Why so many people complain about Bitwig performance?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ronnyrydgren wrote:
LLCoolJeans wrote:
ronnyrydgren wrote:Because of this. project not even active. cause of project being big it lags even if audio engine isnt active and no cpu usage anyway. weird right.
check video you can easy tell that bitwigs audio engine isn't active in left up corner. but look how it lags. The marking of clips go soo slow, even moving sections go slow.

same is when dragging, it goes slow. i love bitwig but this is annoying as hell for work flow, it totally destroy my good mood.
This happens to me when I have a million audio clips. I tend to work by cutting everything up into really tiny parts and then rearranging them. Try bouncing some tracks, or even just consolidating them. You have a lot less than I do. Maybe you'll see an improvement if you update Java? I believe it's a GUI performance issue because this happens to me with just audio clips.
its not gui issue. this happens when you have alot of midi information, i have not tried with audio clips in loads of them. i run latest java. it should not act like that anyway. bitwig is only daw i feelt does this and its annoying as hell. more people here are annoyed with performance also. u cant talk away what is annoying others. cheers u is happy with performance but if we feel there is a problem let us think like that. just cause u like consulidate and bounce doesnt mean the rest like to do extra work to get bitwig to flow as other daws. in other daws u dont have to do this.i love bitwig but this is really a big downside of everything. stil sticking with bitwig though:) love it except this
Well @ my PC its NOT the MIDI data.. but when you got a shitload of audio clips.
What llcooljeans says sounds notourious to me. When i render all those pieces together it runs smooth again.. also with projects what i see in pictures here. :?:
But its a weird thing for sure...

And i dont think llcooljeans is talking the problem away, i see it more as a solution. :hug:

askewd wrote:I've been testing bitwig performance since day one and it seems that it's steadily improved and the latest version matches Logic in terms if plugin count on my machine (imac Yosemite) and no clicks & pops any more which is great! Using native devices is actually fantastic and they hardly register a cpu hit at all.

But there is a problem - and it is connected to the number of regions. If a project has many regions, regardless of the Synths used, it slows down. I can bring my computer to its knees with one track simply by making a very small region and looping it out over a few minutes of time. The longer I stretch it out the slower the program becomes. If I consolidate it, the problem goes away instantly!

Support are aware & hopefully fixing it.

Other than this, I find bitwig performance very good. I've done extremely complex projects filled with vsts including many instances of Nebula, Synths & effects on 4x oversampling, etc etc. (i do tend to mix at 1024 buffer though)

Cheers
Interesting. I have definitely noticed this a bit.

Also does anybody else still get an issue with maaaaajor interface lag when selecting a load of midi notes? If I record e.g. a 32 bar long drum sequence (no loops), then select all the notes to quantize them, the interface basically grinds to a half whilst the notes are selected.

codec17 wrote:
ronnyrydgren wrote:
LLCoolJeans wrote:
ronnyrydgren wrote:Because of this. project not even active. cause of project being big it lags even if audio engine isnt active and no cpu usage anyway. weird right.
check video you can easy tell that bitwigs audio engine isn't active in left up corner. but look how it lags. The marking of clips go soo slow, even moving sections go slow.

same is when dragging, it goes slow. i love bitwig but this is annoying as hell for work flow, it totally destroy my good mood.
This happens to me when I have a million audio clips. I tend to work by cutting everything up into really tiny parts and then rearranging them. Try bouncing some tracks, or even just consolidating them. You have a lot less than I do. Maybe you'll see an improvement if you update Java? I believe it's a GUI performance issue because this happens to me with just audio clips.
its not gui issue. this happens when you have alot of midi information, i have not tried with audio clips in loads of them. i run latest java. it should not act like that anyway. bitwig is only daw i feelt does this and its annoying as hell. more people here are annoyed with performance also. u cant talk away what is annoying others. cheers u is happy with performance but if we feel there is a problem let us think like that. just cause u like consulidate and bounce doesnt mean the rest like to do extra work to get bitwig to flow as other daws. in other daws u dont have to do this.i love bitwig but this is really a big downside of everything. stil sticking with bitwig though:) love it except this
Well @ my PC its NOT the MIDI data.. but when you got a shitload of audio clips.
What llcooljeans says sounds notourious to me. When i render all those pieces together it runs smooth again.. also with projects what i see in pictures here. :?:
But its a weird thing for sure...

