One Synth Challenge #75: PG-8X (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

My first One Synth Challenge.

It is movie and 70/80's inspired track.

https://soundcloud.com/psyerichybrid/endless-mind

DAW: Reaper

PG 8x: 27

Loudmax: 8
Bluearp: 4
Reaverb 3
Readelay: 4
ReaEq: 3
Reacomp: 4
PG 8x: 27
A1 Stereocontrol: 1

At the risk of sophmore slump, I present my 2nd OSC entry:

https://soundcloud.com/bluerobotmusic/b ... cassiopeia

9 instances of PG-8X

DAW plugins used (Live 9):
- SoftTube Amp Sim
- Filter Delay
- Compressor
- EQ
- Glue Compressor
- Limiter

Other non-DAW plugins used:
- IVGI
- DC1A
- Replika
- CamelCrusher
- AnSpec
- SPAN

I will admit to not being crazy about what Soundcloud's encoding did to the quality of the track. Anybody have any tips on this front?

I have purposely avoided listening to any others for fear they would scare me off competing. Now, I can turn my attention to listening. :phones:

Upload an uncompressed copy of your song and make sure your highest peaks hit about a dB below 0.

LhaastDaiz wrote:Upload an uncompressed copy of your song and make sure your highest peaks hit about a dB below 0.
That's a good tip. Thanks. For some reason I thought we were meant to upload a tagged mp3. Perhaps I read that wrong.

@All:
I have to give up finally because I have got a tenovaginitis at both hands now. It started at the left hand, which was not a big problem because I simply went on composing by using the midi key editor only, but for that I had to use my right hand (mouse-hand) too often, plus all this trying to handle a new DAW and this constantly click here, click there and so on that all was leading to a starting tenovaginitis at the right hand too.

My body has spoken. I`m ill now. I`m off for while. Typing still works, but I better don`t overdoing it now and make a break with simply all at the moment.

I feel a bit depressed, but despite this bad developement I have learnt again something. I have learnt that I have to be even much better prepared for OSC as I supposed that I would be.
For the future I have learnt:
- Only using my laptop for OSC entries,
- Only using a DAW which works and which I know well.
- Being as good in producing electronic music that there is simply no need to work so much at the pc (by doing try and error and learning something) until I get a tenovaginitis at both hands :wink:
Especially the last point is important I guess. This all has to work much more faster and much more easy and for that I simply still need more practise and time.

Anyway, I wish you all good luck. Listen music still works and after a little break I guess writing comments will also work and so I simply enjoy what has been left for me this month :)

Cheers
Yvonne
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

@Mojo: Och schade! After all that freaking hassle with DAWs and hardware... Get well soon!

@mehum: Thx for sharing the project file. I won't open it before June, so I can't get tempted to use your tricks. :)
[Not sure if I will have the spare time to finish a track this month anyways, but I'm still hoping for it.]

hi. i'm new.
where do i announce my submit on this forum.
is uploaded to soundcloud group already.
thanks.

ok. here is mine. first challenge.
please enjoy.
https://soundcloud.com/cris-mastri/uncl ... ue-pen-mix

synth pg-8x
drums roland tr707

produce/mixed in cubase.
delay/reverb in cubase.

blippobrainhamster wrote:drums roland tr707
Hi, and welcome to the One Synth Challenge. Cheers for your submission, however please be aware of the rules: you must use the synth for all sounds in your song, including drums. Using external plugins/samples/hardware for drums or other sounds is not permitted. To get you started, there are some patches provided by community members, which include banks with drum patches for the PG-8x on the first post of this thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=437718
Just swap out the drums with PG-8x instances before the deadline and you'll be fine (and be sure to comply with the rest of the rules, of course; to be safe, you should list out each individual plugin you use in your submission post).

Mojo42 wrote:@All:
My body has spoken. I`m ill now. I`m off for while. Typing still works, but I better don`t overdoing it now and make a break with simply all at the moment.
Sorry to hear that!

We'll miss your submission, but I'm sure I'm not the only one whose track relies on some of your sounds... In particular the hihats, some percussion, and the 'LD Guitar Acoustic' patch are a big part of my upcoming track.

Get well soon!

z.prime wrote:
blippobrainhamster wrote:drums roland tr707
Hi, and welcome to the One Synth Challenge. Cheers (and be sure to comply with the rest of the rules, of course; to be safe, you should list out each individual plugin you use in your submission post).
Z.prime was also making the point that all FX used must be DAW host stock plugins and freely available (ie no cost) 3rd party items. There are also some "rules" about not using some modulation plugins which can radically alter the sound of the synth as well - e.g. heavy distortion or phasing/chorus. Just check the rules and if you are unsure post your plugin list and just ask here - we are all very friendly and are here to help.

dB

bluerobot wrote: Other non-DAW plugins used:
- IVGI
- DC1A
- Replika
- CamelCrusher
- AnSpec
- SPAN
Hm, I think you'll have to change Replika to something else since it's no longer offered for free...
Mojo42 wrote:@All:
I have to give up finally because I have got a tenovaginitis at both hands now.
Oh, no, I'm sad to hear this! I hope you get well soon!

And to all:
Have listened to all entries so far. Nice stuff! Lots of 80's and 90's feel :)

mehum wrote:
bluerobot wrote: Other non-DAW plugins used:
- IVGI
- DC1A
- Replika
- CamelCrusher
- AnSpec
- SPAN
Hm, I think you'll have to change Replika to something else since it's no longer offered for free...
Ack. Ok, thanks. I deleted the track. Will have to fix next weekend at this point. Sorry to those who had already commented, but I'm afraid I don't have the "replace track" feature.

That's a bummer because I was using Replika for both delay and reverb (in diffusion mode). :(

I have a bank of 22 patches I made. I was going to enter for the first time, but it looks like I won't make it this time. These patches are mostly modern progressive, but some are useful for about anything. I think the e-piano2 is probably the most useful of them. It starts out with an attempt at a kick and a snare that were mostly a learning experience, but the rest are more polished. Maybe someone is looking for a slightly different sound at this late time or may just want to experiment.

https://app.box.com/s/h8446hmv3sn3twpe1j6kl811yqowd83k

Al

Is there any thread for OSC suggestions, by the way?
I just stumbled across Synplant, which is quite fun! :hyper: :lol:
...really a bizarre little thing.

Return to “Instruments”