Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Unlikely, given that NI isn't exactly forthcoming about the specifications about their formats and other such things (if someone who actually knows things could correct me on this?) not to mention that FM8 has such a completely different set of features and extras that might make things a bit messy. I would assume that it'd be possible to look at the ADSR of the various operators in any given FM8 patch, and create a matching sysex or equivalent for Dexed to read..

I actually ran a bit of an experiment a while back, trying to manually transplant an FM8 patch into other FM synths and, let's just say, it didn't exactly go that well. A lot of the patches rely on the special features found in FM8 such as the morphing pad, the effects, so on and so forth.

I am curious, though, has anyone gone to the effort of taking a peek inside a Massive/FM8/etc. patch?

Dexed will never support the FM8 format simply because the FM8 engine is way more complex than the original DX7. Better keep the *translating* efforts for the 4-op synths that are, somewhat similar to the DX7.
Maybe slightly off-topic since this is the instruments subforum, but has any really experimented with stacking different FM VSTis on top of each other? It's not like VA synths where the sound is a bit more mobile, but I'm curious if tiny little differences in the algorithms that various FM synths use will make them sound different in a number of tiny ways.
It's more than the algorithms. Yes it is only math but it is how you do the maths that counts. Tiny in math can also mean big. So FM software can be very different from each others and to me this is a good thing !

First the envelopes plays a very big role in the phase modulation calculation. A subtle variation in the envelopes can bring a very different timbre since the carrier pitch is reacting to the modulator envelope.

Then there is the oscillators... The DX7 is totally digital and multiplications in 1983 were very costy. Yamaha developed a way to embed the sine wave lookup with the envelope, this without having to do any multiplications (for the amplitude). In my current tests, the sine wave lookup à la DX100 do give some old-school aliasing and dirty goodies that *new with faster processor* software sine wave lookup with multiplication doesn't. Anyway, this forum was a very interesting to read : http://forums.submarine.org.uk/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=9.

And then, there is the DAC. But I won't discuss this since this is very debatable. One thing I know is that it is not only by reducing the bit rate and the sample rate that you will get results. Btw, the DX7 DAC is running at 49096 Hz. Even worst, the DAC on the DX7 is using 12-bit, but there is also a 4-bit 'analog' attenuator afterwards the controls the volume at the output. That gives the 12-bit DAC a little bit more room, but little more noise. To me, to have a better emulation, you have to mathematically apply the bit limitation at the source (with the sum of log), not at the end with the DAC.

Anyway, the DAC also produce analog distortion that gives great colors ! Emulating this can be very tricky. Out of scope for Dexed.

Soo... Dexed will get OPL3 / sum of log sine lookup mode in the next version. All of this switchable between the new and the older engine. But this needs more work... so don't expect a new Dexed release in the coming weeks.

Still, I want to do the UI until the end of year. :party:

A great, great work !
And obviously... Totally enthralling!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

May I ask a little modification in the CART browser when it browses in a zip file?

It would be nice if it showed only the *.syx files.

Currently in its list it shows... all the files, even those having a different extension. The best would be that it does not show them.

Hence the list shown would allow the load of only real sysex files... and we could add some information files (readme.txt files in several folders, URL files to webpages, etc.) in the zip package to document it.

For example, I have built a package which contains currently 864 syx files with NO duplicates (864x32=27648 patches). But I have included also some readme.txt files (and URL files) at different places, and it would be nice if the CART browser didn't show them. It would avoid the risk to load one of these files by error at the place of a sysex.

(I add that it is a first version of my compilation... I shall publish it here in the next days, and there will be updates because I have yet much more sysex files but I want to test them all before I include them in the pack).
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

asb2m10 wrote:Dexed will never support the FM8 format simply because the FM8 engine is way more complex than the original DX7. Better keep the *translating* efforts for the 4-op synths that are, somewhat similar to the DX7.
Don't try to do to many things with Dexed. DX7 6-OP support is enough for a freeware synth. Just keep the scope small, and polish it till perfection. The guy requesting the cart option stop displaying non .syx files is an example of the small things to fine tune.

Also, there is nothing wrong for charging a little money for a separate 4-OP VSTI. I would prefer Dexed stay focused.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:
asb2m10 wrote:Dexed will never support the FM8 format simply because the FM8 engine is way more complex than the original DX7. Better keep the *translating* efforts for the 4-op synths that are, somewhat similar to the DX7.
Don't try to do to many things with Dexed. DX7 6-OP support is enough for a freeware synth. Just keep the scope small, and polish it till perfection. The guy requesting the cart option stop displaying non .syx files is an example of the small things to fine tune.

Also, there is nothing wrong for charging a little money for a separate 4-OP VSTI. I would prefer Dexed stay focused.
I totally agree. Better make something which does few but does it very well rather than something which does a lot but could do nothing perfectly.

Dexed is aimed at be a DX7 emulation. Not an FM8 emulation (anyway, the FM8 format is probably patented and NI could ruin the Dexed project by a legal way).

And even the 4-OP algorithms... I would prefer to see them in a parallel product! Not in Dexed!

The Yamaha 6-OP family is already wide enough to be the unique focus of Dexed! This Yamaha 6-OP family was made of:
  • DX7: First digital synthesizer to unseat the analog synths as king.
  • DX7IID: Improves on the DX7 with 16 bit DACs, stereo outputs (with pan EG), bi-timbral, more memory, microtuning, programable controlers and unison voice modes.
  • DX7IIFD: Adds a floppy drive to the DX7IID.
  • DX7S: Basically a mono-timbral DX7IID.
  • TX7: Basically a desktop version of a TF1 module.
  • TX802: Basically an 8 voice multitimbral DX7IID in a rack.
  • DX1: Contains the functionaly of 2 DX7's with an LED based interface.
  • DX5: Basically a DX1 without the LED interface or wooden keys.
  • TX816: Contains the functionaly of 8 DX7's (i.e. TF1 modules) in a rack (only editable via MIDI).
  • TX216: Basically a TX816 with the 6 empty TF1 module slots.
I think that it seems to be already a large choice of emulated synths! It's essential to stay wise. All their 6-OP sysex files are compatible so they all can be used in Dexed. In my opinion it is better to stay focused on this 6-OP family and not include the 4-OP family in Dexed!

