Mac OSX Sierra Crashes with Bitwig 2.0

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know if anyone has this problem or has come across what it might be

Iam running Bitwig 2.0 on a late 2015 i7 iMac 27 with Mac OS Sierra. Normally the computer is rock solid.

However, if I open Bitwig after about 30-45 mins (sometimes longer) the whole computer crashes and reboots itself. Bitwig was opened with the blank template i.e. no plugins used. Without Bitwig running everything keeps running along all day. I don't get the same problem with Live open (or any other program)

If I run Push 2 with the Push2 script the process happens in about 10-15mins of use.

I have a Motu Ultralite Hybrid MkIII with the new Sierra compatible drivers from Motus site. It runs perfectly with Mac OS Sierra.

If you have comes across this or have an idea what to try and tip would be most appreciated. At the moment its not usable as everything is lost each time it seemingly random crashes.

My suggestion is reinstall your OS from scratch by making a USB installer. That is what I would do.

That sounds more like a device / hardware conflict. Do you have any hardware devices plugged in when you run Bitwig? Have you tried running with nothing plugged in?

I'm running Sierra (w/ no devices plugged in) and it's been stable.

I run a 15' i7 MBPR with push 1 UAD apollo I/O an a m-audo axiom 25 an a behringer deepmind 12, an apple wireless mouse an keyboard. I'm not having the issues your having i'm running 10.12 as well in fact the beta, i cant simulate the issue your having either but one you thing you can do in activity monitor(AM) if your a bit tech savy it when bitwig is open in AM highlight bitwig by clicking on it. then chick on the gear above and hit sample process and if you can get it to crash while doing this might take a few times in the text that it puts out you should be able to see what has failed or just isn't right. but this also might not work if thats the case pick up a external drive do a back up I use carbon copy cloner. i would advise not to use apple time machine it's failed me in the past you can also drag an drop important files to the drive instead and reinstall OSX from a flash drive an recover the files from the drive.

Good luck I hope it all works out.

try disconnection the audio interface and running Bitwig and see if the same problem happens.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the advice.

I really thought I had checked starting with the Motu off and didn't have much luck. However, so far with using internal audio only Bitwig is running fine (1 hour+).

I have the latest drivers from Motu but perhaps I should install again or wait until the next point version of Mac OS and / or the Bitwig 2.1 update. Any other ideas much appreciated.

That's good—and bad. I had a bad Firewire device in the past and it would reliably kernel panic my Mac.

You can maybe read up on the MOTU and see if others are having an issues. You didn't have any issues until a recent update?

Yes this seems to have been a problem after update to Sierra. I also had this problem in the past where I basically had to buy a new audio interface (this current Motu) when apple release a new Mac OS.

The hopeful aspect of this is that it only seems to be a problem with Bigwig 2 so maybe 2.1 will fix it.

For me it seems to be an Apple problem. Always a new Mac Os which delivers almost nothing featurewise but breaks a lot of the core function. Must make developers lives frustrating.

If anyone has similar issue would be great to know

I use bitwig 2 during 5-6 hours and nothibg crash ! (Under Osx Sierra).I have seen in Sierra it is not possible to repair permission , maybe you should download a maintenance tool (ONYX I believe , it s free) and perform a permission repair...

I use ONYX to repair permissions all the time so I think its not this but I'll try it again.

I'am starting to think that it must be some strange interaction between the new Sierra drivers for the Motu audio interface and Bitwig.

I might be out of luck to find someone with the same combination of DAW/OS/Audio card to see if anyone else has the same problem.

I have an issue in Bitwig 2 where I've saved a project and it won't let me play it after I re-open the project, Bitwig 2 is completely unresponsive.
In settings, audio, I selected the built in mac audio instead of UA apollo twin mk2 and it plays back fine...
I'm happy other people are having this issue so that Bitwig can fix this.

simmo75 wrote:I have an issue in Bitwig 2 where I've saved a project and it won't let me play it after I re-open the project, Bitwig 2 is completely unresponsive.
In settings, audio, I selected the built in mac audio instead of UA apollo twin mk2 and it plays back fine...
Did you submit the problem to tech support?

brownerthanu wrote:
simmo75 wrote:I have an issue in Bitwig 2 where I've saved a project and it won't let me play it after I re-open the project, Bitwig 2 is completely unresponsive.
Did you submit the problem to tech support?
Yes i did, weeks ago.

:D

Hi simmo75, did you get a answer from Bitwig?

I have the same problem. I have Macbook Pro i7, 16GB RAM, 2016 and on EL capitan Bitwig works fine, but after update to sierra I can't produce music anymore. Bitwig crashes all the time and the sound rip and breake like on 100$ tablet. Like you said Bitwig is 100% unresponsive. What a crap...

The problem is also on my Komplete Audio 6 interface and on the built in mac audio.

I have also an old DELL Laptop (2012) where the same project works fine!

however ableton on sierra works fine...

The DAW starting to piss me off

Return to “Bitwig”