D16 Group teases PunchBOX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PunchBOX

sqigls wrote:compare this shit to a single kick voice of DrumSpillage or the likes, and you will immediately notice that it is near impossible to get a slamming kick going with it. I don't know what passes as a kick drum for most people, but as for a 'one-stop kick plugin', this aint it.
DrumSpillage an PunchBox aren't that comparable as DrumSpillage is all about synthesised drum hits, where as PunchBox, like Stacker, is very much about drum layering with mainly samples and one synth part.

You are never going to be able to make the kicks that PunchBox/Stacker can in DrumSpillage are you?

sqigls wrote:compare this shit to a single kick voice of DrumSpillage or the likes, and you will immediately notice that it is near impossible to get a slamming kick going with it. I don't know what passes as a kick drum for most people, but as for a 'one-stop kick plugin', this aint it.
Not sure, when attempting to compare shortcomings in VSTs, that an instrument available on only one OS is much of a viable contender.

The LIKES of DrumSpillage, as in a drum voice that is TIGHT and PUNCHY. I'm not arguing platforms like a pansy.
Layering is one thing, but if you make a plugin that is designed for ONE thing, I would assume that it would be made to do that thing.
ESPECIALLY when its NAME is PUNCH friggon box.

sqigls wrote:The LIKES of DrumSpillage, as in a drum voice that is TIGHT and PUNCHY. I'm not arguing platforms like a pansy.
Layering is one thing, but if you make a plugin that is designed for ONE thing, I would assume that it would be made to do that thing.
Not really an OS argument, but rather one of an apparent comparison of shortcomings and, ultimately, practicality for the end user. You didn't name others. It's all good. In any case, sounds like it's not for you as you are obviously all set. Additionally, you have adequately illustrated, via compelling capitalization/syncopation scheme, that I might well have been mistaken.

Side note: "pansy" tho? :party:

sqigls wrote:The LIKES of DrumSpillage, as in a drum voice that is TIGHT and PUNCHY. I'm not arguing platforms like a pansy.
I've never tried DrumSpillage, given that I'm on Windows. Still, I completely disagree with your assessment that PunchBox can't make a decent kick. I'm not going to bother running down the feature list, but it offers a whole array of tools with which to craft just about any flavor of kick, even ones which PUNCH. But I agree that not every plugin is going to be right for everyone, and I'm glad that you've found one which works well for your needs. :)
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

i never said it can't make a decent kick. I said it's not a one-stop kick plugin, and ironically it doesn't seem to be adept at making a fecking PUNCHY kick. Unless all you desire is another sample style kick sound that you can blend with something genuinely punchy.
and yes dtossnoff,with all your eloquent language and splendiferous sentence structure, you have jumped into fanboy mode, without listening to what i'm actually saying. Twirling doilies of keyboard warrior pansyness as you skip through your flower garden of misunderstanding.
It's not an argument for arguments sake, it's an observation. As a long time D16 customer, and a lover of the 808 and 909 hardware drum machine, I do like their drum plugins, but they generally do require a fair bit of external processing. This PunchBOX with its many effect modules is no different, and I am to wonder why. If you're going to the trouble of making a non-emulation style plugin that focuses on a kick drum, then I simply feel, why not make it versatile? There's already a myriad of kick drum plugins and floppy sounding sample style plugins, why not throw some tightness in there?

sqigls- if it isn't too inconvenient, any chance you could post a sample of a really punchy kick made with the tool of your choice? I'm genuinely curious, and I'd like to see if I can get similar results out of PunchBox. It sounded pretty great to my ears, and I'm just wondering what I'm missing.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

sqigls wrote:and yes dtossnoff,with all your eloquent language and splendiferous sentence structure, you have jumped into fanboy mode, without listening to what i'm actually saying. Twirling doilies of keyboard warrior pansyness as you skip through your flower garden of misunderstanding.
:clap: :clown: :tu:

Seriously tho. "Keyboard warrior?" You mean THIS? The naked irony.

"Fanboy mode" how? You didn't even ask what I thought of it. I own it. So far, I think it's phenomenally okay to pretty decently good. How fanboy is that? It's a tool that does a particular set of things very well. I've been using and loving Softube's Heartbeat a bunch. At the moment, I'd say I like Heartbeat better. When I need something else, it will likely be something more like Punchbox, because what they do tonally seems completely different to me. That's how we use tools, yes? It isn't all that upsetting. I understand your point. I also understand it's more like a highly subjective observation. What would you like done about it?

I'll be curious to see if you take up deastman's request. Could be productive for all of us. Far more so than puerile insults, I imagine.

I also do wonder, after reading your ping-pong about PUNCH, what you guys (especially squigls) mean by punch. PB slaps into my face pretty punchy.

I'd say, that you don't like the sound of PunchBOX, which is fine. But I think you're wrong, when you say it doesn't punch.

Maybe you should explain PUNCH better, what it means to you and why it is lacking in PB.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Yup, I'm pretty puzzled about squigls claims too... But I'm interested in hearing his punchy 'you can't do it in PunchBox' kick example.

deastman wrote:sqigls- if it isn't too inconvenient, any chance you could post a sample of a really punchy kick made with the tool of your choice? I'm genuinely curious, and I'd like to see if I can get similar results out of PunchBox. It sounded pretty great to my ears, and I'm just wondering what I'm missing.
+1 ! :party:

Really curious too.

Thanks in advance.
my website: https://samiyounes.com
Latest releases: Attraction for Omnisphere 2 | Magma for Omnisphere 2 | Time for Soundtoys EchoBoy

"and yes dtossnoff,with all your eloquent language and splendiferous sentence structure, you have jumped into fanboy mode, without listening to what i'm actually saying. Twirling doilies of keyboard warrior pansyness as you skip through your flower garden of misunderstanding."

:D

stardustmedia wrote: Maybe you should explain PUNCHY better, what it means to you

Love this thing. All the presets are great places to start, but of course, you usually have to make minor adjustments to fit in the mix. Love the preset browser too. Also, key tracking to be ON so I can pitch my kicks using my DAW's piano roll. So much fun. Can make rumbly boomy 808 kicks, punchy 909 kicks, muddy kicks, dubby kicks, sharp kicks... so much you can make with it. Must try demo! :party:

GMusic wrote:Can make rumbly boomy 808 kicks, punchy 909 kicks, muddy kicks, dubby kicks, sharp kicks... so much you can make with it. Must try demo! :party:
According to sqigls "punchy" is not possible :hihi:
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Return to “Instruments”