VST3?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can't use fxtractor as it's Windows only but this won't work in most DAWS that can load both VST3 and 2 (eg S1) as if you load the VST3 it only allows saving vstpresets and if you load VST2 it only saves fxp/b. These are the native preset formats for the plugin and Bitwig should be supporting them from the start. It still doesn't fully support VST2 plugins and they are adding another format in the same half assed manner.

I can confirm opx proII works in beta2.

@aMUSEd

I agree completely... It seems to me all they should need to do is define the
file type. The browser uses a querry language that simply lacks any definition for
the .vstpreset files, seems that way anyway. At least to get it working for the most part.

pekbro wrote:There is a work-around if you're ambitious enough. Bitwig 2 will pass .fxp files to a VST 3 plugin.
So... you can translate .vstpreset files to .fxp and load them in bitwig.

If you're lucky you can do it with fxtractor which unfortunately is not so reliable.
Another solution is to translate them with Tracktion if you happen to have it.
That's the only DAW I've found that can even write .fxp format. Unfortunately it cant
read VST 3 presets either, but you can use the VST 2.4 plugin to export the fxp files.

Anyway, definitely a pain, but it does work. Bitwig is unique in that it can pass the fxp files
to VST 3 afaik....
Ok this doesn't work, it was swapping the VST 2 without initially updating the UI... :(

pekbro wrote:@aMUSEd

I agree completely... It seems to me all they should need to do is define the
file type. The browser uses a querry language that simply lacks any definition for
the .vstpreset files, seems that way anyway. At least to get it working for the most part.
It now looks like there is more to it than just not recognising vstpresets - it isn't even recognising u-he presets for VST3 versions of their plugins, a filetype it should be able to read. So I guess what has happened is that Bitwig just haven't implemented any sort of support for presets for VST3 plugins yet (similar to the situation in Tracktion 7 where VST3 has no defined preset filetype). Hopefully they will sort this out as they are useless without it.

Yeah the tracktion thing is some kind of issue with JUCE iirc. Wonder if it's the same with Bitwig.

Of course you think they would have fixed that by now. Especially considering Jules is the main author of JUCE. *shrugs.

Yeah it's ridiculous, it's like these companies seem to think adding support for a plugin format is a done deal if you can just load it, but not taking into account the fact that if you actually want to use it in most cases that means also being able to load and save presets.

What are the advantages of VST3 vs VST2?

Supposedly some performance advantages and such. Read about it here: https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/te ... /vst3.html

For me the main thing is just there are some plugins on my system that don't have VST2 versions (mainly Steinberg and Cakewalk products)

Fixed in Beta 4, nice.... :tu:

Return to “Bitwig”