Any news on 1.2 beta?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What no crescendo tool or reskin feature!!?!?!?! Ha just kidding looks awesome can't wait.

the support for high dpi display (retina) has been confirmed in 1.2?_?

spinlud wrote:the support for high dpi display (retina) has been confirmed in 1.2?_?
yes

Wow. Just. Wow.
iMacPro 1,1 | 64gb | OSX 10.15.7
http://www.gesslr.com
http://www.storyaudio.com

Ogopogo wrote:I guess it would be good to remember this next time people are saying "what could they possibly be doing, just release with bugs, it's already there if they are demoing it, obviously they are trying to build hype, etc etc." Turns out they were making a big change and maybe it would have been in a barely working state if they released it earlier.
Well, that is totally idiotic to think anyway.
Building hype by not releasing is a myth.
Nobody is sitting there twiddling his/her thumbs or coming up with false excuses just for the heck of it. That is so not-Bitwig in my personal experience. Right the opposite in fact. Right after 1.1 was out and everybody was quite exhausted, the devs got sparkly eyes already when talking about what could go into 1.2.
The delays are not from holding back, but from adding even more than originally planned.

Demoing something is easy if the one doing it knows what works and what doesn't. But for release, stuff needs to work in all possible combinations and needs to be backward-compatible with older projects etc.

Rewriting the audio engine is not a trivial task and I'm prepared for some grieve at first, but it had to be done and the sooner the better IMO.
The internal testing is quite important to find the most vicious bugs, the ones that destroy projects and stuff like that (been there, done that ;-) ).
People who say stuff like what you mention are usually the first to shout when something goes wrong with their project...
Ignorance isn't always bliss :-)

Cheers,

Tom

(and I'm aware that you are aware of all this)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

wait... ed sheeran works for SOS now?

ThomasHelzle wrote:Rewriting the audio engine is not a trivial task and I'm prepared for some grieve at first, but it had to be done and the sooner the better IMO
Do you know whether one day it could be possible to use multiple audio interfaces simultaneously with BwS? Just thinking that it might be a restriction of Portaudio - or is it impossible at all?

u-u-u wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:Rewriting the audio engine is not a trivial task and I'm prepared for some grieve at first, but it had to be done and the sooner the better IMO
Do you know whether one day it could be possible to use multiple audio interfaces simultaneously with BwS? Just thinking that it might be a restriction of Portaudio - or is it impossible at all?
Is that possible in any DAW? I know some external tools that can do it (Asio4All on PC for instance) but I've never seen it implemented in a DAW I used.
Normally you get the best performance if you run on one ASIO or CoreAudio interface. With multiple interfaces I would imagine you open a can of worms keeping them in sync etc. But that would be a question for the devs, I can't help there.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

ThomasHelzle wrote:
u-u-u wrote:
Is that possible in any DAW? I know some external tools that can do it (Asio4All on PC for instance) but I've never seen it implemented in a DAW I used.
Normally you get the best performance if you run on one ASIO or CoreAudio interface. With multiple interfaces I would imagine you open a can of worms keeping them in sync etc. But that would be a question for the devs, I can't help there.

Cheers,

Tom
In normal use the sample clock used within a DAW (and indeed just about any media software) is sourced from a single sound card / interface. When using multiple cards together this becomes a big issue unless there is a way of physically syncing them - sometimes possible within devices of the same manufacturer (ie RME or Protools hardware) but its otherwise almost impossible. If cards can't be physically synced, even though they maybe set to the same sample rate, the clocks will always run at different speeds and go out of sync.

ASIO4ALL uses some kind of fudge to get this working, but I've never heard of anyone getting good results doing this with non-similar hardware.

