Product Roadmap

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VCA, what is difference between them, and the macro/audioreceivers on the groups pattern ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpPI9S9PJN8

which can be applied to any groupped tracks (original sends ofc. also have to be replaced with their audioreceiver counterparts)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I'll reiterate again:

Why include a VCA? If you want to adjust and automate the levels of multiple channels simultaneously, why not just create a group and use the group fader to achieve the same result?

Post–fade effects are the simple example. If you are adding reverb to individual tracks from a post–fade send and use a conventional group channel / fader to bring down the level of all those tracks, you will end up with a wetter signal, because the gain has been reduced in the dry path but the wet path has stayed the same. If, however, you use a VCA group, the group fader is changing the gain of each channel, so the amount of signal fed to the post–fade send also reduces by the same amount and the dry/wet balance is maintained. Not to menetion the fact that you will be (hopefully) creating a better gain staged mix.

Someone mentioned including them within the group, simple enough. However, there's a larger theme at play here in that you can include channels that are routed to different outputs in the same VCA, which would be impossible using conventional grouping and group faders.

Hence, you have have one Fader that controls each subcomponent, this time I'll use synths and bass as the examples. Or whatever you choose. The previous video was an Aux Channel / Group routing. These can be useful. However, VCAs do not have physical routings, but rather affect the signal itself, hence their name-- Voltage Control Amplifier. They then control your Aux channels -- as well as whatever else you decide to be mapped in. Again, this will come into play on a more complex track. Otherwise, there could be constant tweaking of multiple parameters if you decide to change one component's relative level. WIth a VCA, you adjust a fader.

Again, having an Auxillary Send included in a Group Track is perhaps not the best tactic. It's essentially the same as just having a channel insert and adjusting the wet signal; the return channel will be dedicated to the group, not the mix.
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

Edit, nm missed something you said.

Ok, I get how it works. I was just looking for some examples of stuff you couldn't do in Bitwig already. So an instance where you have a reverb send for the whole mix and you want to avoid the wet/dry out of whack issue when you lower just one part of the mix is a good one.

Return to “Bitwig”