Recording novice needs advice and help

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings.

I play guitar and have recently downloaded Tracktion software in order to record myself playing for youtube videos.

I play a Telecaster with GK3 divided pickups connected to a boss gp10 processor which is connected to my macbook air via usb.

On the Tracktion settings page the output and input is set to pick up the GP10, and the input 1 and 2 channels [separate channels] are enabled along with an 'output 1 and 2' channel.

I play solo fingerstyle arrangements so only need one track to record. I have track 1 set to input 1. The 'track destination' is set to 'output 1 and 2'.

The problem I'm having is that the recordings sound much lower in volume than any other songs i've downloaded online. Adjusting the volume to max on my guitar, processor, and tracktion hasn't made a difference. Whether the gp10 processor is connected to an amp or headphones has also not made a difference.

I'm a total beginner with all this sort of thing so any advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks

At the bottom of the screen is a "gain" control; and while you have selected that input, you should be able to see the level across the bottom. Play with the gain until you peak at -3 or so. You probably should not really have to crank everything up to full ...
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Thanks for the tip. I did reply to you before but for some reason I can't see my comment displayed. Perhaps because I clicked on 'quick reply' rather than 'post reply.'

I've located a control called 'input gain' as you advised. It allows me to type in a specific number.

When you say peak at minus 3 do you mean that the loudest I pluck a note should be no higher than minus 3? What would be bad about going above that? Distortion perhaps?

Thanks again?

Thanks for the tip. I did reply to you before but for some reason I can't see my comment displayed. Perhaps because I clicked on 'quick reply' rather than 'post reply.'

I've located a control called 'input gain' as you advised. It allows me to type in a specific number.

When you say peak at minus 3 do you mean that the loudest I pluck a note should be no higher than minus 3? What would be bad about going above that? Distortion perhaps?

Thanks again!

Digital recording is different than analog. With a tape recorder, you could often go "hot" and exceed the theoretical max level of 0 for a better Signal-to-noise ratio; and the tape saturation during that overload "wasn't unpleasant".

Digital, on the other hand, doesn't introduce further noise into the mix once recorded; although being too low (i.e. -20 or -30) will highly limit the quality of the recording, as you aren't taking advantage of the full "number of bits". Unfortunately, the other end of the scale introduces the worst effect of all, which is digital clipping, where once you reach maximum, you can't go higher - so no saturation, just bad sounding overdrive.

So, your best bet is to try for peaks of -3 or -6 during setup; realizing that hitting a chord or getting more emphasis from time to time will push you into the 0 or even minor clipping zone above that. And if your recording happens to be limited to -12, then it can easily be boosted a little to fit into the mix, with no loss of quality.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Here's what I see
--> quote: "Whether the gp10 processor is connected to an amp or headphones has also not made a difference."

It looks like that should be the starting place.
The 'gain chain' begins at the guitar pickup(s). {lots to google and read about gain structure}
1 - Turn the guitar's 'string sensitivity' values per owner's manual page 3.
2 - Turn on the BIG input VU meter in tracktion as this feature is way more accurate than the tiny ones.
3 - Arm the track's input to record.
(If you are 'listening' to yourself via Tracktion's output there will be latency)
4 - Set GP-10 output by watching the Big VU meter in Tracktion. You NEVER want to see red.

There's enough band width in digital recording that setting the VU to never see above -10 would be a starting place for recording imho.
You can then turn up T's output, after you lay down a recording, to suit your ears input.
Hoozda Band

Return to “Tracktion”