Feature Request ( bordering on bug ): touchscreen support

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

On Linux ( haven't tried on anything else ), spinning control knobs using the touchscreen is basically impossible. When I touch and start dragging, nothing happens. Then, all of a sudden, the knob / slider / whatever flips all the way from one extreme to another ... ie the entire range of motion appears to be triggered in just a few pixels ( possibly 1 ).

Just to be clear - touch support works fine in other apps - I don't have a config issue. In Ardour, for example, spinning knobs with the touchscreen works great.

Thats the same symptom that I have with my Pen/Tablet. Basically it's the absolute positioning of the mouse cursor that leads to weird effects. I sometimes have that with some poorly designed VST synths too.

(See also http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=406900 )

Yeah, Tablet support would be great. I use a wacom Intuos 5 here and brought it up during beta, but it was pretty far down the priority list since most musicians don't use tablets.
But at least it should be implemented sooner than Ableton Live which only made it an option in the config file in Version 8 ;-)

Don't have a touchscreen so can't comment on that.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Hi,

Is this problem also related to this:?

When i try too draw in automation points whit the pen and draw a line ,the cursor disapears.
There is no way to see where your automationpoint is going and it just goes nuts .

Yep. No support for absolute coordinates yet...
So stuff shoots off into oblivion.
Bitwig made me buy a mouse again...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

Interesting ... My Intuos 5 works fine here. Disapearing mouse cursor once in a while but that's it.

Ahww,and here i was almost buying a Wacom cinteq 13HD.
Hopefully the BW crew will fixe it someday.

Thx Tom ,u just saved me 700€.

I would recommend writing to support anyway to let the team know that there is demand.

svervs: are you using the touch function of the Intuos or the pen? The touch function isn't absolute coordinates so it basically works like a mouse - no problem there. It's only absolute positioning devices like touchscreens and graphic tablets with pens in absolute mode that show this problem.

Live only solved it in version 7 or 8 - Claes once said to me that they will definitely solve it sooner ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote:are you using the touch function of the Intuos or the pen?
I'm only using the pen. I'm on OS X btw ...
I've had some problems with some 1.1x versions with jumpy/lagging slider/knob movements, but that's fine since 1.17 again, I think ...
Last edited by svervs on Tue May 26, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ah, maybe it's different on OSX.

Overall I'm sure it's not too far away since touchscreens are way more popular with musicians than graphics tablets, so the demand is actually there.

Cheers,

Tom

Would the automation point line drawing/knob turning work if the pen is in mouse mode?
One could program a button on the pad/pen to switch between pen and mouse mode maybe?

Yes, that works.
That is also why the Wacom Touch functions work - they aren't using absolute coordinates where the point where you touch the tablet is where the pointer jumps but work basically like a mouse or laptop trackpad.
AFAIK the problem is related to using virtual mouse coordinates where the way you travel with the mouse in pixels isn't the same as the slider or rotary knob is changing, instead each value change in a certain direction is used to increase or decrease the parameter. Devices with absolute positioning like touch screens and tablets send much more data even if they hardly travel and so parameters tend to shoot off into oblivion.
In the past, many more applications had this problem, in recent years it was mostly software from areas where graphics-tablets are uncommon. Now with the rise of touchscreens it's hopefully a thing of the past soon.

Cheers,

Tom

I see,thx for the information Tom.

Return to “Bitwig”