How to get rid of the machine gun effect with shreddage 2?

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using shreddage 2 and have run into the problem that some of the passages with fast repeated notes are having a sort of machine gun effect.

Below is a link to the thing I'm talking about. The first repetition is through the amp sim like normal with velocity work done to try to lesson the effect, the second is the same thing but without the amp sim, the third is completely dry and with mostly flattened velocities so you can hear the difference.

https://soundcloud.com/john-agnew/test1

I didn't really notice a machine gunning going on in the last clip. Shreddage 2 has a round robin (probably random?) on each velocity layer. It's something like 8 different samples per layer. That prevents it from machine gunning. On your last clip, I can personally hear different pick strengths, different brightnesses (for lack of a better term), probably both coming from alternating stroke directions.

Right, to me it sounds like you ARE getting different samples. It's just challenging to make this kind of playing sound realistic using virtual instruments, even with lots of variation in the sounds. In context (with FX) it works a lot better. One thing I'd like to do in either a future S2 update or maybe S3 is to get recordings of strokes played while the string is already vibrating. It's hard to pull off and would make the library bigger, more CPU-intensive, etc, but might make a different for this kind of sequencing.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Right, as Zircon has pointed out, when amplified, the differences in each note will be magnified significantly. Something to note, your amp tone is not very clear. It's pretty muddy (sounds like it's mostly mids) overall and this contributes to the problem of each note not standing out. Building a good guitar tone hugely affects the realism of all the Shreddage products.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”