Am I the only one who couldn't care less about touchscreen?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

anp27 wrote:
pdxindy wrote:and get the MPE stuff completely working with U-he synths.
This has already been mentioned and discussed. Urs from u-He says that he is actually waiting for the MIDI Manufacturers Association to take MPE out of beta mode, at the moment they have not yet fully standardized or finalized it. So until that happens, Urs cannot proceed. It is actually on the MMA and Urs right now, not the Bitwig team.
That is just a standard... Bitwig could make it so the U-he synths work as is...

I don't consider it 'on' anybody... but I'd be happy if were made to work correctly :wink:

pdxindy wrote:That is just a standard... Bitwig could make it so the U-he synths work as is...
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=440604

It is still not out of "draft mode" which is what Urs is waiting for. I think Dom or somebody from the Bitwig team have already mentioned that the capability is somewhat there but Urs will have to implement it fully.

viceverser wrote:I honestly think the Bitwig Devs are brilliant, forward thinking individuals... And I am thankful for their efforts. I understand they don't owe me anything... This is the only community I have taken an interest in, due to the belief in the Devs and their vision.
2nd that. I also keep and eye on Geist but honestly, the Bitwig guys are worlds apart and are on fire like Mokingjay ready to impeach the president (no disrespect to FXpansion). At the end of the day these are tools and you buy the right tools for the job.

anp27 wrote:
pdxindy wrote:That is just a standard... Bitwig could make it so the U-he synths work as is...
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=440604

It is still not out of "draft mode" which is what Urs is waiting for. I think Dom or somebody from the Bitwig team have already mentioned that the capability is somewhat there but Urs will have to implement it fully.
While it would be great to see u-he synths fully support MPE, there are issues that Bitwig could address that would make all synths much more usable in MPE type mode. Currently you can not correctly play back any synth with per note pitch bends that has a bend range of less than +/- 48. Even synths that work correctly with the linnstrument or seaboard, while having a pitch bend range of 24 for example, will can not have it's information properly captured and played back. So this is not an u-he specific issue. U-he synths do work with linnstrument for example and allow bends. But bitwig requires 48 note range even though hardware controllers do not.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Currently you can not correctly play back any synth with per note pitch bends that has a bend range of less than +/- 48. Even synths that work correctly with the linnstrument or seaboard, while having a pitch bend range of 24 for example, will can not have it's information properly captured and played back. So this is not an u-he specific issue. U-he synths do work with linnstrument for example and allow bends. But bitwig requires 48 note range even though hardware controllers do not.
Ah, I see your point.

Andrey Marchenko wrote:
Key word here is PLAY. Touch devices nowadays can be used like controllers for DAW (like app for iPad to use it with Logic Pro). But using DAW in it - garbage. Just look at Thavius Beck on NAMM! HE USE STYLUS WITH SURFACE!!! I mean all this touch screen shit still not for serious work. We need 2 or 3 years before it will be really usable. I can give 99,9% that all people who have big touch screens still using mouse for work!

P.S.: I'm not a fanboy but Ableton Live and new Push 2 kicks Bitwig's ass. And you know why? Because we are humans and all of us like tactile feelings! That's why analog gear & vinyl still on top of this digital shit.
You do realize a stylus is the only way to get pressure sensitivity out of a capacative touch screen right :?

equinoxide wrote:
Andrey Marchenko wrote:
Key word here is PLAY. Touch devices nowadays can be used like controllers for DAW (like app for iPad to use it with Logic Pro). But using DAW in it - garbage. Just look at Thavius Beck on NAMM! HE USE STYLUS WITH SURFACE!!! I mean all this touch screen shit still not for serious work. We need 2 or 3 years before it will be really usable. I can give 99,9% that all people who have big touch screens still using mouse for work!

P.S.: I'm not a fanboy but Ableton Live and new Push 2 kicks Bitwig's ass. And you know why? Because we are humans and all of us like tactile feelings! That's why analog gear & vinyl still on top of this digital shit.
You do realize a stylus is the only way to get pressure sensitivity out of a capacative touch screen right :?
Even with the stylus, Thavius Beck was still frequently clicking twice to do what he wanted. That video shows clearly why I don't like touch interfaces... they are just still clunky... and everytime I see a video or watch someone in person (or try myself) it is the same thing. People are always doing multiple tries to accomplish something due to inaccuracy.

I definitely still haven't experienced a touch interface that was faster, ears-only, more intuitive, less fatigue-inducing, or more obvious about bounds and feedback than traditional real-world controllers. Touching glass (especially multi-touch) requires you to look. I do occasionally use Touch OSC as a simple macro controller for bitwig devices, but even with a Mackie MCU Pro, I'm still significantly faster with keyboard shortcuts and a mouse. I don't think it will be like this forever, with better haptic feedback and dynamic-textured screens for sensing, but for now, no way. :|

I enjoy playing lead phrases on the touch keyboard, i like to play Bitwig as an instrument i would it was as playable as Animoog on ipad with the same touch keyboard layout

equinoxide wrote:
Andrey Marchenko wrote:

and its more precise on those small sized toy tablets. its a matter of time when bigger screens for better handling with fingers will reach the mass market and become affordable.

though marchenko isnt on the wrong side with "humans and all of us like tactile feelings", but a hail to the ableton/push and talking about "digital shit" is pretty funny. :D

and its funny to hear the same complaints about new music tech a generation later.i heard people lamenting about all the digital shit in producing and playing instruments decades ago and i never understood them (while i am still playing guitar, trumpet and a bit of piano). i recently saw roger linn playing his linnstrument and i can´t say this instrument isn´t one or needs no tactile handling or musical sense.
hammering on big push buttons to trigger samples isn´t the end of the story dudes, nor was it ever the beginning.
and yes the ableton/push2 combo is nice and is hard to beat for new challengers on the market. but so is NI/machine and what not...

To really add fuel the fire of this thread again, :wink: someone was talking about VR with Bitwig support ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/ ... have_been/

svervs wrote:To really add fuel the fire of this thread again, :wink: someone was talking about VR with Bitwig support ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/ ... have_been/
nothing special. and there are already a lot of people out there experimenting with lots of hacked stuff controlling their production setup both live or in studio. stuff like the wii controller, a psp asf, i bet theres one out there controlling his units with microsofts 360...asf, people like console/acid pauli. pushing the limits, the final frontier, to boldly go...i think you get it^^.

Return to “Bitwig”