Bitwig running in it's own xsession ( Linux Desktop environment )

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys, I have uploaded a video ( taken on my phone camera ) showing that it is possible to run Bitwig in it's own xsession, reducing a lot of overhead of unneeded processes . There are a few bugs as I demonstrate in my video ( I am ranting a bit and seem slightly confused at times ).
Just thought I would put it out there to get some feedback and hopefully a few pointers on how to fix a few of the issues that I am getting. Forgot to also mention that there is no way of dragging VST around either, but all knobs etc seem to work so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlnxgCpybtA

Nice idea. You're running with jackd as well?

Thank you for sharing this.
But your voiceover...

Could you please write down a small howto make this? It can`t be a rocket science change the desktop environment.
[del]AudioLinux sucks.[/del]

@Excds yes it is running with the jack backend, I had a quick look by logging into another tty and it seems jack-dbus is running and ALSA doesn't want to load saying something about the resource being busy ( must look into that )
@Lump yes I realised i was mumbling a bit and my northern Irish accent may not be the easiest to make out at the best of times. Yes I will create a how to and perhaps add it into the " tips and tricks " section.
I'm thinking that maybe because Bitwig ships a lot of it's own libs for runtime, that I might have to include these in an EXPORT statement or maybe even adding some XDG_CONFIG_DIRS environment to my system to iron out the menu bug and possibly more.

Tried is also in the past. I'm logging in via commandline and put 'exec bitwig' in my .xinitrc file in my homedirectory. Works without any problems, but because there's no windowmanager running it's not possible to manage Windows. Only open and close vst's via the 'show' button in bitwig.

I'm using fluxbox, it almost doesn't require much of resources.

Fluxbox seems interesting and very lightweight indeed, can it be installed to its own partition so that I can still have Ubuntu etc? Yes I noticed that the vst windows have no manager, even 'alt'-drag has no effect. That's why I was thinking that the XDG system could maybe work somehow to incorporate some menus within the shell. There has to be a workaround for these bugs somehow.

Fluxbox is a window manager, not a Linux distribution. It's very basic but does run stable. Just do apt-get install fluxbox.

Normally when gdm or another grahpical login system is used, fluxbox Will be listed as An option.

Ah thanks @cajmere , I will install it and have a play around with it.

Return to “Bitwig”