Bitwig on Linux or Windows? Question

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Bitwigers :wink:

i interessted of your meaning. After my Laptop crashes total i use
a Netbook ACER Aspire One 522 with AMD Dual Core 1 GHZ.

What did you meen. Can i have much more Power on the Linux system for Bitwig or is Windows the better system?
I know, that i can´t do big Projekts on a Netbook. But for my work it is enaugh (i used not so much tracks and EFX)

I do my first steps on Linux with Bitwig. It runs verry fine with jack.
But the first think in my eye is, that the drag and drop in XFCE (i use Xubuntu), e.g like a polysynth from the browser to a track, feels much more slower than under Windows.

Waht did you meen Bitwiggers ??? :)

Thanks a lot !
Alex

perso i turned back to win for vst's ease of use.
night life...
sry but i can't talk alone.

but hey !

if u will only use BWS included plugs (i mean no 3rd parties plugs... don't know how to use midi gears on linux too...).... so dont hesitate more between windows, mac or anything....

GO LINUX.
night life...

esq1 wrote: I do my first steps on Linux with Bitwig. It runs verry fine with jack.
But the first think in my eye is, that the drag and drop in XFCE (i use Xubuntu), e.g like a polysynth from the browser to a track, feels much more slower than under Windows.
Alex
I think video driver choice is very important to smooth use
of any DAW in linux. After that, the window-manager is very important.
My best results are with the offical nvidia driver, and lightweight
gui, like E19, lxde, openbox. xfce has a good reputation,
so you might look at possible video driver options.

There may be apps running in the background that
are not part of audio production. Or hardware like
webcam, bluetooth, network being monitored for actions.

Qjackctl settings are another thing to check, and there are several options for kernels optimized for audio performance.

There is a Carla linux-vst plugin that can host other linux plugins,
some of which may be low on cpu use, while still
offering fine sounds and effects.

Google your netbook, video and audio chipsets, with terms
like alsa, ubuntu, linux, usually provides info that helps.
Cheers

I do Linux. I do everything on Linux and I like it that way. However, I think it boils down to this:

If you are in to using Bitwig to make music, then Linux is Fine.

If you are in to plugins plugins PLUGINS! use windows.

There are plenty of resources within Bitwig alone. I have added some U-He things that I like, some Loomer things that I like, and the free VST's from KXStudio- and I find myself wanting nothing.

However, if you want all the Waves plugins and everything else under the sun, stick with Windows.

Just remember, they are all just tools. If the music is really in you, it will find it's way out of you one way or another. Good luck!

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:
...If you have to fix it with a computer: quantized, pitch corrected, and overly inspected, then you can't do it, and I can't get behind that!
-Henry Rollins; I Can't Get Behind That-from William Shatner's, "Has Been"

Linux, i'm there for music => so Linux ;-)

gnome 3 for me btw

Here it's running very smooth with linux.

I installed it on a desktop(core i5 12gb ram+ssd) with a passive cooled radeon card that is 4years old.
On my laptop it's running on a core2duo 1,87ghz with simple intel gfx chip. Laptop is 6years old (4gb & ssd in it). It's running fine but i don't need to run multiple plugins from u-he on that laptop :-)..

Bitwig plugins+u-he+plugins from kxstudio/distrho(tal plugin ports etc) and in future also pianoteq.

GUI's are Fluxbox or Gnome3.X

There is no significant difference between Windows and Linux in terms of the audio processing performance. The main thing that could force you to stay on Windows is the wide range of available VST plugins. If specific VST plugins aren't important for you, then you can choose what you like best. TBH, I use some of Windows plugins in my Linux "studio", so in practice Linux doesn't even limit you to the native plugins. :wink:
Last edited by psycha0s on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

guyz, did u tried using elicenser/ilok stuffs on linux ? it works ?

(external gears are just gears...)
night life...

Those are expensive copy protections. Would cost more to port them,
than the increased sales of the products they protect, would generate.

There are more ingenious protection schemes lacking dongles.
Pretty sure that's why Apple bought Camel Audio. The synth part was
just frosting on the security cake they needed.

(edit: pardon my english but...)

there also U-He guyz that developps plugs NATIVE LINUX now...

it's good !

but u know it's a world of money, and money and money and rights money, so money money shits.....
night life...

When abique offered to port the U-he plugins, I'll guess that U-he
acceptance was motivated more by art, science, philosophy, and goodwill,
than by money. Hopefully money will roll in during the long run,
and perhaps unexpected opportunities will develope. Time will tell.

But I'm out in the peanut gallery, just a happy spectator, guessing about things.
But enjoying all this great software more than ever! :party:

I have not used a windows OS for anything as the past 7 years, so therefore I cannot speak of how smooth windows would run, but from what I remember windows always had so many processes running in the background that I imagine this would not be good for isssues such as xruns/latency etc ?, anyway I find Linux and Bitwig runs very well together ( minus the already known bugs ).
Today I will be setting up Bitwig to run as a shell, practically like a desktop environment of it's own ( I have Renoise running smoothly like this using the ALSA backend, havn't set it up with JACK yet ) and report back here with my findings ;)
And as for plugins i.e Linux vst , I use illformed/dblue Glitch2, U-He ACE, and Redux and they are 100% stable. It is also possible to run windows vst through a bridge on Bitwig, which in most plugins seems to be quite stable too ;)

Linux user here, it is faster, dont bother you with updates, much more stable and easier to use.

Also it does not spy on you.

Return to “Bitwig”