One Synth Challenge #74: DEXED (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

z.prime wrote:
bluerobot wrote:... my track didn't get picked up by the moderator on Soundcloud, and I'm thinking it might be because I didn't give enough detail around Fx used ...
No worries, moderator is sometimes just busy. And yes, do list the specific types of FX used. Cheers and welcome to the OSC. :)
Thanks, z.prime.

I also might not have shared it properly with the Soundcloud group last time. I'm pretty sure it went this time, though.

Anyway... it's all in good fun.

Cheers!
Last edited by bluerobot on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey! Been away for 5 days (grandson's first birthday treat - we all had a good time!).

Came back to my funky track and decided it sounded a bit "thin". As per a suggestion by "mehum" I have added another bass layer, but tried to make sure I didn't lose the nice attack of a slap bass (quite difficult to get a decent deep bass to sit with the slap!). Done a little bit more Eq-ing (coz of the extra bass now).

Don't really have much time left now to tinker around edges much more. I think this is a better version (I have 10 different ones lying around).

Hope you all enjoy being transported back to the 70's/80's funky times.

dB

Hi, this is my tribute this month:

Ricler - Champagne

Host: energyXT 3.0.

7 Instances of Dexed.

17 Effects: Aradaz Maximer (1), Upstereo (1), MLimter (1), MEqualiizer (5), mdaDelay (1), 3D-Binaural-Spatializer (2), TAL-Reverb-2 (5), PanCake2 (1).

Tempo: 112,
Key: F major.

http://soundcloud.com/ricler/ricler-champagne
Ricler

soundcloud.com/richard-clermont

I started a track and had much fun creating dark dirty sounds, but sadly I wasn't able to finish it... this month I have to pass!

But the idea of using just one synth, really grabbed my attention. I will continue doing this with other plugins I own, for my own projects, and then probably I can use some ideas, parts, sounds, etc. in projects for my customers :D
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Here's my first entry in the OSC! I discovered this forum a week ago and this concept with only using one synth for everything is something I've tried with Sytrus and Zebra2 before. This seems to be a great place to share this kind of stuff. I look forward to upcoming challenges!

Track specs:

22 Instances of DEXED

DAW: FL Studio

External FX: Maximus, Fruity Delay 2(x3), Fruity Reverb(x4), Fruity Stereo enhancer(x2), Fruity Peak controller.

https://soundcloud.com/meakaale/meakaale-dexdrosol

Hi boys and girls,

Well I made it.

This month was tough because of limited power. I live on solar power and my batteries are nearing the end of their life. I get about One hour of electricity after dark. I have learned to stretch that a little if I keep my cpu load below 20%. Fortunately Dexed is really efficient.

I found Dexed to be a great tool and because of its fantastic GUI I learned a lot about FM. I think part of the loss of interest in the DX7 back in the 80s was due to all the parameters being lost in menu pages. It cant do everything but it rides shotgun really well.

Enjoy, as I have immensely enjoyed all the great music these competitions have spawned.

https://soundcloud.com/robert-lee-50/rcl-x-class

Recorded and mixed with Reaper 4.77

15 instances of Dexed
ReaEq and Reacomp on channels
Voxengo Old school and Ambience by Mangus @ Smart Electronix for reverb
Variety of sound's BootEQmkII on bass track
One instance of NI Replika delay

"Mastered...LOL" using

Variety of Sound Ferric TDS
Tokyo Dawn Records Slick EQ
Reacomp
W1 Limiter by George Yohng
Voxengo Span

Cheershttp://www.kvraudio.com/forum/posting.php?mode ... 1&t=435624#

Finally got my track done. Well I don't know if it's done but abandoned.
https://soundcloud.com/jasinski/jasinsk ... c-74-dexed

Details:
45+ instances of Dexed
Ableton Live
EQ8, Saturation, Amp, Autofilter, Reverb, Simple Delay, PingPong Delay, Compressor, Multiband Compressor, Limiter
Camel Audio Camel Crusher
Last edited by jasinski on Fri May 01, 2015 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

I thought I wouldn't make it, but then I decided: "Aaaaah what the heck, it doesn't have to be perfect, don't overdo it, don't think too much, keep it easy and just have fun! And upload that tune already!!!"

So here we go with my entrance: Glorious Swan Massacre :hihi:

All sounds were designed from scratch by me, except the brassy lead sound, that was one of the stock sounds (MR.80S). I just adapted it a little bit to my needs.

I used 22 instances of the synth plugin Dexed. As effects 3 Logic Space Designer and 1 Logic Delay Designer. As EQ and compressor, here and there on some channels, the Logic Channel EQ and Logic Compressor. The master buss included the Logic Compressor, Linear EQ and Adaptive Limiter. As metering plugin I used the free Voxengo SPAN.

https://soundcloud.com/stardustmedia/de ... wnloadable
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

jasinski wrote:Finally got my track done. Well I don't know if it's done but abandoned.
I hate you. :P

Seriously, I don't even know where to start.

