Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

giorgiomartini wrote:So what do you think now? 3, 6 months ? 6 more years?
I shouldn't speculate ;-)

But I can't wait for years.

I feel that people are giving pressure for Urs about Zebra 3

Has the fact of knowing that Z3 is coming, made some people think Z2 is not good anymore ?

Sometimes I get this impression.

Forget about Z3, I want D2!!!!!! :hihi:

Elektronisch wrote:I feel that people are giving pressure for Urs about Zebra 3
My only concern is that the patches will be incompatible with Zebra 3. Wish they'd be able to change that.

masterhiggins wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:I feel that people are giving pressure for Urs about Zebra 3
My only concern is that the patches will be incompatible with Zebra 3. Wish they'd be able to change that.
That would be wonderful if Z3 could load Z2 presets. +1 for that feature for sure! :tu:

Making it backwards compatible kind of defeats the purpose - which is an upgrade of all underlying technologies to improve the sound and user experience.

Instead, we'll keep Zebra2 up to date and compatible with new operating systems and formats. Like Synapse Audio do with Dune and Dune2, we will keep Zebra2 and The Dark Zebra available in our shop and we'll probably offer a Z 2+3+TDZ bundle deal. Not sure yet.

This thread btw. came about because people thought Z3 was around the corner, so they held off buying Zebra2. The purpose of this thread is to say "nope, it isn't exactly around the corner, and you're also better off buying Zebra2 beforehand". Of course back then I didn't think it would be more than one year to get started, and maybe two years to final.

People thought Z3 was around the corner because I had developed a habit of responding to certain feature requests by saying "in Zebra3 maybe". Which was meant to be tongue in cheek, but it kind of stuck...

Urs wrote:
giorgiomartini wrote:So what do you think now? 3, 6 months ? 6 more years?
I shouldn't speculate ;-)

But I can't wait for years.
So does this mean we'll maybe see Z3 in 2017?

I understand there's no way to specifically speculate, but it seems that Z3 has slowly been rising to the "top" of the list as other things have been accomplished/fixed/released..

ONe thing is really wish for is please for god's sake , don't make zebra 3 a powerhungry photorealistic gpu muncher .
Some people like that , others don't ...a barebones minimal ( vector ) gui as an alternative would be so welcome , (max msp , like )
And it would be a good opportunity for the gui designer to show off his design skills , we all know by now he can handle the photorealistic design part .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote:ONe thing is really wish for is please for god's sake , don't make zebra 3 a powerhungry photorealistic gpu muncher .
Some people like that , others don't ...a barebones minimal ( vector ) gui as an alternative would be so welcome , (max msp , like )
And it would be a good opportunity for the gui designer to show off his design skills , we all know by now he can handle the photorealistic design part .
I just spent the past few days aggressively optimising UI drawing. There are a few new glitches now on Windows (occasional hair line borders, depending on UI size), but according to the profiling software the CPU consumption has been reduced to 25% of what's currently out there from us. Which was always okay for turning knobs and stuff, but some people had problems dragging windows, or generally a laggy feel. I hope that's gonna be over soon. Once we get this tested and confirmed to work, I'll work on those glitches.

With that we might not need to go GPU.

(I always thought the blur effect of our oscilloscopes was the culprit for laggy drawing, but actually it was rendering certain waveforms vertically instead of horizontally and a stupid line segement ordering bug. Add to that, we used native drawing on Mac which was 3 times slower than our own path renderer. Our new renderer is ten times faster than Apple's native solution on intricate oscilloscope paths).

- U

Urs wrote:
gentleclockdivider wrote:ONe thing is really wish for is please for god's sake , don't make zebra 3 a powerhungry photorealistic gpu muncher .
I just spent the past few days aggressively optimising UI drawing. There are a few new glitches now on Windows (occasional hair line borders, depending on UI size), but according to the profiling software the CPU consumption has been reduced to 25% of what's currently out there from us. Which was always okay for turning knobs and stuff, but some people had problems dragging windows, or generally a laggy feel. I hope that's gonna be over soon. Once we get this tested and confirmed to work, I'll work on those glitches.

With that we might not need to go GPU.

(I always thought the blur effect of our oscilloscopes was the culprit for laggy drawing, but actually it was rendering certain waveforms vertically instead of horizontally and a stupid line segement ordering bug. Add to that, we used native drawing on Mac which was 3 times slower than our own path renderer. Our new renderer is ten times faster than Apple's native solution on intricate oscilloscope paths).

- U
Very good to read you're optimizing the "slow" UI's on Windows. Although it isn't something that urgent (for me anyway), it is always nice to have a smooth as possible experience! :tu:

Well, it's been bugging me a lot that some people have experienced a less smooth operation on Windows. Now we have upgraded our development environment and I have a snappy machine for that. My work on Repro is done, so why not make things fast enough for the things to come (Z2.8 & Z3)...

I have a request. Could somebody at u-he take a photo of Urs coding 'aggressively'? I want to see what that looks like. Of course while he is not looking, and post it here. Thanks.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

spunkmuffin wrote:I have a request. Could somebody at u-he take a photo of Urs coding 'aggressively'? I want to see what that looks like. Of course while he is not looking, and post it here. Thanks.
h2p://www.uheleaks.z3
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Urs wrote:I just spent the past few days aggressively optimising UI drawing. There are a few new glitches now on Windows (occasional hair line borders, depending on UI size), but according to the profiling software the CPU consumption has been reduced to 25% of what's currently out there from us. Which was always okay for turning knobs and stuff, but some people had problems dragging windows, or generally a laggy feel. I hope that's gonna be over soon. Once we get this tested and confirmed to work, I'll work on those glitches.
Improved UI rendering AND preset browsing both happening around the same time? Nice! :tu:

The little stuff like that might not be sexy, but it's important. Hopefully, common parameter names (where they're currently not) is next up on the agenda. Do that and then you'd have a really good bit of maintenance that could apply to the entire U-he product line and serve as a good foundation for D2 and Z3.

Return to “u-he”