PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

The sound is excellent, better than with most commercial synths of that kind :) Especially with chorus on. Instant 80's synth pop gratification :)

Some controls behave in a weird way, though...

Correct - there's no latest version with the new GUI for AU format.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Gee, Dropbox is so pushy, with every click they try to make me sign up for an account. Probably an NSA site to spread their spyware... 8)
when you get the d/l window, simply click "no thanks, continue to download" and away you go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

fluffy_little_something wrote:Gee, Dropbox is so pushy, with every click they try to make me sign up for an account. Probably an NSA site to spread their spyware... 8)
I'll grant you that Dropbox is probably "granting" the NSA access to your files (like they'd have a choice in the matter), but I still prefer them over Mediafire and all the virus- and adware-infected buttons and links on that damn site. You really have to be careful what you click on with them. At least with Dropbox, if you click the wrong link, all you end up with is...Dropbox and its 5 GB of free storage, and not some spyware or adware or Trojan taking over your computer.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

fluffy_little_something wrote:The sound is excellent, better than with most commercial synths of that kind :) Especially with chorus on. Instant 80's synth pop gratification :)

Hi, could you, please specify which controls and what behaviour you mean? Is it something that needs fixing?

Cheers,
Martin

planetearth wrote:
Examigan wrote:I use the latest version of PG8X in Sonar X3 Producer and it works fine. 32-bit PC with Windows 7. One thing I did was put the DLL into its own folder, then add some presets I downloaded in that same folder. Then put that same folder with all those in it into the Cakewalk VST folder.
Thanks, Examigan, I did the same thing, though I'm using the 64-bit version. I've been working with Sonar's plug-in mangler for years (and even helping other Sonar users with plug-ins and the mangler), and this is the first time I've seen this with a "healthy" .DLL.
martin_l wrote:One source of the problem could be permissions of the folder.
The plugin is trying to write the "pg8x.ini" file, when starting up the first time. I have not yet tried what happens when it fails to write that.

Please, try to make sure that you have write permissions.

Cheers,
Martin
Thanks, Martin. I'll check again, but these are all the same default permissions for a folder for every other VST I've manually put into a folder I created (which means it's basically wide-open). Maybe I'll also try the 32-bit .DLL.

Steve
I tried both the 32- and 64-bit versions again today. Sonar's plug-in mangler saw the 32-bit version only, but at least it installed it and would open it.

Now I just have to figure out the presets again to determine which file(s) to download from Dropbox.

Any idea why the 64-bit version isn't seen by Sonar's plug-in mangler? Has anyone else with Sonar had this problem?

Steve

EDIT: Well, the 32-bit version loaded into Sonar, but would not load the "default.PG8Xbank" file from Dropbox. (There was no error; the sounds just don't appear in the synth. And since there's no documentation about the SYSEX files on Dropbox, I didn't try them.) I can, however, load individual .FXP files from the Teksonik pack, and the entire DrewDale bank and SYSEX file. Many of these patches go well over 0 DB, but since they're third-party patches, I'll wait to see if I can actually load the "default" ones to determine if the synth is too hot, or if the patches were to blame.
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

martin_l wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:The sound is excellent, better than with most commercial synths of that kind :) Especially with chorus on. Instant 80's synth pop gratification :)

Hi, could you, please specify which controls and what behaviour you mean? Is it something that needs fixing?

Cheers,
Martin
I already removed the plugin last night, but if I remember correctly I was moving the knobs and the sound would not update according to the knob position. That is the only reason I removed it, because the sound as such is beautiful :)

W7 64-bit, 32-bit DAW, AMD (just saying because judging from the latest version of Charlatan it seems some AMD processors don't support all SSE versions, which can cause problems).

fluffy_little_something wrote:
martin_l wrote:

Cheers,
Martin
I already removed the plugin last night, but if I remember correctly I was moving the knobs and the sound would not update according to the knob position. That is the only reason I removed it, because the sound as such is beautiful :)

W7 64-bit, 32-bit DAW, AMD (just saying because judging from the latest version of Charlatan it seems some AMD processors don't support all SSE versions, which can cause problems).
It could be the SSE2 issue. I have to double-check, as in the audio engine, originally (in the old SE version) I restricted myself to SSE (not SSE2) instructions. Possibly SSE2 only slip in due to compiler optimizations in the GUI part. When I am back at home, I can try how my old AMD computer reacts on the new PG8X version.

Cheers,
Martin

I don't think SSE 2 is the problem, my processor supports up to SSE3 plus SSE 4a.

phdsg vn chfhn wrote:chorus-depth/speed hover displays (in the lcd) are switched around.
:tu: Well spotted, this certainly needs fixing
:tu: All is good

DrewDale wrote:
phdsg vn chfhn wrote:chorus-depth/speed hover displays (in the lcd) are switched around.
:tu: Well spotted, this certainly needs fixing
Is already fixed, only that I currently can't compile for Windows.

martin_l wrote:Is already fixed, only that I currently can't compile for Windows.
So what I'm hearing then is that you are in an *ideal* position for sorting out the AU format issues...? :D

Only joking! :lol: :tu:

martin_l wrote: Is already fixed, only that I currently can't compile for Windows.
Fixed for the next build ? and will it be fixed eventually for Windows users :?:
:tu: All is good

As much as I love PG8X, I've been experiencing frequent crashes :(

Anybody else experiencing that?

Sound Author wrote:As much as I love PG8X, I've been experiencing frequent crashes :(

Anybody else experiencing that?
Can you, please, send me more details, such as:

which System, processor, OS, DAW, etc. are you using?
Where do the crashes occur? At startup? At specific parameter changes? Randomly?

How are the crashes? Computer hangs? Daw hangs? Window with some error message?

The more information I get, the easier it will be for me to try to fix things.

Thanks,
Martin

Return to “Instruments”