Show Stratosphere used in popular song cover?

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Greg and Co.,

As an aging 'classic' rock guy and player of the actual analogue instrument, I've been surprised how large the learning curve has been learning how to program/sequence music thru my DAW (Fl Studio 11). I've come a long way from when I first started, and I've found I learn and retain the quickest when led by example, especially via video.

That being said, something i truly believe would be not only beneficial to me but tons of your customers would be if you guys could make a video showing how to use Stratosphere to recreate a popular song. This would be incredibly helpful in so many ways, especially to your 'crossover' customers like myself, musicians that are moving from real life ability and experience to virtual.

You might have a much better suggestion as to what song to cover if you do decide to do this, I myself thought of 'Fight the Good Fight' by Triumph, because it has single line playing, power chords, muted playing, clean and distorted. Please note I'm not talking about covering the entire song, just up to say, the completion of the first hook? And just the guitar parts, and it doesn't have to match effects wise, just show us how to program/sequence it in a typical piano roll.

I don't see that there would be any licensing issues that I'm aware of, since your not trying to profit off the song nor claim it as your own, you would know more about that than myself. And it doesn't have to be this song, I just want it to be something most of your customers are familiar with.

This would be extremely helpful Greg, and would help on other products too, and future offerings, I don't see how this isn't a win win all around, how bout it amigo?

Yeah, all the guitar libraries could really benefit from video tutorials that have a more practical approach, like recreating a certain style of guitar track, or how to capture certain quintessential guitar riffs.

Once we have Stratosphere updated to be NKS-ready along with the graphical changes (moving the factory presets to use snapshots, etc.), I think the series of Evolution guitar libraries will be ready for new video tutorials all around. I've been waiting for the interfaces to get to the place where I'm confident they won't change for at least a little while, since any interface changes would essentially make video tutorials become outdated.

That and I'm thinking of moving the documentation to something online-based--with the option to download it as a PDF of course, for people who prefer that. But that way I can update the manual to address common support questions and issues as well as directly embed videos, etc.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

I must say, I'm in full agreement with DD63 in that a visual reference to a 'well-known' song tutorial would be priceless for us oldies.

I await with baited breath (just to find out where I'm going wrong, really) :)

Cheers.

I'm not sure I can cover existing songs due to copyrights, but I can definitely show how to do commonly used guitar techniques (rhythm guitar powerchords, stereotypical guitar riffs, etc.)
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Gregjazz wrote:I'm not sure I can cover existing songs due to copyrights, but I can definitely show how to do commonly used guitar techniques (rhythm guitar powerchords, stereotypical guitar riffs, etc.)
Would you not be able to do 'In the style of' type videos?, I'm sure this would be as good as.

Cheers.

Yeah, I think "in the style of" would work--or if the guitar track was closely modeled (to the point where it's apparent, but not infringing on a song) after famous guitar parts.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Great!...though this is not my thread and was just a sort of suggested compromise, I would rather DD63 throw his thoughts in, too.

Cheers, Greg.

[quote="Scara"]Great!...though this is not my thread and was just a sort of suggested compromise, I would rather DD63 throw his thoughts in, too.

Heh heh, Scara, as far as I'm concerned, anything I post on this forum is OUR thread, not just mine!! ;P Your not stepping on any toes here friend! Thanks for supporting my suggestion, I truly and unselfishly believe it would benefit all, not just myself, nor think its a 'niche' request.

Something I've been DYING to try and find and have been utterly perplexed by the lack of info on (at least as far as I've been capable of finding!) is a true guitar chord to piano chord 'translator'(?) I'm unsure whether I'm making myself clear, if you'll bear with me I'll try and explain . . .

The root note, i.e. the lowest position of the whole A-G scale on a guitar are referred to as 'open' chords, correct? Some refer to this as the 'first position' I believe. Now, on a piano/keyboard, a basic G chord is 3 keys/individual notes. But on a guitar, your actually strumming/voicing six strings. And on the other basic root notes, your voicing/ringing anywhere from 4-6 strings depending on the chord, much more than classic 3 'piano' notes. And for the life of me, I've been unable to find a proper 'translative' chart or software program, written from the guitar players point of view, not from a keyboardist only "I've never played guitar in my life" assuming how it works POV. :)

Are you aware of anything like this, or is this something that needs to discussed into (hopefully!) existing? And I'm not even touching on the entire power chord/barre chord translation issues!

