Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

The incorrect envelope shape prevented me from using OBXD for the famous high resonance sound in "1984" by Van Halen.
But i guess it is not that important if you want to just play the synth and not replicate some old song made with OB-Xa. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

OP-X Pro II has the same core audio engine as the original OP-X, just with extended parameters.

The OP-X audio engine is 10 years old and still holds up well today.
http://www.kvraudio.com/news/sonicproje ... _op_x_5418
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

RexXx wrote:
darix wrote: ...
I tried to copy the skin i like under Documenti\OB-Xd, Documenti\DiscoDSP\OB-Xd (as suggested into the readme file), and also into Documenti\DiscoDSP. I tried copying only the main.pnf or copying the entire subfolder - or both. No success.
darix
copy the skin you want with folder to:
"Documenti\discoDSP\OB-Xd\Skins"
for example:
"Documenti\discoDSP\OB-Xd\Skins\discoDSP Classic"
I did exactly what you suggest. No success. :(
Wouldn't be a good idea to have a button on the interface that allows to select the skin?

Are you sure you're not missing the discoDSP part of the path? The prior version didn't require it.

Old version:

C:\Users\[User Name]\Documents\OB-Xd\Skins

New version:

C:\Users\[User Name]\Documents\discoDSP\OB-Xd\Skins

This is on Windows 10 at least.

I own a Matrix-6R and have had an Xpander also.. OB-Xd sounds good to me, it doesn't matter it's not precisely the same, it's close, that's enough.
< nobody cares what you use >

quantize wrote:I own a Matrix-6R and have had an Xpander also.. OB-Xd sounds good to me, it doesn't matter it's not precisely the same, it's close, that's enough.
:clap: :tu:
/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

darix wrote:
I did exactly what you suggest. No success. :(
Wouldn't be a good idea to have a button on the interface that allows to select the skin?
If you install it the right way, rightclicking on the GUI gives you exactly that 8)
obxdSkinSelect.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ha Ha !

For me a software emulation will never be the exact reproduction of the original hardware, as hard as could be the work.

We must do with tolerances in our behaviors as long as we love the sound we get and as soon as we are very close to what we would have got with the original hardware.

It leads me to a perfectly logical conclusion : as soon as one wants a 100% emulation of a hardware instrument (even more when that original hardware was based on a great part of analog electronic components around their digital chips) the best way is therefore evident: you must therefore buy and use the hardware itself ! Because software emulations will never reach the perfection in the emulation of vintage analog hardwares. They simply can't ! And without telling about the flaws which were inevitable in the original hardwares (from the heat of the synth, the drift of the values of the components with their age or with their conditions of use, etc. leading to small different behavior of each copy after a few years, resulting in small differences) but although these flaws were wonderful characteristics taking a full part (if not the major) in the personality of that hardware synth.

Since the mid 90's my Korg Polysix bought in 1984 doesn't sound exactly as the one of a friend bought the same year (and protected as mine... like we take care of a beloved woman). The same for my CZ-101 bought in 1996. The same for my Farfisa Syntorchestra bought in second hand in 1979 when I was in a French regional band. The same for my Technics KN-440 bought in 1992. When the age comes, the drift is more and more present in the components so of course in the sound too, and it makes each instrument absolutely unique while being always a true original copy of the instrument. Simply... it has its (I would even say "her") life which is different that the same model ("her sister") bought by another musician.

Conclusion : a software emulation will never be perfect. Even after years and years of work.

And I must add another very important point : OB-XD is a freeware, not a payware, there hasn't been any investment in R&D... and also it has been made by ONE man alone :clap: and in priority for his own pleasure, with the admirable will to share it with other lovers of "Oberheim type" synts.

So, simply... enjoy the result !
:phones:
Last edited by BlackWinny on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:35 am, edited 6 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Yes of course a Software emulation will never be as bad as the original hardware. It will always be better. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Agree completely, I buy a lot of software but I'm always drawn to companies who see the benefit in supporting an inexpensive/free project which is clearly a labour of love and quality.

Hardware quirks are part of their charm, but it's delusional to think OB-XD playing the right part in the right mix would be much less effective than any particular Oberheim hardware equivalent.

It is clearly very close tonally, and therefore exceptional for freeware. Bravo discoDSP.
< nobody cares what you use >

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Are you sure you're not missing the discoDSP part of the path? The prior version didn't require it.
(...)
Positive!

quantize wrote:Agree completely, I buy a lot of software but I'm always drawn to companies who see the benefit in supporting an inexpensive/free project which is clearly a labour of love and quality.

Hardware quirks are part of their charm, but it's delusional to think OB-XD playing the right part in the right mix would be much less effective than any particular Oberheim hardware equivalent.

It is clearly very close tonally, and therefore exceptional for freeware. Bravo discoDSP.
What quantize said! Can't be said too often. Thank you, discoDSP!

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Yeager wrote: (...)
If you install it the right way, rightclicking on the GUI gives you exactly that 8)
(...)
Uhm... was that so easy? When I go home tonite I am gonna try, though i am not sure it works, because i believe that the VST host (Cantabile) intercepts the right click event...

darix wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Are you sure you're not missing the discoDSP part of the path? The prior version didn't require it.
(...)
Positive!
Are you sure you're under "my documents"?
That is not meant to be a condescending answer - but some people move their documents folder to different places.
You can RH click on "Documents" in explorer - then Properties -> then the "Location" tab.
Maybe your documents is set to a different place?
Otherwise there must be a type somewhere...
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

darix wrote:
(...)
Positive!
This is a blind shot, but nevertheless, you mat try it, since everything else failed. I understood from past posts that you are in an italian version of the OS, therefore, your directory isn't called "Documents" but "Documenti".

Please try to create ANOTHER folder in the same tree level, called "Documents", so that the path will look like this: C:\Users\[User Name]\Documents\discoDSP\OB-Xd\Skins (NOTICE "Documents" and not "Documenti").

Maybe OB-Xd is looking in an absolute patch, an not in a path relative to the local language.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”