What is the downward pointing arrow?

Official support for: energy-xt.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys. I haven't been using eXT for a while but I'm getting back into it.
What is the downward pointing arrow icon next to the grid settings?
When I click it, it turns into a right pointing arrow. What does it do?
What does it mean?
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

The manual says: "Toggle between absolute and relative snap". But don't ask me about the difference. I would be happy, someone here has a clue.

Thanks. At least now I know it's not anything I really need to worry about.
Which PDF manual are you reading and which page is that on? Do you have a link?

I think it has to do with the grid.
If you move an event, note, in one of the mode it will snap to the absolute grid or in grid steps from the original position of the note.
In absolute mode, If the note is on the grid or near the grid snapping location, it will move to the grid by force.
In relative mode it will move in grid increments but not to the grid snaps ( if the note is off a bit it will move, in 16th for example, and end up a little off again but in a 16th step).

This is what I recall....

Gee, it is not easy to explain....
Anyone?
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Page 14....
But it doesn't explain the meaning of Absolute vs Relative.

:hihi: As said: Don't ask me... I answered just your question which PDF

B.t.w.: I sorted the individual snap feature out like a lot of unnecessary features - especially in the newer releases of eXT. Jorgen should be aware of the documented bugs, than building strange or useless things. Ignorance seems the best way to survive, sometimes. So do I.

Still...
Was my interpretation right or surely wrong? :dog: :hihi:

eXT Snap.jpg
Confirmed!!! :idea: I moved an unquantized note with "relative on" (pointer to the right) and it snapped (unquantized) one step - as you said. I hope, I saved your weekend. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:phew:
I don't use XT much but for unfinished old work and that function is actually super for moving events with swing without ending up on the grid again. (Avoiding to workaround with temp notes)

Near feature indeed.

Thanks guys. I played around with it again after your explanations and I don't really fully understand it intellectually, but I get the feel of it.
And I can see what it does from your examples. I guess I do understand it, I just don't ever use relative mode. I always make my clips match the grid and if I need to deal with stuff that's more tricky, I use a smaller grid size. But both ways work alright. Nothing's wrong.

Thanks again. LiquidSound, your explanation was good. And so was everyone else's too.

From the energyXT v1 Commands Guide:
- - the vertical arrow indicates absolute Snap: the position or length is adjusted to the Arrange Grid and then by one Snap size at a time, so if the length or position is not aligned to the grid, e.g. to a beat, it will lose its offset and it will be aligned afterwards.
- - the horizontal arrow indicates relative Snap: the position or length is adjusted by one Snap size at a time, if the length or position is not aligned to the grid, e.g. to a beat, it will retain its offset and it will not be aligned afterwards.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Return to “energyXT”