AAS Ultra Analog VA-2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ultra Analog VA-2

@fluffy_little_something: Yep it is fascinating that the synth developer so often forget to offer the most important patch: The init patch :lol:

@thejonsolo: I understand your happiness quite well. I also would love to have the full bundle :lol:
I`m also impressed by the sound of Ultra Analog VA-2 and despite this tiny knobs (one can complain about of course) I think the GUI is okay and I can handle it easy. More soundbanks for free would be really cool. I only found one by Joel Bisson at Audiobombs

Ultra Analog VA-2 Soundbank by Joel Bisson

and this handful of patches here at KVR.
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

I have three of their full version plugins now, and VA2 is the weakest in my view. On the speakers it sounds good, but on the headphones little details strike. The envelopes in particular don't sound as clean as Sylenth's, especially in mono mode. The attack is unclean no matter what I do.
And it pisses me off that the bend range is not saved with patches. Every time I launch VA2, I have to reduce the value from 12 to 3 semitones again manually.
It is a good, complete synth, but it isn't really fit to hold a candle to Sylenth, frankly.
But I can use it for soft poly sounds such as brass pads, they sound nice on VA2. Not least because there is not the slightest aliasing or other noise on chords on higher octaves, which is nice.

thejonsolo wrote:I upgraded yesterday to the full modeling collection (I already had 3 of the products)...and it is fantastic! Chromaphone is awesome. I had VA-2 and enjoy it immensely. Hope they offer another free sound collection mid month like past years.
+1 , they're making a wonderful job in physical and/or acoustic modeling in a more or less generic way, (unless for instance moddart that is primarily focused on modeled pianos or similar...)

Ooops I have checked out this "bank" by Joel Bisson, but it seems that is only one single patch :lol:

Well okay. Seems we need a couple of cool soundbanks.

@fluffy_little_something: I also own Sylenth :D :D :D
I see Ultra Analog as a completion to my synth collection and for this special price at the moment.....
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
Daodejing verse 37

Krakatau wrote:
thejonsolo wrote:I upgraded yesterday to the full modeling collection (I already had 3 of the products)...and it is fantastic! Chromaphone is awesome. I had VA-2 and enjoy it immensely. Hope they offer another free sound collection mid month like past years.
+1 , they're making a wonderful job in physical and/or acoustic modeling in a more or less generic way, (unless for instance moddart that is primarily focused on modeled pianos or similar...)
Bought the digital piano thingy yesterday. I know purists will say it sounds nothing like a real Rhodes, bla bla bla, just like they do with Moog's, Oberheim's etc. But I disagree, especially alongside other instruments I can not tell the difference, frankly. Sure, I am no Rhodes expert, but then again, hardly anyone is. I just want that typical Rhodes sound and Lounge Lizard delivers that in a convincing manner.

Mojo42 wrote:Ooops I have checked out this "bank" by Joel Bisson, but it seems that is only one single patch :lol:

Well okay. Seems we need a couple of cool soundbanks.

@fluffy_little_something: I also own Sylenth :D :D :D
I see Ultra Analog as a completion to my synth collection and for this special price at the moment.....
Yes, they kind of complement each other since they have rather different basic sounds. Sylenth has more oomph in my view, VA2 sounds tamer and flatter somehow. But it can do things Sylenth can't, osc sync and real pwm most of all.

I had to get used to the architecture at first. For some reason I had assumed that osc 1 belonged to all the other stuff numbered 1, and the same for osc 2. But that is not the case. Maybe they should have named them osc A and osc B instead.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Yes, they kind of complement each other since they have rather different basic sounds. Sylenth has more oomph in my view, VA2 sounds tamer and flatter somehow. But it can do things Sylenth can't, osc sync and real pwm most of all.
Yep, I`m in general as addicted to synths that I think one can`t have enough of them :lol: Seems that metallic sounds work nice with Ultra Analog and this special architecture makes unexpected, intresting sounds possible.
fluffy_little_something wrote: I had to get used to the architecture at first. For some reason I had assumed that osc 1 belonged to all the other stuff numbered 1, and the same for osc 2.
Me too!!!
fluffy_little_something wrote: But that is not the case.
Indeed. It depends on how one mix the signal. Reading the handbook always helps :lol:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Maybe they should have named them osc A and osc B instead.
Yeah maybe. But if you intentionally seperate the sources complete with the mix button, then actually filter 1 belongs to VCO 1 and filter 2 to VCO 2 and then the concept with the numbers work well again haha. But what really sucks are this horrible tiny green buttons/lights. I simply have overseen them and forgotten to push them, when I played around with Ultra Analog yesterday. I turned the knobs of the filters and absolutely nothing happened...what to hell.... haha. Then I recognized that I have to activate them first lol. Oh my, I consider about a new init patch.... :lol:
Daodejing verse 37

FYI sale on Ultra Analog & String Studio soundbanks by one of the AAS designers:
http://www.kvraudio.com/news/status-hol ... anks-31815
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

If some of you are interested in 260 new instruments for Ultra Analog v1 and/or V2 ( 17€), just go there, and listen to a lot of audio demos.

We also have a totally crazy *FX only* bank for AAS Ultra Analog 1 & 2, and it's there
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Yes, those green lights are really microscopic, crazy designers...

I have read the manual as well, it is pretty good.

Was just playing around with it some more. I am not sure, but I think the amp Key knobs might work the wrong way round. Can any of you confirm that? Just tried it with two patches, and as I turn the knob clockwise, the volume of low notes is increased and vice versa. But I think it should be the other way round, according to logic and the manual as well. But as I said, I am not sure, there are so many controls, maybe I am simply missing something :)

Received a mail saying they are giving me any one of their sound sets for Christmas :) I never buy other people's sound sets, but If I were to get a set for free, is there any particularly good sound set I should get? They have lots of them, not sure I can listen to so many audio files because of my mobile Internet access...

I had the same dilemma and ended up choosing the Richard Devine UA set (as I already had all the Chromaphone sets) - I like it.

They have a deal on the whole 'Modeling' bundle at $199 for people using their Session versions. Seems like great value for money.

With their soundbank giveaway I got 'Entangled Species' which has massively increased my interest in String Studio.

What's going on under the hood of the AAS Player? I just assumed it was some kind of sample library player (Kontakt), but the file sizes are tiny. Is it running the actual synths in the background?

It appears to be a reduced version of their synths, definitely not sample based anyway - annoying though that their preset bank installers don't give an option not to install it. Everytime I install one I have to go into plugins and delete it again.

Return to “Instruments”