Do people dislike synths that are easy to screw up?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Poly-Ana Reaktor

Not going to point fingers, but Poly-ana is one of my favorite synths. The problem with it is a very small knob turn can completely fubar a sound in some cases of complex routings. I think of it like a somewhat large mathematical equation, and I can get some nice tones from it, but getting it there is a real pain. Just the smallest change in amplitude somewhere along the way can take the sound from sheer gold to total shit.
So, it's not surprising it's not that popular.
There is also Reaktor, which is really nice, can do things no other synths can, but does it in a really simple way. You can write equations in it, and make feedback loops, but that's about the only thing it's good for. As a synth it really sucks, mainly because of limitations of the user interface.
Do people just tend to stick with the wavetables because they are so predictable? Even if they don't have the character and development of virtual analogs (or just really long math formulas)?

camsr wrote:There is also Reaktor, which is really nice, can do things no other synths can, but does it in a really simple way. You can write equations in it, and make feedback loops, but that's about the only thing it's good for. As a synth it really sucks, mainly because of limitations of the user interface.
:lol:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

camsr wrote:
There is also Reaktor, which is really nice, can do things no other synths can, but does it in a really simple way. You can write equations in it, and make feedback loops, but that's about the only thing it's good for. As a synth it really sucks, mainly because of limitations of the user interface.
Do people just tend to stick with the wavetables because they are so predictable? Even if they don't have the character and development of virtual analogs (or just really long math formulas)?
yeah...i cant take this post seriously after reading that.
ImageImageImage

camsr wrote:Not going to point fingers, but Poly-ana is one of my favorite synths. The problem with it is a very small knob turn can completely fubar a sound in some cases of complex routings. I think of it like a somewhat large mathematical equation, and I can get some nice tones from it, but getting it there is a real pain. Just the smallest change in amplitude somewhere along the way can take the sound from sheer gold to total shit.
So, it's not surprising it's not that popular.
You mean you don't own one of these? I thought they shipped bundled with the Poly-Ana plug signed by the Admiral himself :?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsZuFPeZznA

I'd rather think Poly-Ana isn't so popular because analog emulation is not for everyone, and the GUI looks, let's say, a bit overly complicated. At least it wasn't really ever very attractive to me (not to mention that the dev didn't really make the best impressions on me too with his posts...). Reaktor is kind of restricted to people really knowledged with synthesis and the inner parts of synthesizers, so it won't appeal to the mass either. Don't think the sound or the ability to mess it up are reasons for unpopularity of either of those plugins.

But on topic, yeah, of course a synth which doesn't really give me some good tones, or only has a very narrow sweet spot won't be very pleasing to me either. :)

No, I prefer synths which are easy to screw up, ie M3, with proper threaded inserts.

http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/gewind ... -84te.html
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

chk071 wrote:I'd rather think Poly-Ana isn't so popular because analog emulation is not for everyone
But do we know for sure that Poly-Ana isn't popular ?

It's popular with Computer Music:
http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/ ... -ana-22974

Numanoid wrote:
chk071 wrote:I'd rather think Poly-Ana isn't so popular because analog emulation is not for everyone
But do we know for sure that Poly-Ana isn't popular ?
No. But the OP claimed so. :P I can't imagine it to be very popular too though. More of a insider tip.

chk071 wrote:No. But the OP claimed so. :P I can't imagine it to be very popular too though. More of a insider tip.
The OP got some interesting claims about Reaktor too. Based on that I'm not sure how much inside information s/he does possess :hihi:

:lol:
:borg:

camsr wrote:Just the smallest change in amplitude somewhere along the way can take the sound from sheer gold to total shit

just like it's developer. seems pretty cool until you say the wrong thing, at which point he loses his shit :o

^ el-bo: :lol: :tu:
Numanoid wrote:
chk071 wrote:No. But the OP claimed so. :P I can't imagine it to be very popular too though. More of a insider tip.
The OP got some interesting claims about Reaktor too. Based on that I'm not sure how much inside information s/he does possess :hihi:
Good on you to take the piss in this thread. If you ever tried to use Reaktor in any more advanced manner, you'd understand.

I not dare pollute this space with facts! :dog:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”