PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

electro wrote:Fine tuning ADSR will take up to 127 .syx files for each of the four stages.

The quickest way will be to make PG-8X capable of writing JX-8P compatible .syx.
The PG-8X is able to write JX-8P sysex files.

It is now not so much about the timing, but about the shape of the attack phase. The hardware envelopes are (calculated at ridiculously low rate) simulations of RC envelopes. What is not yet right is the level to which the attack is pulled (which needs to exceed the value at which it triggers the decay stage). The difference to the hardware is not huge, but I can hear that it is still not quite there.

Cheers,
Martin

martin_l wrote: [..]
In the meantime, instead of completely disabling the undo-history, you can specify to save only minimal undo-data for this plugin only. When you select the plugin from the list (when inserting into a new track) you can right-click, which in reaper will give you some more options how reaper is dealing with this plugin.
[..]
very nice, didn't know bout that.
thxalot

Hi Martin,
Great work on this synth! It sure has its quirks but it's a joy to work with when getting it right.

I'm also an OSCer so have been using it pretty extensively the last three weeks and while I have not noticed some of the other bugs people have encountered there's one envelope-related issue I have not yet seen addressed...

I have attached the patch where it happens (based on the article in Sound on sound making a piano patch for Super JX10).

The problem is the release. When set to equal length for amplifier and filter (ENV2 and ENV1) and playing a chord where not all notes are released at the same time there's often, not always, an audible burst of noise just when the release time seems to be over and everything should drop to zero.
The problem does not seem to occur when playing single or very few simultaneous notes or when programming it to have all note off at the same time.

I suppose the problem is that there's a sudden cut to -INF when the release time is over.
If I lengthen the release time for ENV1 a bit the problems first seem to disappear but still occurs at seemingly random. Even set at 99 I still see that there's a sudden drop on the meters, it's just not enough to be audible.

Although this is the only patch for which I've hade this problem it probably comes more down to how it's played. My layered PianoB patch does not seem to emit noise but has very different release times.

I use the 64 bit version in Reaper on an i5, Win 7. Processor one or two years old I think...
Just over 31 instances in my project and CPU hit is at worst 25% so can't say I have performance issues.
I made a clean project with just this patch and the noise burst is still there, by the way.

If there's any more tests I should perform I can do it. I'm a programmer myself and am well aware how hard it can be to track down and reproduce bugs...
Any advice on how to get around this is also welcome! It's a bit annoying when my tune ends with a burst of noise :D Could, of course, use some level automation to get rid of it...

Anyway, thanks a lot for your work on this great synth! Looking forward to version 1.0!
By the way, having an OSC with it at this stage is almost optimal. Now you have about 50 dedicated beta testers! :D

EDIT: I figured out it's probably voice number related. My PianoB patch also had problems although they happened with overlaps rather than on note ends.
Solution: Split my piano into 4 parts (x2 layers of PG8X), each playing only a couple of notes... :)
So a feature request: 48 voice mode!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

How will we read the next page of this thread?

Velocity doesn't go higher than 127. :lol:
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

^^^^ Genius! :D

electro wrote:How will we read the next page of this thread?

Velocity doesn't go higher than 127. :lol:
Hahah, you made my day :D

mehum wrote:By the way, having an OSC with it at this stage is almost optimal. Now you have about 50 dedicated beta testers! :D
And a lot of work... :D

Last edited by Par9 Zalpov on Fri May 29, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bears, vodka, balalayka.
Mixing tracks. neurodriveaudio@gmail.com

Par9 Zalpov wrote:PG8X nice synth
small test here
https://soundcloud.com/neurodrive-audio/pg8x
sounds even better without all that hard core compression/maximizing :phones:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: sounds even better without all that hard core compression/maximizing :phones:
ah.. ok ok :neutral:
Bears, vodka, balalayka.

@Martin do you have some sort of mailinglist like the Variety of Sound guy? Would be great to have news of your synth delivered straight to ones inbox:-)
Beats Of The Heart - Reggae Documentary (1977)
Post-Dilla: A Comprehensive Guide to the Beat Generation:

...where's the lnk to the latest beta? the dev page has 2012 things

EDIT: nevermind
"I never did care for music much. It's the high fidelity!" — Flanders & Swann

issue with using presets. when I chose preset and click "play" then preset becomes "by default" and all settings are dropped.
DAW Reaper(64bit) 7.78
Bears, vodka, balalayka.

Par9 Zalpov wrote:issue with using presets. when I chose preset and click "play" then preset becomes "by default" and all settings are dropped.
DAW Reaper(64bit) 7.78
Hi ,

which version are you using? VST or AU? And what do you mean by "play"?

Martin

martin_l wrote:
Par9 Zalpov wrote:issue with using presets. when I chose preset and click "play" then
Hi ,which version are you using? VST or AU? And what do you mean by "play"?
Martin
using vst PGX8-64_2015_04_29.dll
play knob in DAW.
Bears, vodka, balalayka.

Return to “Instruments”