Feature Request: Step Record

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can the OP send in a request via the Tech support page?
Then we can be sure the BWS guys add this to the list :)
I did that for a few FR and I got a response from Dom that its been put on the list.

and +1 for this feature.

nori.lam wrote:Can the OP send in a request via the Tech support page?
Good call, I just submitted it there (along with the mockup). :)

bump (well ... so Bring Up not My Post :ud: ) +1
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

So ture. I recently began to use Bitwig and realized the lack of some critical piano roll features. I always loved how ableton's piano roll worked. Multiple notes auditioning by box-selecting them, Using arrow keys to audition them as well, Being able to input notes with my computer keyboard. Those features made me able to make music at everywhere even without any midi controller.

But when I was on Bitwig, I went like "okay, maybe i can just buy some new affordable 25key-controller and use step recording" and then there is no such thing in Bitwig!

All I can do is merely using this devilish pencil tool now which makes me crazy. I really hope 1.1 will bring some new great features for Bitwig's piano roll editor.

+1 for the feature

slowsmith wrote:Being able to input notes with my computer keyboard. ... made me able to make music at everywhere even without any midi controller.
You CAN press the Caps Lock key and input notes with the keyboard, at least.

But yes, I was just looking to do this, and sadly can't. Such a great DAW; this is one feature I'd love to see, too...

slowsmith wrote:So ture. I recently began to use Bitwig and realized the lack of some critical piano roll features. I always loved how ableton's piano roll worked. Multiple notes auditioning by box-selecting them, Using arrow keys to audition them as well, Being able to input notes with my computer keyboard. Those features made me able to make music at everywhere even without any midi controller.

But when I was on Bitwig, I went like "okay, maybe i can just buy some new affordable 25key-controller and use step recording" and then there is no such thing in Bitwig!

All I can do is merely using this devilish pencil tool now which makes me crazy. I really hope 1.1 will bring some new great features for Bitwig's piano roll editor.

+1 for the feature
1.1 does audition notes when you move them with the keyboard, so that's good. I wrote the devs about auditioning when selecting a long time ago too, I really hope we get that eventually, such a great way to hear chords and stuff without having an actual scrub tool.

Ogopogo wrote:1.1 does audition notes when you move them with the keyboard, so that's good. I wrote the devs about auditioning when selecting a long time ago too, I really hope we get that eventually, such a great way to hear chords and stuff without having an actual scrub tool.
+1 For auditioning chords. In 1.1 you still don't hear the notes when moving them horizontally with the keyboard, only vertically. This isn't as crucial as vertical, but the piano roll is improving in baby steps. :|

+1 for this. I worked a lot with trackers in past (Renoise, MT, etc) and this is really a feature that I want to see in BWS.

The main thing about Step Recording is that Trackers have the most evolved step recording abilities at this time. ( Ableton FL Studio Cubase etc have only handicapped versions of a true step recorder implemented within )

It used to evolve from the Hardware Step Recorders like the Roland W30, but since the invention of VST there has not been a true evolution for real step recording.

And this is where bitwig can really hit the jackpot...

Combining both the VSTi technology, and the ability to Really WRITE music with your computer.

Enabling us to Play the computer and to compose without the mouse...

Trust me, when you do it properly, in the year 2015 - 2016 Bitwig will win all the DAW competitions.

All that needs to be done is to have All ( not just few features ) of a program like FT2 implemented to the stepsequencing, to give the modern DAW a real boost.

In what way do you consider a tracker better than Live for step recording?

Last edited by xbitz on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

nechronics wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
nechronics wrote:Yes, very useful...Logic actually has this built in without needing to hold down anything like Live...you switch on an option and it step records automatically. You can keep adding notes to a chord...once you let go of all notes, it automatically moves to the next position on the grid and you can build a different chord.
How do you make longer notes? or skip a step?
Nope, not that I'm aware of. I certainly like it better in Live :)
On the contrary, Logic provides freely assignable key commands for both actions.
If you like 80s retro sounds, check out my latest tune…

... and if you just want a tracker, use Renoise. I started electronic music with trackers, but there is no way, in my opinion, that the tracker editing is superior to the piano roll. Better for using just the computer keyboard? Absolutely! Better for my enjoyment? Nope! Does the Bitwig piano roll need work? Yep. But, can it be better with just some added keyboard shortcuts and nothing to do with a tracker-style interface? Absolutely!

shadiradio wrote:
Ogopogo wrote:1.1 does audition notes when you move them with the keyboard, so that's good. I wrote the devs about auditioning when selecting a long time ago too, I really hope we get that eventually, such a great way to hear chords and stuff without having an actual scrub tool.
+1 For auditioning chords. In 1.1 you still don't hear the notes when moving them horizontally with the keyboard, only vertically. This isn't as crucial as vertical, but the piano roll is improving in baby steps. :|

The scrub/auditioning chords would be an amazing addition to Bitwig. Just saw this tool in FL Studio for the first time. Would make my creative life so much easier. :tu:
Mid 2012 Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5
www.WeAreMadHouse.com

Return to “Bitwig”