Airwave - yet another WINE VST bridge for Linux (April 12 update)

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What advantage would you have using this over the way it worked before?

If you're using the "bit-bridge" mode, then the "processing chain" for 32-bit plugins looks like this:

Code: Select all

[ Bitwig Studio engine ] <---> [ Bitwig's 64- to 32-bit bridge ] <---> [ Airwave bridge ] <---> [ VST plugin DLL ]
Starting from version 1.1.0, the Bitwig's bridge is absent because its function is performed by the Airwave. The "processing chain" starts to looks like this:

[ Bitwig Studio engine ] <---> [ Airwave bridge ] <---> [ VST plugin DLL ]
Technically, it removes an unnecessary delay, but in practice you shouldn't notice any significant difference. People asked to implement it, and it's a reasonable step.

PS: Some VST hosts (the Ardour for example) doesn't have built-in 64- to 32-bit bridge as the Bitwig has. This feature brings the ability to use 32-bit plugins for such (64-bit) hosts.

PPS: Do not forget to update your links after performing the Airwave update.

I see, didn't think that other Hosts don't have bridges. So this is probably a good step forward.

New patch version update (1.1.1):

FIXED Regression: plugin's parameters are not exported to the host correctly

I noticed that I can't index the "LePou" plugins anymore. They won't show up and Bitwig keeps indexing forever. This is on 1.1.0 (the AUR has not been updated yet thats why)

EDIT:

Solved it apparently there was a problem with the name of .dll. Bitwig won't be able to index filenames like this "Win VST x64\Le456.dll". Not sure though if the problem lies on Bitwig's side or Airwave's

nonameyet, it's better to avoid filenames containing backslashes. The LePou Le456.dll works fine for me.
Regarding updating AUR packages: yaourt doesn't update devel (-git/-svn/-bzr) packages automatically. You should do it manually or use the "--devel" command line option (if I understand correctly what it means).

Oh ok. Yeah it works if I upgrade the development version. I thought there was one in the main repository.

nonameyet, you can download the latest package from the GitHub and install it through

sudo pacman -U <package_file>
or you can build the development version from the AUR. The former should be stable (to some extent). The latter may contain some improvements, but it could be broken at the same time. Just decide what is more preferably for you.

Which package are we talking about the .deb or the .rpm?

I did not build the rpm package. I'm talking about this one for the Arch Linux: https://github.com/phantom-code/airwave ... pkg.tar.xz

Alright. Interesting... so many possibilities :) But I think I'll stick to the AUR as long as you maintain it.

I have another question. Have you noticed that scrolling with the scroll wheel does not work?

Yes, this is a known issue. The scroll wheel works but not everywhere. You can adjust faders/knobs with the scroll wheel in many plugins.

Greetings,

I finally got my airwave'd Alchemy Player to load in Bitwig, but no GUI appears. :( That's a bummer, because it displays fine in Festige. Any ideas why it's gone dark ?

EDIT: Never mind, I got it, had to repair an incomplete directory tree. Works nicely now. :)

dp

Airwave 1.2.1 released

Changelog:

[+] Bridge the initial plugin delay (now PDC should work correctly)
[+] Support for the VST shell plugins
[+] Handle some deprecated VST events (Tracktion uses them)
[*] Workaround for the Waves plugins (no GUI issue)

Return to “Bitwig”