What is the best Linux distro for Bitwig and audio production?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Regardless of distro, this perl script (realtimeconfigquickscan) is useful for checking your system config (it just inspects the config and makes suggestions, it doesn't change anything):

https://github.com/raboof/realtimeconfigquickscan

I use Archlinux since the beginning!

I'm trying to get a Linux system going on my PC. So far Ubuntu 14.04 seems stable, though my M-Audio Delta 2496 card doesnt work. I'm new to Linux and seems kind of difficult to make things work. I don't know how to install JACK. Is Linux for people who have a programmer background? I guess I could go back to my Windows 7 system that works nice, but I really want to install Bitwig on Linux for the fun of it..

I use vanilla Ubuntu with Alsa, must of the time, even on the onboard I can do everything at low latencys and when I record my guitar using ME-25 I have no problems at all, and my Novation controller are flawless too.

To install Jack just search for it in the Software Center, no need to have a developer background, I dont have and my mom certainly dont :P .

Philotomy wrote:Regardless of distro, this perl script (realtimeconfigquickscan) is useful for checking your system config (it just inspects the config and makes suggestions, it doesn't change anything):

https://github.com/raboof/realtimeconfigquickscan
Thank you so much for sharing this. What really makes this useful, is that it points you to appropriate sections of the Linux audio system configuration wiki when it finds something that could be changed for better performance. This is great.
...If you have to fix it with a computer: quantized, pitch corrected, and overly inspected, then you can't do it, and I can't get behind that!
-Henry Rollins; I Can't Get Behind That-from William Shatner's, "Has Been"

Anyone managed to get a Windows VST bridge working with Bitwig 2? I was able to compile Airwave on Fedora 25 just fine, but bitwig will scan the VST directory endlessly while any plugin initializes and does nothing.

maitake wrote:Anyone managed to get a Windows VST bridge working with Bitwig 2? I was able to compile Airwave on Fedora 25 just fine, but bitwig will scan the VST directory endlessly while any plugin initializes and does nothing.
Carla works fine here [with the usual caveats]

Hrm.. I can't seem to load any VST at all on Fedora 25. Anyone have any insight into why? During re-index Bitwig 2 will perpetually scan and none ever show up. Before, I thought it was just Airwave or Wine messing up with Windows VSTs, but DiscoveryPro is doing the exact same thing. Doesn't seem to be a resolution in the DiscoveryPro thread.

Missing a library maybe? BW2 runs great otherwise, and haven't had any issues besides this.

Terminal output during loading:

Code: Select all

Could not register Jython interpretter: org.python.jsr223.PyScriptEngineFactory
Could not register JRuby interpretter: org.jruby.embed.jsr223.JRubyEngineFactory
Error reading metadata for file DiscoveryPro.so:com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Could not read VST plug-in metadata
64 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 255

32 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 143
Connection broken with client: null
java.io.EOFException
	at com.bitwig.ramona.serial.rRi.VqH(SourceFile:261)
	at com.bitwig.ramona.serial.rRi.z1a(SourceFile:411)
	at cVg.vkG(SourceFile:796)
	at cVg.Vfp(SourceFile:618)
	at cVg.Vfp(SourceFile:599)
	at com.bitwig.ramona.protocol.AP.Vfp(SourceFile:86)
	at cWd.VGT(SourceFile:383)
	at cWe.run(SourceFile:271)
Error reading metadata for file DiscoveryPro.so:com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Could not read VST plug-in metadata
64 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 255

32 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 143

Just wanted to mention that all of the new MOTU interfaces are class compliant -- the mixer control is made available by a server running on the audio interface. This is huge news for Linux audio, but I haven't read much mention of it.

I probably won't be upgrading my audio interface for a while yet, but it is nice to know that there are some more or less pro interfaces that should work on Linux.

A much cheaper option is the Behringer UMC-1880.

johnnyboy5000 wrote:I'm trying to get a Linux system going on my PC. So far Ubuntu 14.04 seems stable, though my M-Audio Delta 2496 card doesnt work. I'm new to Linux and seems kind of difficult to make things work. I don't know how to install JACK. Is Linux for people who have a programmer background? I guess I could go back to my Windows 7 system that works nice, but I really want to install Bitwig on Linux for the fun of it..
Hi, I also use a 24/96, your card has specific mixers available, that are muted by default,
envy24control, or mudita24, one will be in any ubuntu repository.
Find the Analog Volume tab, and raise the levels.

Your card uses a kernel module snd_ice1712 for it's 'driver'. Run the command lsmod
(geek shorthand for 'list modules' ) and your system kernel modules will be listed,
part of which will resemble this below, a portion of my listing:

ac97_bus 16384 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm 106496 8 snd_ice1712,snd_ac97_codec,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_core
snd_seq_midi 16384 0
snd_seq_midi_event 16384 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_rawmidi 32768 2 snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 69632 11 snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_device 16384 3 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_midi
snd_timer 32768 3 snd_hrtimer,snd_pcm,snd_seq
gpio_ich 16384 0
intel_rapl 20480 0
snd 81920 33 snd_ice1712,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_ac97_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_i2c,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_ak4xxx_adda,snd_hda_intel,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_device,snd_cs8427

If snd_ice1712 is nowhere in your list, run a command as root user, in ubuntu,
use sudo modprobe snd_ice1712
The command will load that kernel module.