If you want lots of ins and outs get a single device (or stick to one manufacturer who provides a true sync capability). Otherwise you're asking for trouble.
Last edited by slackhead on Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThomasHelzle wrote:
Ogopogo wrote:I guess it would be good to remember this next time people are saying "what could they possibly be doing, just release with bugs, it's already there if they are demoing it, obviously they are trying to build hype, etc etc." Turns out they were making a big change and maybe it would have been in a barely working state if they released it earlier.
Well, that is totally idiotic to think anyway.
Building hype by not releasing is a myth.
Nobody is sitting there twiddling his/her thumbs or coming up with false excuses just for the heck of it. That is so not-Bitwig in my personal experience. Right the opposite in fact. Right after 1.1 was out and everybody was quite exhausted, the devs got sparkly eyes already when talking about what could go into 1.2.
The delays are not from holding back, but from adding even more than originally planned.

Demoing something is easy if the one doing it knows what works and what doesn't. But for release, stuff needs to work in all possible combinations and needs to be backward-compatible with older projects etc.

Rewriting the audio engine is not a trivial task and I'm prepared for some grieve at first, but it had to be done and the sooner the better IMO.
The internal testing is quite important to find the most vicious bugs, the ones that destroy projects and stuff like that (been there, done that ;-) ).
People who say stuff like what you mention are usually the first to shout when something goes wrong with their project...
Ignorance isn't always bliss :-)

Cheers,

Tom

(and I'm aware that you are aware of all this)

Thanks for taking the time to write this Tom.

slackhead wrote:In normal use the sample clock used within a DAW (and indeed just about any media software) is sourced from a single sound card / interface. When using multiple cards together this becomes a big issue unless there is a way of physically syncing them - sometimes possible within devices of the same manufacturer (ie RME or Protools hardware) but its otherwise almost impossible. If cards can't be physically synced, even though they maybe set to the same sample rate, the clocks will always run at different speeds and go out of sync.

ASIO uses some kind of fudge to get this working, but I've never heard of anyone getting good results doing this with non-similar hardware.

If you want lots of ins and outs get a single device (or stick to one manufacturer who provides a true sync capability). Otherwise you're asking for trouble.
Thanks for the added info slackhead. Great stuff
(and I use a Scarlett 18i20 for that reason ;-) ).

I could imagine that future standards and faster hardware will make it easier at one point, but I don't think we're there yet.

I'm already astonished and happy that I'm able to run both Bitwig Studio and Usine at the same time using the same ASIO driver in both (latest Focusrite Beta). ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Oops - wrong place

hmmmmmmmmmmm..... seems like bitwig 1.2 is going to be more like a 1.3 lol lots of new stuff going down
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

ThomasHelzle wrote:
slackhead wrote:In normal use the sample clock used within a DAW (and indeed just about any media software) is sourced from a single sound card / interface. When using multiple cards together this becomes a big issue unless there is a way of physically syncing them - sometimes possible within devices of the same manufacturer (ie RME or Protools hardware) but its otherwise almost impossible. If cards can't be physically synced, even though they maybe set to the same sample rate, the clocks will always run at different speeds and go out of sync.

ASIO uses some kind of fudge to get this working, but I've never heard of anyone getting good results doing this with non-similar hardware.

Thanks for the added info slackhead. Great stuff
(and I use a Scarlett 18i20 for that reason ;-) ).

I could imagine that future standards and faster hardware will make it easier at one point, but I don't think we're there yet.

I'm already astonished and happy that I'm able to run both Bitwig Studio and Usine at the same time using the same ASIO driver in both (latest Focusrite Beta). ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
If you're on a Mac, OS X has a great feature that does exactly this. If you open Audio/MIDI setup, you can create an "Aggregate audio device" which basically lets you combine any number of inputs and outputs from any number of connected audio devices into one new device. You choose the sample rate, which device has the master clock, and name it. This appears to the system as a new single device that will be visible in any DAW or audio software.

I've definitely used it before in a pinch when I needed more inputs than I had available at the time, and it's worked pretty flawlessly. I also use an 18i20, but mainly with a PC (only because a powerful desktop is cheaper), but I certainly miss OS X's solid audio and MIDI support.

Can't Sonar use multiple audio devices?
:hug:

Return to “Bitwig”