Saving large files as mp3

Official support for: acondigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I try to save a large WAV file (approx. 57 minutes/1.8 GB) as MP3 in order to save disk space, I get this error message:

Acoustica Premium Edition cannot save the file D:\Music\xxx.mp3.
Please make sure that the file is not opened in another application.

After hunting around unsuccessfully for another open instance of Acoustica or the file, I was able to save it as WMA (52.5 MB) with no problem.

The initial error message is misleading and gives no indication that size is the problem.

Furthermore, a few days later, I was able to reload the same WMA file and now save it as MP3.

Robin

Hi Robin,
RobinL wrote:When I try to save a large WAV file (approx. 57 minutes/1.8 GB) as MP3 in order to save disk space, I get this error message:

Acoustica Premium Edition cannot save the file D:\Music\xxx.mp3.
Please make sure that the file is not opened in another application.

After hunting around unsuccessfully for another open instance of Acoustica or the file, I was able to save it as WMA (52.5 MB) with no problem.

The initial error message is misleading and gives no indication that size is the problem.

Furthermore, a few days later, I was able to reload the same WMA file and now save it as MP3.

Robin
Thanks for reporting this issue. Since it works now, I don't think the file size was the problem. Acoustica uses 64 bit integers for positions internally, so it supports large files for formats that aren't limited to the 32 bit integer boundaries.

Best,
Stian

Stian,

Yes it is working now, but only if I go through the steps WAV -> WMA -> MP3.

Thanks.

Robin

RobinL wrote:Stian,

Yes it is working now, but only if I go through the steps WAV -> WMA -> MP3.

Thanks.

Robin
Oh, I didn't catch that. That's very strange and I don't understand why saving as WMA first makes any difference. Are there any region markers or labels in the original file?

Best,
Stian

No, none. I recorded a streamed radio programme, which defaulted to WAV, then tried to save it as MP3 without making any modifications other than cropping a couple of minutes from the beginning and end.

RobinL wrote:No, none. I recorded a streamed radio programme, which defaulted to WAV, then tried to save it as MP3 without making any modifications other than cropping a couple of minutes from the beginning and end.
Thanks for the info. Very strange -- I'll try to reproduce this...

Best,
Stian

I just tried this again in Acoustica 6.9.97 BETA (Win64) and had the same problem trying to save the WAV file as MP3.

Got the error message:
Sorry an error occured:(
Unable to encode the file Sandy7.mp3

Difference was that although I could save as it as WMA, I could NOT then save the WMA as MP3 (which I was able to do in 6.0).

(Running Windows 10 Home, i7-6700 3.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM)

I would offer to send you the original WAV file, but it's almost 2 GB. The resulting WMA and MP3 files are each slightly under 54 MB.

Robin

Hi Robin,
RobinL wrote:I just tried this again in Acoustica 6.9.97 BETA (Win64) and had the same problem trying to save the WAV file as MP3.

Got the error message:
Sorry an error occured:(
Unable to encode the file Sandy7.mp3

Difference was that although I could save as it as WMA, I could NOT then save the WMA as MP3 (which I was able to do in 6.0).

(Running Windows 10 Home, i7-6700 3.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM)

I would offer to send you the original WAV file, but it's almost 2 GB. The resulting WMA and MP3 files are each slightly under 54 MB.

Robin
That's very strange -- the code is completely new. What's the sample rate and how many channels are there in the original file? Is it possible to save a small selection (see File menu). Maybe you could transfer the wma version using weTransfer to support [at] acondigital.com?

Thanks,
Stian

Reply sent, with link to 100 MB clip.

RobinL wrote:Reply sent, with link to 100 MB clip.
Thank you, Robin! I checked the file and the reason why you cannot save it as MP3 is the sample rate. MP3 only supports sample rates up to 48 kHz and the clip is 96 kHz. Please use the "Convert Sample Format" tool from the Tools menu and convert it to 48 kHz prior to saving it as MP3.

Best,
Stian

Aha! Glad it was not a bug.

Is it possible to detect the reason and generate a more informative error message?

Many thanks.

Robin

RobinL wrote:Aha! Glad it was not a bug.

Is it possible to detect the reason and generate a more informative error message?

Many thanks.

Robin
Yes, I've added a bug tracker entry for that... ;)

Best,
Stian

:tu:

Return to “Acon Digital”