Is Bitwig a slow and sluggish DAW?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The UI is written in Java, if it is UI problems you have then there has to be a way to add the standard Java performance arguments to the Bitwig Java executable.
These commands:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19900-01/819 ... index.html

I'm going to try and see if I can add it somehow.

In windows an Executable can take arguments via the Properties dialog of the .exe file (or a shortcut),
but I'm not sure if that .exe will carry over the arguments to the Java executable.
Linux and OSX will probably have to be via a script or just a launch via the terminal.
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about fidelity. I just make music.

Greetings,

Bitwig 1.1.7 is fast and light here. My main machine is built around a 6-core AMD CPU, with 16G memory. OS is Linux, Fedora 19 with Planet CCRMA additions. No observable slowdowns yet.

Best,

dp

I only got sluggish reactions when ive got a s**tload of samples and clips...
But when i render some out and consolidate midi clips/tracks and cut them in new portions again (what tidy up the project :-) )
The slugginess goes away.
Ive got the feeling that in the beginning it was worse then now?? :shrug:

But overall it behaves like it should. :pray:

phantom-one wrote:As I mentioned earlier, there is an issue with the TurboBoost on Linux. I had a poor Bitwig performance until I've switched CPU governor to the "performance" one.

Code: Select all

sudo cpupower frequency-set -g performance
I suspect that you getting a similar issue on Windows. Though I don't know how to solve it on Windows.
After installing the appropriate packages and kernel modules, your command does indeed speed up loading time to around 9sec and hopefully performance in general, this is actually easier than having to set each core (4) with the cpu-freq command. thanks ;) For anyone else interested the 1st package needed is " cpufrequtils " then on 1st run from the terminal it will suggest other packages, install all of these too ;)

30 ~ sec to start bitwig
new i7 win8.1

CPU performance will only get better with time. One day we will hopefully have track freeze too.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

DroneSpirit wrote:30 ~ sec to start bitwig
new i7 win8.1
Approximately 10 secs here.
AMD FX6300, 16G memory, old nVidia GPU, Fedora 19 Linux with Planet CCRMA extensions.

Best,

dp

StudioDave wrote:
DroneSpirit wrote:30 ~ sec to start bitwig
new i7 win8.1
Approximately 10 secs here.
AMD FX6300, 16G memory, old nVidia GPU, Fedora 19 Linux with Planet CCRMA extensions.

Best,

dp
This is not a matter of memory or CPU but of a fast harddisc. Grab a fast SSD and you will be a happy camper!
9 secs here on my 4 year old Laptop but updated to a new SSD.

moss wrote:
This is not a matter of memory or CPU but of a fast harddisc. Grab a fast SSD and you will be a happy camper!
Just optimising the OS helps too, removing all the bloatware, disabling devices and processors you don't use etc. My laptop started out with a 45 seconds Bitwig load time, but now I get around 11 secs using a slow 5400 rpm drive.

10 seconds to start up with SSd. W7, I7 something :(

But damnit, took me 2 hours to make good DnB snare drum that slaps in your face. :D
(hope they will find something to that. Or is that a JAVA problem? :o )
Nha love bitwig! :hug:

codec17 wrote:10 seconds to start up with SSd. W7, I7 something :(

But damnit, took me 2 hours to make good DnB snare drum that slaps in your face. :D
Bitwig takes 10 sekunds for me to start up.
I have a laptop with harddrive 5400 rpm speed and i7 4700 mq :) but what is slow is when i have 50 tracks and midi information alot off.. Even if dsp is good. Hate working with big tracks. I dont like to bounce either :)
Last edited by takaii on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

goatgirl wrote:
moss wrote:
Just optimising the OS helps too, removing all the bloatware, disabling devices and processors you don't use etc. My laptop started out with a 45 seconds Bitwig load time, but now I get around 11 secs using a slow 5400 rpm drive.
Antivirus can slow down as well, normally those check every program start for threats.

Memoery helps as well, because programs are buffered in memory having been started before (at least on Windows).

off course a ssd is better, but BW keeps starting long comparing to live.
(live 9.0 needed also longer start-time than live 9.17, so maybe BW will optimize that too in sooner updates).
well, it isnt sooo important, but the fun or stress with an app, begins exactly here.

ronnyrydgren wrote:

I have a laptop with harddrive 5400 rpm speed and i7 4700 mq :) but what is slow is when i have 50 tracks and midi information alot off.. Even if dsp is good. Hate working with big tracks. I dont like to bounce either :)
bouncing certainly helps to proceed. Finish a track, bounce it, and deactivate the midi, you can go back whenever you want then.

Suloo wrote:
ronnyrydgren wrote:

bouncing certainly helps to proceed. Finish a track, bounce it, and deactivate the midi, you can go back whenever you want then.
Its not the vsti or fx vst that makes it slow. Its all midi clips and informations. Somehow bitwig goes really slow when having alot of midi in it. I love to work with midi. I dont like bounce cause it takes a while to bounce out everything on a big project. I dont like to work that way. Just my workflow prefer working in midi...
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

Return to “Bitwig”