Evolution Flatpick 6 fret and body noises

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In Flatpick 6, MIDI notes C6 through C#7 are color coded yellow and produce various sounds of (I think) the guitar frets, string squeaks and body. My question is, where are these functions documented? Can they be reassigned to different places on the keyboard?

Related question: in the Kontakt interface, cyan keys are notes on the guitar fretboard and magenta keys are keyswitches -- both latching and non-latching. What is the generic term for the functions on yellow keys?

Some user manuals for sample libraries include a color-coded picture of a piano keyboard showing the default locations of all of the keyswitches, etc. I think that's really helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by rrichard63 on Mon May 08, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rrichard63 wrote:What is the generic term for the functions on yellow keys?
There's no generic term. Developers are free to use whatever color is available for whatever function they see fit.

Enable the info pane in Kontakt (press F9 in Kontakt standalone) and when hovering above the virtual keyboard you will see the names of hits assigned to those yellow keys.

EvilDragon wrote: ... Enable the info pane in Kontakt (press F9 in Kontakt standalone) and when hovering above the virtual keyboard you will see the names of hits assigned to those yellow keys.
Thank you! I didn't know about the info pane.

Since posting my question, I've decided that the distinction in Flatpick 6 between yellow and magenta is probably this. Magenta is for keyswitches that can be added and removed. Yellow is for keyswitches that are always there even though some of them (strum down and strum up) can be relocated.

I think that another helpful use for color coding would be to distinguish between latching and non-latching keyswitches.

The red keys are keyswitches (latching and non-latching), and the yellow ones are for non-playing-range keys that produce a sound: performance effects, strum keys / repeat keys. Finally, the strumming pattern keys are green.

With NKS-ready libraries like Evolution Flatpick 6, the key colors are subject to Native Instruments specifications for color coding keys. That's why all the keyswitches are red as per their specification, rather than using separate colors to denote latching/non-latching keys, etc.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Gregjazz wrote:The red keys are keyswitches (latching and non-latching), and the yellow ones are for non-playing-range keys that produce a sound: performance effects, strum keys / repeat keys. Finally, the strumming pattern keys are green. ...
Thanks! That makes sense now that you've said it. My dull mind probably wouldn't have gotten there on its own.

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”