Now, I'm humble enough to freely admit and accept that I could very well be talking out the side of my neck here, and just haven't worded my Google searches adequately, or committed the sin of 'old farts shouldn't make bold statements regarding anything technology based' angle, I'm open to correction/education/guidance . . .

Glad you see a need here Greg, and thank you for that and all your selfless service.

Regarding the copyright issue, I don't know if you even HAVE a 'legal dept' or litigation mouthpiece or document you folks consult when these issues come up, but Ample Sound has a 'Hotel California' video on their website for the Taylor Acoustic VST, and I believe a Pink Floyd 'Wish you were Here' cover (or is that one you guys?), and I doubt they're paying a licensing fee per view on that. As a lifelong musician, and friend to a drummer who made a fair chunk of change in a cover/tribute band, I've been led to understand that as far as public domain musical pieces are concerned, they can be freely performed and even profited off of without prior consent, as long as its crystal clear that its not the original band, or claims of endorsement by said band(s), or performed by the band being covered.

Now, I understand enough about the legal world that this argument wouldn't hold up in court to save your life, and only a fool would act upon this statement as sound legal advice! But perhaps it could be something you can build off of that it appears to at least be doable? Are the guys at Ample Sound enemies/'the evil competition' so much that a friendly query to them is out of the question? Or do you have a legal consultant you can converse with at no charge to throw some advice/suggestions your way?

Just my 2 cents bro, for all I know, you may already be well versed on this exact subject, and I'm here talking out my damn neck again . . . :)

Hi Greg,

Hey amigo, I haven't heard anything further regarding the 'recorded in the style of . . ' part of this thread, and I'm in some desperate need of this or something similar so that I can move ahead with my own work. I have the utmost respect of your time and commitments outside my own selfish needs, so that you understand the reason for this post is to find out whether you're planning on making this happen or not, and if so, can you provide at least a 'loose' timeline of when it might come to fruition? Or is there anything I could do in any way to assist you? (I'm currently unemployed with a great work ethic and alot of free time on my hands, going batshit).

Again, I'm not pushing, its just there was no reply from your end as to whether this was a go or a no. If there exists ANY video your aware of that might help me as an actual guitar player trying to translate my guitar experience into midi/DAW programming or is similar to the type of video were talking about creating, I would be indebted to you if you could share it with me.

Thank you for your time G . . .

Greg did an awesome metal tutorial for strawberry. It was an
in the style of type thing. I would grab some midi file or type in some
guitar world transcriptions.

Knock Knock!....erm....hello?

Are you still around, Greg?.
We sure could do with some kinda response here, mate.

Thnx.

driverdave63 wrote: Regarding the copyright issue, I don't know if you even HAVE a 'legal dept' or litigation mouthpiece or document you folks consult when these issues come up, but Ample Sound has a 'Hotel California' video on their website for the Taylor Acoustic VST, and I believe a Pink Floyd 'Wish you were Here' cover (or is that one you guys?), and I doubt they're paying a licensing fee per view on that. As a lifelong musician, and friend to a drummer who made a fair chunk of change in a cover/tribute band, I've been led to understand that as far as public domain musical pieces are concerned, they can be freely performed and even profited off of without prior consent, as long as its crystal clear that its not the original band, or claims of endorsement by said band(s), or performed by the band being covered.
I've noticed that as well, though I err on the side of "better safe than sorry". Just because other developers aren't licensing the songs doesn't mean that it isn't required, of course. Even though the audio demos aren't sold themselves, they are used to sell a product. It's just not worth the risk, in my opinion. That's why my approach to demo songs is to write something original in the style of a particular song or band instead.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

driverdave63 wrote: Again, I'm not pushing, its just there was no reply from your end as to whether this was a go or a no. If there exists ANY video your aware of that might help me as an actual guitar player trying to translate my guitar experience into midi/DAW programming or is similar to the type of video were talking about creating, I would be indebted to you if you could share it with me.
I've actually just recorded a bunch of new tutorial videos for Evolution Stratosphere that go into more depth in terms of practical usage while explaining how the mapping, strumming, chord modes, etc. work. So that should be helpful, but beyond that I'd like to add videos that show how to "think like a guitarist" whether you're playing from your MIDI keyboard or sequencing note-by-note. Recreating popular types of riffs is a good way to demonstrate that.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”