Choice of folder for projects

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

An update should include the capability to indicate a default folder for projects. This is so basic. Not everyone stores stuff in their home directories, for various reasons.

If it's not possible at all, remembering the folder that was last opened would be useful. Just went through opening approx. 20 projects and each time Bitwig defaulted to the home directory, so had to click so many times to get to the right folder. Multiply by 20.

IMHO, it would be useful to allow users to set which default folder contains their projects.

Cheers.
Last edited by mevla on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

+1

If you like to save versions too, you have to navigate to the project folder every single time. There was 1 update way back that actually started in the current project folder whenever you did things (opening/saving/bouncing) and I was overjoyed. I even thanked them for it (v1.3.8):

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... r#p6391475

Then it was gone in the following update. I think it was "fixed" by accident or something (it wasn't in the release notes). :(

+1

agree, I like to save my projects inside the Google Drive folder

+1

+ 1

+1
RME Babyface Pro / Bitwig / Adam A7X / Elektron AR MKII / Novation Peak / Akai Force / Eurorack

Wrote the team about it in July. They acknowledged the bug and asked for some patience. It's so basic and they had it implemented before.

Thanks for the feedback. It is so basic. The user would specify a valid path, be it on Mac, Windows, Linux, so there should be no problem at all. If the path is not found, then it is not found. Nothing complicated. And it's all user related, user projects, nothing to do with the Bitwig software itself.

https://sepix.net/

DJ and Music Maker. Unconventional Electronic Music. Braindance. Breakcore.

I presume that for linux you always could have a symlink where the project directory is linked at directory choiced by you?

Probably Windows and osx can do the same.
Just a little workaround for another project path.

Yes, a symlink works, although it's not exactly the same as having support in the software itself for a default directory setting. If only because if it has to be changed then the file system, the symlink has to be modified. I know, not so much of a problem, but still. It's easy to manage that on Linux from a console prompt, I don't know about the easiness with Windows and Mac in terms of number of clicks to get that done or modified.

It's interesting is that the support for a default directory was in there, as reported in this thread, and then 'taken out'.

+1

Return to “Bitwig”