Guides: Batch tag Omnisphere/Trilian patches & customize patch images (PC/Windows)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRian
796 posts since 26 May, 2009 from Area 51

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:35 am

2020 Update:

OmniTag has been released. Save yourself time and headaches caused by manual batch tagging. Easily conform unusual 3rd party library tags to the standard Spectrasonics tag library within seconds using OmniTag!

OmniTag site: https://chromaticwave.net/pages/about-omnitag

OmniTag KVR topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=544251

For other custom tagging and image needs, continue to this guide:

Batch tag guide is described first. The image guide follows after. Please remember to have a backup of your patches and prt_omn files in a folder outside of your Spectrasonics folders before performing these processes. Changes/updates in grepWin and/or Omnisphere/Trilian may cause an adverse effect (or have no effect) on your patches when performing these patch edits. I will try to keep this guide updated, however, this guide is no guarantee of success. Use at your own risk.

Batch tagging guide:
How to edit patch tags in batches without having to edit them one at a time within Omnisphere/Trilian. This is intended to batch tag 3rd party patches, not default factory patches.

1. Download and install grepWin -----> https://sourceforge.net/projects/grepwin/

2. In Windows explorer, open the patch directory containing the patches you want to edit. You can narrow the focus down to one patch bank/folder if your edits only apply to one bank. For example:
C:\Program Files\Spectrasonics\STEAM\Omnisphere\Settings Library\Patches
or more specifically
C:\Program Files\Spectrasonics\STEAM\Omnisphere\Settings Library\Patches\AwesomeGuy Bank

3. Open grepWin. In the top most 'search in' box of grepWin, locate the folder where your target patches are located. For example:
C:\Program Files\Spectrasonics\STEAM\Omnisphere\Settings Library\Patches\AwesomeGuy Bank

4. In the 'search' and 'limit search' sections, I have the following checked off: Regex search, Search Case-sensitive, All sizes, Include subfolders.

5. In the 'Search for' and 'replace with' box, what you enter depends on what you want to accomplish. You can replace, add, or remove tags as shown in the next steps.
Important: be sure to include all semicolons and quotation marks as shown in the examples.

5A. To replace a tag that already exists:

Example #1 To change the author of the patches in my folder from GMusic to MasterOfSpace:
'search for' box: Author=GMusic;
'replace with' box: Author=MasterOfSpace;

Example #2 To change Type from "Aggressive Synth" to "Wicked Synth":
'search for' box: Type=Aggressive Synth;
'replace with' box: Type=Wicked Synth;

Or...

5B. To add an attribute type or tag that doesn't already exist:

Example #1 To add an attribute called "Bank" and have my targeted patches tagged with "Planetary Sounds":
'search for' box: ATTRIB_VALUE_DATA="
'replace with' box: ATTRIB_VALUE_DATA="Bank=Planetary Sounds;

Example #2 To add an additional genre tag to a specific folder of presets: Let's add "Electro Funk"
'search for' box: ATTRIB_VALUE_DATA="
'replace with' box: ATTRIB_VALUE_DATA="Genre=Electro Funk;

or...

5C. To delete a tag that already exists:

Example:
'search for' box: Type=UselessTag;
'replace with' box:
(Yes, leave the replace box blank.)

6. Click 'search' and see if you've targeted the correct patches as shown in the "Search results" box. Look at the path column of the results and see which patch banks are affected. Delete the "prt_omn" file in each affected patch bank's folder through windows explorer. The file contains tagging information for each bank's patches. If you do not delete this file, your changes will not save correctly. This prt_omn file will regenerate with your new correct tags when you complete the last step of this guide.

7. Click 'replace'. Click 'yes' to the backup warning if a window pops up. (You should have already made your backups before beginning this process!)

8. In Omnisphere/Trilian, click the refresh button at the bottom of the patch browser, or reload the plugin.

Notes:

- If you want to batch edit only certain patches within the grepWin search results, you should move them into a new temporary folder. Then direct grepWin to 'search in' that temporary folder. After editing those patches, simply move them back to their original locations in your patch directory, and then delete the now empty temporary folder.

