts and Ports can now be configured via the preferences dialog (restart of script required). NOTE: The receiver is not working, you still need to set it in the script!
- Note values are now received linear (not in an 8x8 matrix).
- Bugfix: /play did sometime send wrong values
- Bugfix: Scene commands are now accepted without a value
- Bugfix: Track navigation by page did not select a track

Return to “Controller Scripting”