And i dont think llcooljeans is talking the problem away, i see it more as a solution. :hug:
Maybe you don't run everything through midi. Maybe you bounce out a lot? or its a couple of people having this issue. You both talk away the issue also both of you. "Solution" my ass. A solution is when this is fixed so there is no issue. Just cause both of you run free without this problem doesn't make my issue better.
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

:) :) :) :)
Last edited by LLCoolJeans on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LLCoolJeans wrote:I'm only posting my workaround because this isn't the venue to report bugs/issues. I don't like bouncing and consolidating either but that's what bug reports and emails to the company are for. Just trying to help those out who haven't tried consolidating and bouncing. I understand that it's frustrating. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Stay based fam.
Ah yes you have right i am sorry :)
I wrote to tech support, they agreed that they would check into this and how they can improve performance :)
Love bitwig tech support. Always so helpful, but i bet its pretty busy now they the awaiting bitwig 1.2 update.
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard

I'm trying to capture few tracks at once from mix view to arranger. Every time I hit record button GUI slows down. There is no effects or vsts, cpu usage is low, disk io is low (SSD drive), no audio glitches. Seems like GUI problem.
http://youtu.be/uUMmU8M4pO0

lem8r wrote:I'm trying to capture few tracks at once from mix view to arranger. Every time I hit record button GUI slows down. There is no effects or vsts, cpu usage is low, disk io is low (SSD drive), no audio glitches. Seems like GUI problem.
http://youtu.be/uUMmU8M4pO0
SEND IT ASAP TO TECHSUPPORT! I want bitwig better and faster and videos like that will help us! :) Make them aware of the problems :) Bitwig is still the most fun daw soo lets help it make it the best! :D

:x :x :x :x :x :x
Last edited by LLCoolJeans on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm interested in giving Bitwig a go. How does the performance and cpu usage compare to like Reaper , Pro Tools 11 and Cubase 8. I can have very large VSTI/AAX based projects but with Ableton and Flstudio in past I haven't been able to have even have half as many instruments and effects open. How does Bigwig perform compared to the others?

DrFolder wrote:I'm interested in giving Bitwig a go. How does the performance and cpu usage compare to like Reaper , Pro Tools 11 and Cubase 8. I can have very large VSTI/AAX based projects but with Ableton and Flstudio in past I haven't been able to have even have half as many instruments and effects open. How does Bigwig perform compared to the others?
Best way to find out is to try de demo version.

reporting back: i removed all 32-bit VSTs, but unfortunately saw no change to the project's performance. think it's an issue of having too many channels, but comparable sized projects in other DAWs run much smoother. really hoping this gets addressed in the next main update

i need 2048 samples buffer.
night life...
sry but i can't talk alone.

Hez wrote:
askewd wrote:I've been testing bitwig performance since day one and it seems that it's steadily improved and the latest version matches Logic in terms if plugin count on my machine (imac Yosemite) and no clicks & pops any more which is great! Using native devices is actually fantastic and they hardly register a cpu hit at all.

But there is a problem - and it is connected to the number of regions. If a project has many regions, regardless of the Synths used, it slows down. I can bring my computer to its knees with one track simply by making a very small region and looping it out over a few minutes of time. The longer I stretch it out the slower the program becomes. If I consolidate it, the problem goes away instantly!

Support are aware & hopefully fixing it.

Other than this, I find bitwig performance very good. I've done extremely complex projects filled with vsts including many instances of Nebula, Synths & effects on 4x oversampling, etc etc. (i do tend to mix at 1024 buffer though)

Cheers
Interesting. I have definitely noticed this a bit.

Also does anybody else still get an issue with maaaaajor interface lag when selecting a load of midi notes? If I record e.g. a 32 bar long drum sequence (no loops), then select all the notes to quantize them, the interface basically grinds to a half whilst the notes are selected.
I have been using Bitwig for a few weeks now, new owner. So I have not had a project with much data in it.

Well, I'm now on 1.2 and recorded 64 bars of midi last night. I then sliced the clip up into 1 bar sections. (don't ask why lol). Using either the 'object selection' or 'time selection tool' to select a large section of the bars results in Bitwig becoming completely unresponsive.

I fell in love with Bitwig this last few weeks and now I simply can't use it. :(

Oh and my PC is no slouch. i7 4790 at 4Ghz (4.6 actually) with 16 GB of fast memory.

I have a project file Bitwig can have.

Return to “Bitwig”