- If you want to edit attributes other than author, type, or genre (which were exemplified in this guide), open Omnisphere and Trilian patches with Notepad. There, you will find lots of text, which contains attributes and tags. Use Ctrl + F to find keywords, determine how the tag is written in the file, and use it in the above steps to make the changes or additions you want. For example: "Pattern" "Complexity" and many more can be modified with grepWin.

- Thank you to whyterabbyt for suggesting the grepWin program.

Custom Patch Image Guide:
How to take any image and apply it to all user patches in a given folder. This is perfect for patch creators who want their logo on their patches!

1. Find an image, then use a program (e.g. Pixlr.com) to resize it to 300x300 pixels. Save it as a JPEG file with the name "default" (without " ") into the Windows folder that contains the patches you want the image applied to. For example:
C:\Program Files\Spectrasonics\STEAM\Omnisphere\Settings Library\Patches\User\GMusic Bank

2. Resize the image to 125x125 pixels. Save it as a JPEG file with the name "default_thumb" (without " ") into the same folder as step 1.

If you want to apply specific images to specific patches within the same folder, you simply do the above steps but instead of "default" as the image file name, use the name of the actual patch. For example: BaddBass.jpg and BaddBass_thumb.jpg

- Thank you bmrzycki for the details on how to apply images to individual patches! http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=290709
Last edited by GMusic on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:08 am, edited 57 times in total.

KVRAF
1754 posts since 4 Sep, 2011 from England

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:14 pm

click Edit Tags
Click Author
+ Assignaments / click the pluss symbol
type the new name
Select the name now in the list.

For doing a huge loaad of them in one go I don't know.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:57 pm

Kaboom75 wrote:click Edit Tags
Click Author
+ Assignaments / click the pluss symbol
type the new name
Select the name now in the list.

For doing a huge loaad of them in one go I don't know.
Yes, I want to know how to do a bunch of them at once.

KVRist
187 posts since 4 Jul, 2012

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:12 pm

Spectrasonics has one of the best support teams around. They will advise you as to what is the best that can be done in Omnisphere. You should contact them.

Spectrasonics also recommends using the Northern Sounds forum when seeking other user assistance. Eric Persing posts there.

KVRAF
1890 posts since 23 Dec, 2003

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 pm

NS is pretty much dead

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:40 am

Dr.Wu wrote:NS is pretty much dead
Since you're pretty well experienced with Spectrasonics...and you didn't offer a solution to my question, then I'm pretty confident there is no way a user can batch tag patches.

I bet Eric Persing has his own program that does this...unless he really did tag thousands of patches one at a time.
:shock:

KVRAF
32446 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:44 am

If it's user banknames you want to change you can just edit the folders they are in. Tags can't be edited en masse but once you add a tag you can select it from the list after that so less typing at least.

KVRAF
1890 posts since 23 Dec, 2003

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:50 am

GMusic wrote:
Dr.Wu wrote:NS is pretty much dead
Since you're pretty well experienced with Spectrasonics...and you didn't offer a solution to my question, then I'm pretty confident there is no way a user can batch tag patches.

I bet Eric Persing has his own program that does this...unless he really did tag thousands of patches one at a time.
:shock:
Frankly speaking-although i totally see the benefits of the tagging system i always have been too lazy to really dig into it.
AFAIK there is no way to tag more than one item at a time. Maybe some supersmart dude could figure out how to do it in some sort of text editor but i wouldnt know because i aint that smart.
The only "tags" i ever add myself are the favorite stars.........

:oops:

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:00 pm

Yes I need some type of text editor. But it would be tricky still I think.

The author, genre, ect.. tags and parameter values are located in the patch files. You can open them with wordpad. You can add more tags in there by simply adding, for example... "Bank=BestSounds;" right after "Author=Gmusic;" and when you refresh and open omnisphere, you'll see that Bank is a new tagging category and Bestsounds will be its tag. AWESOME.

Now..how do do this with multiple files using an editor? Would be tough.

