Are you using Bitwig's reverb instead of 3rd party reverbs?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nope don't use any bigwig fx at all. i personally find there r so many better 3rd party options. just my opinion of course.

I do like Bitwig's reverb, it does have its own sound, it creates really nice possibilities for sound design? but I absolutely adore Valhalla reverbs (Vintageverb and Room), they are incredibly clean and smooth and the nicest reverbs I've ever had.

Altiverb is really nice for real room and space simulation, again, it sounds yet different than the first two, but a) it requires iLok and b) one instance introduces 22ms of latency in Bitwig so that's not cool. It does sound really good though. But I still think Valhalla beats it when you want something really clean and also the ease of changing the reverb parameters (like dialing your reverb from 2s to 100s is) is so cool! Valhalla also modulates the reverbs really nicely. Simply put - they just sound really good.
Composer, animator, video producer and web designer
http://www.juhanalehtiniemi.com

I use Bitwig reverb quite a bit. Of the reverbs I use, it responds to modulating the size and diffusion parameters better than others. It's also the only reverb I have which allows me to place other effects inside the diffusion tank.

Many of Bitwig's effects are deceptively simple and don't really come into their own until you add some modulation or build a more complex effect chain.

The Dynamics effect is actually one of my favorites. I rarely use third-party compressors anymore. Claes and I had a conversation a few years ago about the how the detector/envelope follower plays a huge role in the sound of a compressor and how much you can change it's response simply by overdriving, delaying or EQing the signal going to the detector. For that reason, he didn't just provide a sidechain input, he added an FX chain for the side chain. Where many compressors only let you EQ the sidechain, you can put any effect you want inline with the detector for Dynamics. Try putting the frequency shifter in there or Blur.

I have a bunch of effects patches and templates which I'd like to contribute to the Library but they need to be cleaned up a bit.
Last edited by justin3am on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

This piece is pretty abstract but I only used the built in effects and two instances of Sampler here...
https://soundcloud.com/justin3am/dwindle

Sweet! Well done Justin!!

I don't use the Bitwig reverb as a straight forward reverb... but for FX, it is excellent cause of the ways you can nest stuff and modulate things. Bitwig is great for that!

So far I haven't been very happy with BWS reverb -- it's actually the only native BWS effect device that I have negative feelings about. It often sounds metallic to me, which is a deal breaker. But I'm going to try to spend more time with it and see what I can get. Meanwhile I use great 3rd party plugs -- aether, RC-24 (when I went crispy retro verb), arts acoustic, valhalla plate.

If I'm gonna complain about a native Bitwig device, it's the distortion. The distortion is just too basic for me. It's just not very versatile for my specific situations I guess.

mholloway wrote:So far I haven't been very happy with BWS reverb -- it's actually the only native BWS effect device that I have negative feelings about. It often sounds metallic to me, which is a deal breaker. But I'm going to try to spend more time with it and see what I can get. Meanwhile I use great 3rd party plugs -- aether, RC-24 (when I went crispy retro verb), arts acoustic, valhalla plate.

The Bitwig reverb by itself is not very appealing as a standard reverb. However, if you like drones, and space/etheric sounds, you can do some beautiful evolving sounds with it and various devices in the tank.

This is just the Bitwig Reverb... with some nested devices and some LFO modulation. One soft note of any synth to get it started, then it plays endlessly.

http://draigathar.org/sounds/geneverb.mp3

he Dynamics effect is actually one of my favorites. I rarely use third-party compressors anymore.
This too. I have virtually every compressor anyone could ever need to call upon, hardware or software and keep returning to bitwigs Dynamics and even the smaller "compressor" time after time. The CPU to Quality ratio is just brilliant, credit to the programmers.

couple of recent production/mixes here:

https://audiofreaks.box.com/s/fljbe1ary ... 2864egx86y

https://audiofreaks.box.com/s/rd28g044l ... r7dt6bkh8x

https://audiofreaks.box.com/s/0rqm95i7p ... y90av3aajh

Best
Dale

For me the bitwig reverb is really lofi. I only use it if i want a lofi sound. Could not go without 3rdparty reverb.

justin3am wrote:This piece is pretty abstract but I only used the built in effects and two instances of Sampler here...
https://soundcloud.com/justin3am/dwindle
Although I don't really like Bitwigs reverb much, this proves you don't need great reverb to make cool sounds! I noticed it was called granular something or other, but sampler doesn't have granular functions. Was this using the granular rack someone posted recently?

You can do granular stuff with Sampler. I'm just using very small loops and moving the loop points around.
Check out the Pseudo Granular 1 patch in the factory library. If you want grain clouds, you'd need more than one instance of sampler but it can be done.

I guess I think of Bitwig's effects and instruments as building blocks, and indeed when I use third-party effects I use them the same way. I think the reverb is good enough to use on it's owb but when you start using it together with other effects and modulation, it can take on a totally different character.

I think it only takes a few moments to step away from what each effect does on it's own, to see what they can do together. Just try putting a blur and a chorus in the Tank FX of the reverb and then an EQ in the Wet FX. Try putting a distortion on each band of a Multiband FX rack and then follow it with an EQ. Try putting a Resonator Bank or Frequency Shifter in the feedback path of a delay. I think there is still a lot to discover in Bitwig.

Sorry, i had to remove some posts and HamHat from the Bitwig forum after he repeatedly insulted other users.
Please keep in mind to express your opinion without insulting and attacking others, this is a matter that is not debatable and gets you blocked without further discussion.

Thanks for your understanding,
Dom

As for the reverb, I also find it is not so good, sounding harsh and metallic, even when used as a send. This might depend on the style of music you are doing. Since I use a fair amount of acoustic guitars, I tend to prefer a more natural sounding reverb. Such as the free Protoverb from u-he.

This said, all final mixes are not done in Bitwig. They are done in Harrison's Mixbus 32C. For the hours and hours spent in Bitwig sketching and arranging ideas, I use a mix of Bitwig plugins and 3rd party. The advantage in this kind of use is that the 3rd party plugins can be used in the DAW, meaning that any sound tweaks done in Bitwig can at least be taken as they are in the DAW to start with.

I tend to see the Bitwig audio processors as nice utilities to have, allowing a quick workflow within the Bitwig product, but not as full-fledged top grade audio processors that could competition with the best out there. At least not in the current Bitwig versions. And it makes sense IMHO. How much time and money can you spend between the main application development and the side utilities whose goal at this time is to round up the main offering ?

Maybe if they mature well enough, will there be stand-alone versions of the Bitwig audio processors for use in any DAW ?

justin3am wrote:You can do granular stuff with Sampler. I'm just using very small loops and moving the loop points around.
Check out the Pseudo Granular 1 patch in the factory library. If you want grain clouds, you'd need more than one instance of sampler but it can be done.
I can't find the pseudo granular patch. Do you know what pack it's in? I thought I had the factory instruments library installed.

Return to “Bitwig”