The modules are listed with the other modules they may interact with.
Use the tutorial at the next link to guide your next steps, connecting hardware and software.

http://libremusicproduction.com/article ... arted-jack

Also search youtube for qjackctl, zynaddsubfx, rakarrack, hydrogen, there will be lot's of walkthrough videos that often start with qjackctl connections, just what you'll need.
Your card will soon work easily, and with high quality results. There's also

www.linuxmusicians.com

with a couple dozen forum headings to query.
Cheers

glokraw wrote:
johnnyboy5000 wrote:I'm trying to get a Linux system going on my PC. So far Ubuntu 14.04 seems stable, though my M-Audio Delta 2496 card doesnt work. I'm new to Linux and seems kind of difficult to make things work. I don't know how to install JACK. Is Linux for people who have a programmer background? I guess I could go back to my Windows 7 system that works nice, but I really want to install Bitwig on Linux for the fun of it..
Hi, I also use a 24/96, your card has specific mixers available, that are muted by default,
envy24control, or mudita24, one will be in any ubuntu repository.
Find the Analog Volume tab, and raise the levels.

Your card uses a kernel module snd_ice1712 for it's 'driver'. Run the command lsmod
(geek shorthand for 'list modules' ) and your system kernel modules will be listed,
part of which will resemble this below, a portion of my listing:

ac97_bus 16384 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm 106496 8 snd_ice1712,snd_ac97_codec,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_core
snd_seq_midi 16384 0
snd_seq_midi_event 16384 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_rawmidi 32768 2 snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 69632 11 snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_device 16384 3 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_midi
snd_timer 32768 3 snd_hrtimer,snd_pcm,snd_seq
gpio_ich 16384 0
intel_rapl 20480 0
snd 81920 33 snd_ice1712,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_ac97_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_i2c,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_ak4xxx_adda,snd_hda_intel,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_device,snd_cs8427

If snd_ice1712 is nowhere in your list, run a command as root user, in ubuntu,
use sudo modprobe snd_ice1712
The command will load that kernel module.

The modules are listed with the other modules they may interact with.
Use the tutorial at the next link to guide your next steps, connecting hardware and software.

http://libremusicproduction.com/article ... arted-jack

Also search youtube for qjackctl, zynaddsubfx, rakarrack, hydrogen, there will be lot's of walkthrough videos that often start with qjackctl connections, just what you'll need.
Your card will soon work easily, and with high quality results. There's also

http://www.linuxmusicians.com

with a couple dozen forum headings to query.
Cheers
Thanks for that info. Installed many different distros, but settled on Linux Lite 3.4. I stumbled upon Envy24 and Mudita24 and decided to use Mudita24. I was having errors with JACK and found this page: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1637399 and specifically the post from Pablo

Wait a bit, it is MUCH easier if you just do:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -p high jackd2

The last "2" is important. Then choose yes, you want to lock down memory and have rtprio scheduling privilege. This will add those lines automatically.

Now, you have to make sure you are in the audio group, so do a:

sudo adduser mao audio

supposing that mao is your user name.

Now, you have to reboot.

Now, check that you have said privileges:

ulimit -r -l

Cheers! Pablo

Bitwig runs really smooth. Looking forward to discovering more!

Hi, new here, nice to find this post.

I've been using Kxstudio for 3 years and I can't take it anymore, I am always having some kind of conflict, be it with hardware, like midi controllrers, or even my Android phone!, to some issues using windows software on Wine, etc.

I want to be able to concentrate on work and not in researching solutions for these issues, and less of all getting to code. I even have some issues sometimes with Jack.

If at least Kxstudio had gotten an upgrade, but we're still on 14.04.... :(

Hi hucasys, I think standard practice these days with KXStudio is to run a vanilla Ubuntu and use their repositories as an addon.

They don't ship their own distro anymore a stock Ubuntu is quite adequate. I am using 17.04 myself, but be aware of some things like U-HE plugins broken in anything newer than 16.04 I think.

I'm very curious about people using Fedora, since Bitwig only comes as a .deb. I mean, there are ways to unpack a deb on Fedora but it's a hassle, especially given how rapidly new versions of Bitwig come out.

agrover wrote:I'm very curious about people using Fedora, since Bitwig only comes as a .deb. I mean, there are ways to unpack a deb on Fedora but it's a hassle, especially given how rapidly new versions of Bitwig come out.
I've seen at least one script floating around for this purpose. I thought I saw it posted here?

I use Debian, so I can't confirm myself.

Try https://www.linuxmusicians.com/ forum if a search of this forum doesn't help.

Return to “Bitwig”