And if you want to create an equivalent with the Yamaha 4-OP family, nothing forbid you, but don't touch to the 6-OP Dexed structure... reuse the source code to create another synth that you'll name in a similar way if you want (Dexen for example, reminding the name DX9), that second synth being aimed at reproduce (and use their sysex) these 4-OP Yamaha synths (and exclusively the 4-OP family, nothing else):
  • DX9: Yamaha's first 4-OP FM synth..
  • DX21: Adds bitimbral capabilities, swapping the volume EG for a pitch EG (operator EGs become ADSR).
  • DX27: Expands the DX9 patch memory and adds velocity via MIDI, while sacrificing some LFO waveforms.
  • DX100: Compact DX27 with 4 octave mini keys.
  • FB01: Adds 8 voice multitimbral to the DX21 features.
  • DX11: Adds 7 operator waveforms, but LFOs are no longer per voice.
  • TX81z: Rack version of the DX11.
  • YS100: Simplified FM.
This can be a future project if you want... But please, do NOT include them in Dexed! Because it could lead you to a future nightmare in the maintenance cycle to manage the differences between 4-OP and 6-OP in the issues, the bugs and the evolutions. It's not as simple as it could appear at first sight.

You can see by the bye... that the differences between these two families are not only in the number of OPs!

Stay wise: Dexed = 6-OP, and it's already largely enough to busy yourself as well as all the musicians with that 6-OP family! If you want to manage the 4-OP family... create a brother to Dexed!

And do not take any legal (and technical) risk with Native Instruments! The FM8 format is not at all in the public domain as long as FM8 is alive. The consequences could be so wide that they could ruin Dexed!

That was a great read Winny! Thanks :ud:

The 4-op support will be a sysex translation of a DX21/DX27/DX100 patch to a DX7 one. The Python code is already written http://dxconvert.martintarenskeen.nl, I simply need to adapt it. Vive l'open source.

The Dexed architecture will never change. It's a DX7 6-op synth and the file format will always be a DX7 sysex. Period.

When I'm talking about the 4-op sound, it's all about the sound engine or the way that the maths are done. Not specifically about the four operators; it's about the OPL chips that have been a lot more reversed engineered than the DX7 ones. So I'm adapting the knowledge of the OPL chips to the current engine so I can get closer to a real DX7. Nothing on the interface will change, just the option to switch between engine.

Bottom line, I suspect that the DX7 uses the same maths but simply with a higher resolution. I will keep the 8-bit (OPL-3/YM2151/DX27) resolution; simply because it sounds cool.

And yes BlackWinny, only .syx files will be added to the "CART" button in the next version.

Can you add a toggle switch to disable MIDI Thru so only .syx message get transmitted?

asb2m10 wrote:The 4-op support will be a sysex translation of a DX21/DX27/DX100 patch to a DX7 one. The Python code is already written http://dxconvert.martintarenskeen.nl, I simply need to adapt it. Vive l'open source.
if you plan on using this code as part of your synth, i believe you'd have to make it open source too, since the code you mentioned is under GPL.

EDIT: sorry, didn't notice your synth was already under GPL :-)
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

The real benefit in making a separate 4-OP VST is the GUI can be specifically tailored for 4-OP FM.

electro wrote:The real benefit in making a separate 4-OP VST is the GUI can be specifically tailored for 4-OP FM.
And much more readable. The GUI as it is currently for Dexed is already very hardly readable for persons having a severe visual impairment... It could be at least 150% wider, with the six OPs much more isolated visually and with the place to have real buttons.

And with a separate 4-OP VST it would be still better.

And everyone would gain in all that.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just found this tonight and I love it. My experience with FM is mostly with modern software like Sytrus and Zebra so I don't totally get the interface of this yet, but the sound is wonderful! Nice to see a great sounding old school FM emulation being developed, fills some of the void left by leaving VOPM behind when I went all 64bit

HELLO.
I'm NHJO HYENNRO W/RUSSIA/KOREA/ETC.

Where is OSCILLATOR IN DEXED?

www.soundcloud.com/nhjo-sounds
www.nhjohyennro.com
www.nhjohyennrorecords.com
www.nhjosounds.com
www.nhjogallery.com
www.nhjoname.com
www.nhjolessen.com
www.nhjosynthesizer.com
082 10 3312 2747
nhjohyennro@naver.com
nhjohyennro <katalk, skype
NHJO HYENNRO
I'm AZ NHJO HYENNRO W/RUSSIA/KOREA/ETC.
I'm Musik Producer, Sound Designer, Actor, Singasongwriter, Sportsman
cafe.naver.com/aznhjohyennrosounds
www.nhjosounds.com
www.nhjogallery.com
www.nhjosynthesizer.com
nhjohyennro@naver.com
NHJO HYENNRO

TheNickC wrote:Just found this tonight and I love it. My experience with FM is mostly with modern software like Sytrus and Zebra so I don't totally get the interface of this yet, but the sound is wonderful! Nice to see a great sounding old school FM emulation being developed, fills some of the void left by leaving VOPM behind when I went all 64bit
It is an amazing emulation of the DX7. Scroll through the thread for download links to many syx files of original DX7 sounds that can be used in this synth. A new GUI is in the planing too :)

Return to “Instruments”