Questions About AutoTonic Player

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AutoTonic - Modal MIDI Transposer AutoTonic Player

Will there be a VST plugin version?

If there will be a VST plugin version, will it be able to alter the track's existing midi notes. For example, let's say Beethoven's Song Of Joy is what is the melody that is currently on track 1 in my DAW, could I just press a button using your plugin (if there will be one) to change Song Of Joy to another key and/or scale?

The other "scale changer" VST plugins that I am aware of only changes midi notes that are coming from the midi keyboard and not the already existing notes or melody in the midi track.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Hi.
There is no proprietary plugin format planned since AutoTonic already provides maximum compatibility the way it is done. What would you like to have a VST plugin version for – what do you think would be the benefits?

You can re-route/reprocess existing MIDI with AutoTonic, of course, but be careful there are natural limitations here since e.g.: 1) various modes work differently, 2) 'modal transposing' (with its varying counts of intervals per octave etc,) can not be directly altered logically and 3) AutoTonic's black keys will function as key switches instead of note generating-keys.

So you can not simply convert a content from eg, xoxoxxoxoxox (Ionian) into xooxxooxoxoo (Major Pentatonic #2) since it will completely mess up everything your initial harmonic content was all about. You can do it for fun, sure, but as said above then also all notes on black keys will 'wildly' start switching AutoTonic's Headers.

Yes I would like a VST plugin version of AutoTonic because it would seem to be a faster way to make music to have that in a DAW. As it is, with the stand alone AutoTonic, there are extra steps and sync problems if the sound output is being done by way of the "virtual midi cable" method just to match what a VST plugin version would do.

I would like to hear how the track that is being changed by AutoTonic is sounding along with the rest of the other tracks in a DAW. And having AutoTonic inside a DAW is the best way to do that, as far as I know.

Also, yes I would use AutoTonic in ways that might not conform to harmonic rules. The way I use tools is "insert that plugin here and see what it does and if it sounds good then keep the result". I just know a little bit of basic music theory and I, most of the time, suspect that I am not completely putting the ways of music theory to correct use and I am okay with that.

There are no benefits for making AutoTonic a proprietary plugin. It may only result in limited compatibility and potential audio buffer related latency, depending on the architecture a DAW uses. In most cases you don't monitor your audio trough audio plugins as well, right? And once AutoTonic is set up you don't have to care anymore about wether it is a plugin or not anyways.
Believe me, I'm using AutoTonic since years (on a daily basis) and it works the best the way it is provided. Its a new technology and you might should give it a try – the way it is – yourself … just today someone wrote a review who collaborated with artists like Jordan Rudess, Billy Joel and Aaron carter etc, you can read his review here: https://ask.audio/articles/review-autot ... osing-tool
Thanks.

I tried AutoTonic on the first day that it was available for download. It works fine with Midi Yoke and the Reaper 0.99 DAW. I tested it by selecting the different built-in scales while playing only the white keys via my midi keyboard. AutoTonic does what it is supposed to do, very well too. I was eventually going to make a video but I see you already have made one and I couldn't have done a better job.

I was trying to do what another tool is supposed to do using AutoTonic and AutoTonic seems to be the wrong tool. As stated before, the tool I was looking for is a tool that changes "existing" midi notes to different scales and keys. I could be wrong but I don't think AutoTonic could be used for that. And if it's possible to do that with AutoTonic then I don't know how. Is there a manual that I can download because I can't seem to find the offline manual.

If it wasn't possible to do that then I apologize. I tend to believe that it's possible to take tools that wasn't designed for another purpose to be able to achieve that purpose with a workaround. I keep thinking that advanced Reaper users have a way or configuration for AutoTonic to take an existing midi track and route that to AutoTonic and have it change the midi notes and deposit the changed notes to another different midi track in the DAW. I think I once saw a tutorial like that.

AutoTonic, generally speaking, is a realtime processor. So whatever notes you send in, will be either directly/modally transposed or seen as keyswitch actions, its not meant to edit notes on your piano roll. Its purpose lies much more in 'being a new instrument' by redefining the way how the piano's layout has worked since the last 400 years of music history.
Sure, you can use it for other creative mixing-purposes as 'reharmonizing content' or 'retracking raw MIDI recordings', (and afterwards add changes to it) and that's up to the user how complex it might get with all that MIDI capabilities, but the nature of this software has much more to do with a complete new 'linear' (white keys only) playing approach than with anything else you might have had on your screen before – and it is for actual composing/producing/playing/etc. (however someone might want to call that process) …

AutoTonic Player – Quick Start Guide: http://downloads.autotonic.net/manual/A ... Manual.pdf
AutoTonic (Subscription/Full Version) Manual: http://downloads.autotonic.net/manual/A ... Manual.pdf

Wowee!!! I got it working for the purpose that I wanted it to. I am in the process of making a video. I sort of remembered a tutorial from a while back and I winged it and now I can use AutoTonic with Reaper. Be back in maybe 30 minutes to an hour.

Okay, so, the video that I made is near the bottom of this page: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=474972&p=6645826#p6645826

The main purpose of the video is just to show that it could work with Reaper 0.99 as if it's a VST plugin. It's not a tutorial.

Yes, I fully understand what you're up too. You want to reprocess existing scores, like remastering with EQ's and Compressor plugins etc, but as said before this can not be 'standardized' really since music structure's nature (in mathematical terms I mean) is interfering here. I use a similar method sometimes, recording also the 'Raw MIDI' – so the MIDI signals AutoTonic sees – and modify or reprocess that later from scratch, as explained in my video "Non-Destructive MIDI Workflow" on YouTube here, but for simply reprocessing any existing piece of music I still see difficulties. It might work when only transposing up or down a few semitones or Major-ing/Minor-ing etc, by altering a few notes like seen here.
So it can somehow be done by a little engineering, as you've discovered yourself, but AutoTonic is meant to be more of a post-processor to your realtime MIDI keyboard's playing. Anyways, just tried it myself too a bit, you can watch it – without any warranties – here:

Tschaikowski's 'The Nutcracker' messed up with AutoTonic Player

I dig this plugin! I use loopMIDI http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html to connect AutoTonic to Ableton. I play guitar well but not so much the keys, so this helps with scales and chords.

Windows 8.1 x64
Ableton 9.7
Novation Launchkey

There will be an AutoTonic CM version, shipping at end January.

How does that compare to the DC16 Player version, more or less features?

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”