I hope Eric reads this and maybe implements a batch tag system of sorts.

KVRist

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:28 pm

Is this a licensed copy of Omnisphere? Seems the most sensible thing to do is to approach Spectrasonics rather than hope Persing reads this thread. Have you tried that?

Generally speaking, it amazes me how people will prattle on and on speculating and waiting for some anonymous user to provide an answer yet there is no indication that they have contacted the developer. I see it everywhere. It appears that some people just like talking about their questions ("how much interest is there in my question?") rather than finding solutions.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:02 pm

o0Ampy0o wrote:Is this a licensed copy of Omnisphere? Seems the most sensible thing to do is to approach Spectrasonics rather than hope Persing reads this thread. Have you tried that?

Generally speaking, it amazes me how people will prattle on and on speculating and waiting for some anonymous user to provide an answer yet there is no indication that they have contacted the developer. I see it everywhere. It appears that some people just like talking about their questions ("how much interest is there in my question?") rather than finding solutions.

Dr.Wu knows is very knowledgeable about Spectrasonics. He's contributed to Omnisphere several times. And he happens to post here often.

Do you know that Eric (Spectrum) visits this forum? He probably posts here more than he does at Northernsounds and maybe even the Spectrasonics Yahoo Group.

So tell me why you're questioning the legitimacy of my license and why you're essentially criticizing that I'm posting my question here? Granted, you did say "generally speaking" but I'm under the impression that you're still referencing this thread. How do you know that I'm not just waiting on a response from Spectrasonics?

I appreciate your suggestion but relax. Who cares why people post? Don't like it? Don't read it. It's just a forum. Life exists elsewhere. :wink:

KVRAF
4119 posts since 11 Aug, 2006 from Austin, TX

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Omnisphere and Trilian make extensive use of XML. The entire saved preset is clean (non-binary) XML.

The XML Tag you're looking for is "SYNTHENG". Within the definition of this tag you'll find the "ATTRIB_VALUE_DATA" field. This is a colon-separated list of name=value tags. At least that's the data for an Omnisphere preset (not multi) .prt_omn preset.

An example line:

Code: Select all

<SYNTHENG  Vers="1"  ...  name="Default"  ATTRIB_VALUE_DATA="Type=Analog Bells;Pattern=Rhythmic;Genre=Experimental;Genre=Film;Genre=High Energy;Complexity=Level 3 - High;Author=Huston Singletary;size=0;" >
The good news is the Author is just a special name=value pair here.

A little patience with an XML library and you could make a program to edit/update an entire list of presets with whatever tags you'd like.

Good luck.

KVRian
1289 posts since 8 Jan, 2003 from Edinburgh

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Now..how do do this with multiple files using an editor? Would be tough.
You'd need to write a script - maybe powershell or vb - to run through a list of files and add the text, or edit text that's there.

I'm not a programmer but it *should* be doable. You'd have to be *real* careful while writing the script though, as you'd easily screw up all your presets with one click :)

EDIT - I see bmrzycki beat me to it ;-)
John Braner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

KVRist

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:28 pm

GMusic wrote::wink:
You are missing the point. The question remains: Have you contacted Spectrasonics directly regarding this topic? The rest of your post only lends itself to the behavior I described as you are stressing all of the indirect routes to information. Good luck with that.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:57 am

o0Ampy0o wrote:
GMusic wrote::wink:
You are missing the point. The question remains: Have you contacted Spectrasonics directly regarding this topic? The rest of your post only lends itself to the behavior I described as you are stressing all of the indirect routes to information. Good luck with that.
Thanks but you're missing my point as well.

There's no reason to question my license legitimacy. By doing so, you're suggesting I may be using an illegal copy of Omnisphere... Just because I'm posting my questions here instead of (what you think) not contacting Spectrasonics directly? :roll:

Ampy if you would like to continue this conversation, PM me (To be truthful, I have zero interest in it). Otherwise, don't take this thread off course more than it is already.

Thank you to bmrzycki, jbraner and others for providing information.

Return to “Instruments”