One Synth Challenge #74: DEXED (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

mehum wrote:I have miraculously both voted and been able to write hateful comments on basically every track! :D

Great work everybody! It's really inspiring hearing what you all have managed to squeeze out of DEXED!
If anyone finds my comments out of line, just holler and I remove it (and I guess it's possible to remove comments on your own tracks as well) or just do what any rational person would do and give me a 1 when voting :tu:

I for one appreciate you taking the time to give a thorough opinion.

bluerobot wrote:Voted.

I am humbled by the great work presented in this competition.

Mostly 3s and 4s. A handful of 2s and 5s. And one 1 (me!).

I tried to strike a balance between respecting the skills of the artist and catering to my own personal taste. To get a 5, from me, it had to have it all.

This has been a great experience, and I hope to give it a go another time.
For me it was mostly same but I only give one 5, and this time it was you. The track just felt good to me. Thanks

Voted,

Thanks to all who commented on my entry. I responded to a few of them.

I am desperately trying to comment on all but have limited internet time.

I found all entries to be rather amazing as FM is not most folks cup o tea. I learned a great deal and found that Dexed has a place in my limited list of synths ( props to the developer ). The metallic bass sounds that can be had are simply amazing.

Good luck to all. It sure was fun for me.

Voted.

Tracks this month... amazeballs coated with awesome sauce... truly impressive work. Some classic FM sounds, some how-did-they-do-that-with-just-Dexed sounds, and as usual, a very humbling display of talent.

Voted.

Had a lot of fun listening to all the tracks. Thank you to all who put their time and effort into this competition. Looking forward to the next compo. :)

Did my votings too.

Some great tracks there, and some impressive collection of sounds. Was fun to listen thru them. I'm having fun to minimize the music production to just one synth. Quite addictive :D
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Voted.

Best thing while listening and commenting this time was reading mehum's spectacularly elaborate and competent comments on every track of the challenge.

Greetings/Ruedi

Voted.

Nice work guys! :tu:

Rcl wrote:
bluerobot wrote:Voted.

I am humbled by the great work presented in this competition.

Mostly 3s and 4s. A handful of 2s and 5s. And one 1 (me!).

I tried to strike a balance between respecting the skills of the artist and catering to my own personal taste. To get a 5, from me, it had to have it all.

This has been a great experience, and I hope to give it a go another time.
For me it was mostly same but I only give one 5, and this time it was you. The track just felt good to me. Thanks
Thanks, Rcl!

RuediRena wrote: Best thing while listening and commenting this time was reading mehum's spectacularly elaborate and competent comments on every track of the challenge.
+1 (and more) to that. I believe my funky track improved through the input of SlavaFiks and Mehum. It's always goods to have another ear listen critically - as we all know, we love our own tracks - maybe sometimes too much hehe!

A while back you Reudi, you left a damning comment on my track saying that whilst good, the dynamics were heavily compressed to hell and basically ruined the whole thing. I didn't chuck my dummy out of the cot, and took heed and have been working on getting my dynamics sorted- so thanks for this (a lot).

dB

Haha, I'm glad my little rants are enjoyed at least by some! They're basically my way to rationalize my scoring even if I also try to give some advice.

I would recommend everybody to analyze music in this way (although no need to do it publically) . It does not only makes you appreciate the tracks in question but it helps in developing one's own skills. One day I might be able to look at my own music in this way and will be able to make better decisions.

I just hope I'm not influential enough here to swing anyone's vote with these comments and that you read them after deciding score.

I think there needs to be some caution about providing advice based on just a single listen, particularly where a track might not fit in with someone's preconceived ideas about the music or its form. There is a danger of going into "it's got too many notes" territory particularly in a competition like this where there is a tension between the actual composition and whether the sound design is considered artful enough or not.

Saying "it hasn't got enough different chords" on a trance track is not really very helpful if the producer then takes that to heart rather than a comment saying: "it made me want to dance/not want to dance".

I believe the caution should be wether to follow said advice and I hope my advice come across as highly subjective. The only expertise I can really offer is what changes would probably be more enjoyable to me.

But I agree. One listen, especially if it's a genre one is not well versed in, is generally too little for fair advice or judgement...

mehum wrote:I believe the caution should be wether to follow said advice and I hope my advice come across as highly subjective.
I should have phrased it that way. I didn't mean don't leave comments.

However, I think people asking for comments from everyone should be careful what they wish for.

Voted :tu:

Still have to comment on many entries...

Good luck to all participants!

Return to “Instruments”