First of all, I refuse to believe that came out of an FM synth. There is just no freakin way.

Secondly, this is the kind of stuff I hear in my head that I'll have to be reincarnated 100 times over to be able to create. I simply don't have the skills...period.

In relation to this track, mine is a 2 and that's being generous. Now I understand my low ratings. I can't shine your shoes let alone create anything this good.

Finally, I'm going to take a stab in the dark here on this one.

You're a professional musician. You do this for a living. You may even have had some cuts that made some dents in the charts. If not, you have seriously missed your calling. This is just as good as anything I've heard on the radio in this genre...maybe better.

Ding, ding, ding, we can all take our marbles and go home. We have our winner. I'm almost tempted to withdraw my entry out of embarrassment.

There is nothing left to say.

You sir...are a genius.

wagtunes wrote:... You're a professional musician. You do this for a living. You may even have had some cuts that made some dents in the charts. If not, you have seriously missed your calling. This is just as good as anything I've heard on the radio in this genre...maybe better.
Don't feel bad, he puts everyone to shame. :)

z.prime wrote:
wagtunes wrote:... You're a professional musician. You do this for a living. You may even have had some cuts that made some dents in the charts. If not, you have seriously missed your calling. This is just as good as anything I've heard on the radio in this genre...maybe better.
Don't feel bad, he puts everyone to shame. :)
Maybe, but I'm curious to see how many 1s he gets on the voting.

I won't believe it if it's more than just the one he has to give to himself.

Boy am I gonna have to up my game next month.

Oh Wag!!
Number one, I'm not a pro. It's a lifelong hobby. I actually would like to go pro but it's a lot of work and I just don't know if I have what it takes. I hear a lot of things I want to fix in my music. Anyway- I don't want to discourage or shut other people down! I mean, that's how I feel a lot of times about my work in comparison to others- I don't want to inspire that same feeling in others so I'll withdraw my track if it has that result.

Two. Yup- it's all Dexed. I'll share my Ableton Live project with anyone who wants it just PM me.

Three. I feel like we're all on this path of improvement together. If there is anything I can do to help out others, share ideas give suggestions please contact me. I don't really like to give out unsolicited critiques but I'll do what I can if asked. I feel like that is a great way for me to learn as well.
wagtunes wrote:
jasinski wrote:Finally got my track done. Well I don't know if it's done but abandoned.

First of all, I refuse to believe that came out of an FM synth. There is just no freakin way.

Secondly, this is the kind of stuff I hear in my head that I'll have to be reincarnated 100 times over to be able to create. I simply don't have the skills...period.

In relation to this track, mine is a 2 and that's being generous. Now I understand my low ratings. I can't shine your shoes let alone create anything this good.

You're a professional musician. You do this for a living. You may even have had some cuts that made some dents in the charts. If not, you have seriously missed your calling. This is just as good as anything I've heard on the radio in this genre...maybe better.

Ding, ding, ding, we can all take our marbles and go home. We have our winner. I'm almost tempted to withdraw my entry out of embarrassment.

You sir...are a genius.

jasinski wrote:Oh Wag!!
Number one, I'm not a pro. It's a lifelong hobby. I actually would like to go pro but it's a lot of work and I just don't know if I have what it takes. I hear a lot of things I want to fix in my music. Anyway- I don't want to discourage or shut other people down! I mean, that's how I feel a lot of times about my work in comparison to others- I don't want to inspire that same feeling in others so I'll withdraw my track if it has that result.

Two. Yup- it's all Dexed. I'll share my Ableton Live project with anyone who wants it just PM me.

Three. I feel like we're all on this path of improvement together. If there is anything I can do to help out others, share ideas give suggestions please contact me. I don't really like to give out unsolicited critiques but I'll do what I can if asked. I feel like that is a great way for me to learn as well.
wagtunes wrote:

You sir...are a genius.
Absolutely do NOT withdraw your track. You are an inspiration to all of us, especially to me.

Been doing this for 36 years but obviously either don't have the talent or haven't learned the things I need to learn.

But I'll get there. I'm now more determined than ever.

jasinski wrote:Two. Yup- it's all Dexed. I'll share my Ableton Live project with anyone who wants it just PM me.
I actually would like to see it, so I can learn from it ;)

Here's the hopefully final version of my entry. I just fixed a few fills, refined the mix a bit, and waited an hour for it to render to WAV because I'm still waiting for my mac to be fixed.

mmoncur - Hexed

https://soundcloud.com/starling-studios ... exed-osc74

Made in Ableton Live 9.2b4
34 instances of DEXED
(Mostly presets found online; Thanks to Mehum for kick and hihat sounds)
Ableton built-in effects only: EQ8 x 27, Saturator x 13, Reverb x 12, Compressor x 11, Simple Delay x 5, Ping-pong Delay x 1
Mastering chain FX, all built-in: Multiband Dynamics x 3, Limiter x 4, EQ8 x 1, Compressor x 2

Return to “Instruments”