daHornet Patches Sound Different Between v1.34 and v1.43? [fixed]

Official support for: nusofting.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i didn't realize there was an official NUSofting/DashSignature forum here on KVR, so i posted this in the Instruments forum:

i was wondering if anyone noticed the patches in daHornet being different between versions 1.34 and 1.43. i'm on my last Sonar-to-Logic project conversion.

to: daHornet 1.43 AU in Logic 32-bit
patch: 71 "Kirk's Nightmare"

The patches sound different to me. It's subtle for some, not so subtle for others. 71 "Kirk's Nightmare" almost sounds like it's an entirely different octave (changing the oscillator settings don't seem to help), while patch 72 sounds close but not consistently (trigger the notes repeatedly and the filtering or phase seems to change, whereas it stays much more consistent on the older version over on Sonar). Volume isn't the issue.

i don't have any filter or FX plugins loaded in either case. i'm not sure what else to check, so i thought i would ask here to see if this is a known issue.

UPDATE: i'm finding that OSC 2 settings on the Mac AU for patch 71 (and some other patches i'm trying) do NOTHING at all (i'm comparing against what they do on the Windows version). Seems to me there's a bug between the versions of some kind??

UPDATE 2: It seems pulse width doesn't work at all on the Mac version. ?? The more i fiddle with the preset to try to get it to match the Windows version, the more i find there to be something just broken here...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

The DSP code should be completely portable between the OSes and architectures. I'm not sure I have a v1.34 to compare with, but I should be able to compare current Windows and OS X versions.

OK, I can confirm what you are hearing. I do have a Windows v1.34 and a OS X v1.43 to compare, and yes listening more closely to some of those patches with Osc 1 set to pulse / square I do hear differences. We will investigate further. At this stage I don't know if it's a cross-platform bug or something introduced in the changes from v1.34 and v1.43.

So it seems it's a change of beaviour in the PWM (only ?), it shouldn't be too hard to fix that

Thank you for investigating this, liqih. I'm not sure if it's ONLY the PWM behavior, but it does seem to be relevant to the issue.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

We already fixed that, it was just a small bug,
soon we will release the 1.43.1 of daHornet for Mac that fixes the issues you reported. Thanks for your help to make daHornet bugs free.

liqih wrote:We already fixed that, it was just a small bug
Very small: not just a one-liner, but one incorrect letter on one line. And I would like to add my thanks to Liqih's. Thank you Jace-BeOS for checking further and giving us the big hint about the pulse width. It narrowed down the bug search considerably, and yes that one problem also caused Osc 2 to effectively be drowned out in those patches.

Awesome! i'm happy to offer my observations :-) Thank you very much for the bug fix.

When can i look forward to the update?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Hi,

the idea is to send by e-mail the free update to all registered daHornet users, possibly later this week.
So to be sure you are in my records you may send me a PM.

Done :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

so today I'm sending the free update of daHornet 1.41.1 AU VST for Mac to all donors, some thousands in my records. Anyway if someone who donated and uses daHornet-1.43 on Mac, and will not receive the e-mail, can ask me here.

Great news!

I'll check it out when I get back into my studio space.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Hi,

please let us know if everything is working as expected.

Thanks

I tested this new fixed version and found the patch behaving exactly as it does on the Windows version. So it seems the fix was a success in terms of my immediate needs.

Thank you very much for the support and the very quick solution! :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Great! Thanks for the feedback

Return to “NUSofting”