AAS Ultra Analog VA-2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ultra Analog VA-2

For generic VA I prefer Fabfilter Twin2, also way better interface.
dedication to flying

ghettosynth wrote:
MarlaPodolski wrote:I get a real kick out of all the whining and complaints this synth receives. Typical of a certain mentality. Meanwhile, I usually prefer NOT to talk about this synth. Today is the only rare exception, just 'cause the stink constantly raised over it is beyond logic.

Why don't you all just go a use Zebra? Seems most want cookie-cutter looks and sounds anyway. You can just leave this UA-2 to me and the few others who know awesome sounds when we hear them and can comprehend the abilities and potential in this particular synth. Apparently many others cannot. And that is so totally fine with me!

To each his own, I don't like the filters in AAS synths. Consequently, I only like the AAS synths that aren't extremely dependent on the filter, e.g., collision. While I don't like the VA-2 gui, it's the sound that is meh to me. I'm really glad that Ableton put Andy's filters in Operator and Sampler. They should have put them in Analog as well.

What I understand even less is why people get so upset when other's are critical of the products that they like. The Omnisphere crowd is renowned for this. Why would you care that other people don't like VA-2? For me, the most helpful opinions when I'm trying to make a decision come from people who are willing to express some criticism. I've long learned to ignore gushing "me-toos" from fans. They may be have basis in fact or they may just be the result of popularity. Critics often say why the don't like something and you can decide if their point of view matters to you.
I personally love all AAS instruments, except for Tassman which I haven't got, for their ingenuity, originality, musicality, and even for their GUI.
By the way, your virulent criticism of Omnisphere made me order it. Never been happier, so thanks.

rod_zero wrote:For generic VA I prefer Fabfilter Twin2, also way better interface.
No doubt, it's miles ahead of either UA-1 or UA-2.

ghettosynth wrote:
rod_zero wrote:For generic VA I prefer Fabfilter Twin2, also way better interface.
Thought you didn't have UA-2?

Fleer wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
I demoed when it came out, as a UA-1 customer, I got that email.

Fleer wrote:
By the way, your virulent criticism of Omnisphere made me order it. Never been happier, so thanks.
That's the spirit :lol:

ghettosynth wrote:
Fleer wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
I demoed when it came out, as a UA-1 customer, I got that email.
Have to say that I love String Studio and Chromaphone even more. Highly original sounds you won't find anywhere. Very interesting modeling going on.

EnGee wrote:
Fleer wrote:
No doubt, but I'm not sure that it's a good strategy, buying everything that I hate would bankrupt a small country.

And I live in a very small one ...

ghettosynth wrote:
EnGee wrote:
Fleer wrote:
No doubt, but I'm not sure that it's a good strategy, buying everything that I hate would bankrupt a small country.
Ohh!
Well, it is the opposite situation with me, "buying everything that I 'love' would bankrupt a small country" :hihi:

Anyway, it is good that poeple's taste and opinions are not the same because that would balance the things. For me, I still like VA-2 and although it's not my main synth to go, but I knew this before buying it. It is a 'helper' synth, great for percussion and effects. It can do nice basses and pads as well, but what I like most are the percussion and metallic sounds most. In other synths (Bazille, Prism, ..etc) it takes much more cpu to have such results. For $50 ~ $75, it is a great value IMO. More than this, hmmmm, I'm not sure. Of course Bazille is my new hero and it is an incredible digital modular synth but I won't use my Rolls Royce to go to the near supermarket! I use my Mini (for example of course, because I don't even have a bicycle :hihi: )

Yes, the GUI could be better, but after playing with the parameters in some hardware synths, I see any GUI in the computer as a fresh cool beer in a hot summer 8) So, I'm not so bothered really ;)

Twin2 was rather noisy the last time I tried it, and the user interface is not exactly intuitive, either.

In view of the latest generation of synths, all those older $xxx VA synths are quite overpriced. One of the few that has the right price is Retrologue.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Twin2 was rather noisy the last time I tried it, and the user interface is not exactly intuitive, either.

In view of the latest generation of synths, all those older $xxx VA synths are quite overpriced. One of the few that has the right price is Retrologue.
This is why I stick with Reaktor. It's trivial to replace the filters in an otherwise interesting synth in Reaktor. You can even put the thing on a switch so that if you need a cpu efficient plugin for some sounds, you just switch to the less demanding filter.

I haven`t read the whole thread and so I don`t know if it is still needed, but because I purchased Ultra Analog VA-2 today and couldn`t find any init preset I simply made one and uploaded it here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/ultra-a ... /downloads
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

That was also the first thing I did when I bought it :)
With all those controls, they should have included one...

I upgraded yesterday to the full modeling collection (I already had 3 of the products)...and it is fantastic! Chromaphone is awesome. I had VA-2 and enjoy it immensely. Hope they offer another free sound collection mid month like past years.

Return to “Instruments”