Native USB audio 2.0 support for Windows 10!

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know if anyone noticed, but some days ago in Windows 10 Insider Preview Microsoft announced native USB Audio support for 2.0 devices.

I hope I'm not reading this wrong, but basically (as I understood) it means support for audio interfaces out of the box, without the need of the third party driver. In some cases this isn't maybe a better solution, but Mac has had CoreAudio for a really long time now and finally Windows gets something like that as well.

What I've been reading at forums, the advantages of this maybe be in that Microsoft knows better how to use their own OS for audio and can take advantages of improvements that they made latency-wise for Windows 10.

I don't know how this translates to reality when it's available for public, but I think this is very cool news - especially if it means more stable audio. I would imagine that if the OS creator makes an audio driver, they know what an audio driver requires from the OS and this would mean better and more stable performance.
Native support for USB Audio 2.0: We now have native support for USB Audio 2.0 devices with an inbox class driver! This is an early version of the driver that does not have all features enabled, for e.g.: only playback (render) is supported with this version. Recording (capture) support is scheduled to arrive in later iterations. We encourage you to play with the driver and let us know what you think (using the Feedback app). If you already have third party drivers for your USB Audio 2.0 device installed, follow instructions in this blog post to switch to using the inbox class driver.
Read more at https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... r1jizKC.99
Composer, animator, video producer and web designer
http://www.juhanalehtiniemi.com

That's really interesting- I wonder if we will then be able to aggregate devices, that is the one thing I really want for windows, for all USB devices with audio I/O to show up at the same time in my DAW with no switching!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Bitwig”