Any news on 1.2 beta?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

shadiradio wrote:If you're on a Mac, OS X has a great feature that does exactly this. If you open Audio/MIDI setup, you can create an "Aggregate audio device" which basically lets you combine any number of inputs and outputs from any number of connected audio devices into one new device.
Does that have a performance penalty?
I guess it depends on what kind of devices you combine.
Probably the worst latency wins and maybe a bit more is added?
I know that ASIO4ALL can combine devices as well, but never tried it.

Anyway, this is probably a question for the devs, although it may be a bit early for it. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:
shadiradio wrote:If you're on a Mac, OS X has a great feature that does exactly this. If you open Audio/MIDI setup, you can create an "Aggregate audio device" which basically lets you combine any number of inputs and outputs from any number of connected audio devices into one new device.
Does that have a performance penalty?
I guess it depends on what kind of devices you combine.
Probably the worst latency wins and maybe a bit more is added?
I know that ASIO4ALL can combine devices as well, but never tried it.

Anyway, this is probably a question for the devs, although it may be a bit early for it. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
Not sure, but it can't be free. :)

The lasts time I used it was a while ago, and I remember needing to record a bunch of podcast guests with individual mics and my Macbook pro. An aggregate audio device combining the internal audio and a Saffire 6 saved the day. Of course, the guests didn't need to monitor audio and latency was not the primary concern, but everything worked.

If the aggregate device has a performance penalty, it's never been enough for me to notice. I use that feature constantly to get my mic and guitar connected at the same time.
I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time.

Is that audio-port correlated to the in-dialog? If i connect a usb-micro during BW is running, the audio-preferences dosnt update the new device. I must restart BW to see it. Quit nasty - would be fine, if this become history with this update.

And another really useful feature would be a fast-switch-button between two latency-settings. The normal (most time) playback i run (and need) it with the biggest latency, only when record i use the fastet latancy.
Allways cmd+commata and hangle to audio-tab, find the latancy, switch it there... One toggle-button for this (beside the transport) - would save a lot of clicks.

In order to use a second audio card unsynced you need to resample its data to the clock of the first. This involves at least one additional buffer which adds latency.

Don't know which to quote now. Thanks for the clarification about soundcards.
I first thought that BwS could be'the 'first DAW which supports multi-soundcard audio in and out' or something like that. But seems that the restriction to one SC has its technical reasons. (although I still would find it awesome)
So if one wants an expandable solution s/he should go with something expandable (like the scarletts or the UAD apollos (which unfortuantely need thunderbold)).
ASIO4all might work but know why I don't like the idea to have this extra bridge between my DAW and the soundcard.

Yeah, for the time being I would rather go for a good interface with enough connections. There are many good ones with lot's of ins and outs, from cheap to expensive, RME, MOTU, Focusrite, Presonus etc.. I looked around for a long time when my previous interface broke and in the end got lucky with a good offer for the 18i20 which has plenty connections to go around for my surround work. All the others were either more expensive or had certain things I didn't like.
I'm sure an RME is better, but they start at twice the money I paid.
So far I have only one complaint: the Headphone-outs are quite weak and my AKG 701 has high impedance, so it's always at max level and still rather low in volume.
The software mixer is handy, the latest drivers give me good latency. I'm pretty happy with it for what I do.
I also love the look - I put my big monitor on top of it's sturdy 19" case and have it right in front of me all day :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

ThomasHelzle wrote:Yeah, for the time being I would rather go for a good interface with enough connections. There are many good ones with lot's of ins and outs, from cheap to expensive, RME, MOTU, Focusrite, Presonus etc.. I looked around for a long time when my previous interface broke and in the end got lucky with a good offer for the 18i20 which has plenty connections to go around for my surround work. All the others were either more expensive or had certain things I didn't like.
I'm sure an RME is better, but they start at twice the money I paid.
So far I have only one complaint: the Headphone-outs are quite weak and my AKG 701 has high impedance, so it's always at max level and still rather low in volume.
The software mixer is handy, the latest drivers give me good latency. I'm pretty happy with it for what I do.
I also love the look - I put my big monitor on top of it's sturdy 19" case and have it right in front of me all day :-)

Cheers,

Tom
Nice tip! Thanks Tom :)

ThomasHelzle wrote: The internal testing is quite important to find the most vicious bugs, the ones that destroy projects and stuff like that (been there, done that ;-) ).
Should I be backing up my projects? I haven't experienced losing a project yet. :scared:

Are we able to have the beta and the stable version installed separately on the same machine? In case we have problems with old projects.

Of course you should backup your work. Always. Often. Independent of software used.
Harddrives die, Powerfailures happen, Coffee finds a way into machines, Cats chew cables, Kids invent new uses for screwdrivers...

- If you try out beta software, you should NEVER use any important project with it, instead, always make a (complete) copy of the project first and work with that copy only. If anything should go wrong, you have the original (and the backup(s), right ;-) ).

- I don't know for sure, but it's possible that 1.2 will not be backwards compatible, in that case, if you would save your original project with 1.2, you would not be able to open it with 1.1.7 anymore. So if anything wouldn't work in 1.2 as you want/need/expect during the beta, you would not be able to fall back on the old stable version.

- Never use a beta for critical work.

- Don't install a new beta 20 minutes before a gig and think it would be a good idea to use it live. ;-)

All this has nothing specifically to do with Bitwig Studio. It is what beta testing is all about - finding unexpected problems. If they weren't unexpected, no betaphase would be needed...

Anybody who's not okay with that should wait for the stable release.

Better safe than sorry.

Cheers,

Tom

slackhead wrote:Are we able to have the beta and the stable version installed separately on the same machine? In case we have problems with old projects.
On Windows it's that way by default. Not sure about OSX and Linux.

Cheers,

Tom

Okay thanks, Tom. I will setup "time machine" on my mac.

ThomasHelzle wrote:
slackhead wrote:Are we able to have the beta and the stable version installed separately on the same machine? In case we have problems with old projects.

Cheers,

Tom
I have 1.6 and 1.7 on my mac with no issues. Listen to all what Tom says its absolutely vital when using beta or in fact any new version of software.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

ThomasHelzle wrote:

Cheers,

Tom
That's good (and sensible). Roll on 1.2

Thanks Tom

Return to “Bitwig”