Audio performance question?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote:
sisarii wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Mister karloff wrote:Why is there not an uproar about this?
Because many people are not having the problem?
Literally everyone I know does and I do too on 3 different speccd and different OS machines.
Also Mac? or only PC?

I'm using a MBP. I used to have CPU spikes regularly, but that was quite a while ago now.
I own an i7 16gb ram MBP, a Xeon 2687 and a 6900k machine. Same problems in all of them. When the projects get slighlty crowded the audio engine craps out and the GUI lags to death.

Try hitting play when it craps out and while its all pops and static hide the gui and just show your desktop se if that makes a difference.

Have send an e-mail to their support?

I am mostly working with a 256 buffer but sometimes i use 128 for smaller projects.

In Mixing phase with more plugins going im up to 512.

I gotta say that most times i am just recording and mixing. But i have been using the same settings on larger projects (40-80 tracks) without problems.

System is: Xeon 1230 @ 3.3ghz, 24GB RAM, SSD Drive, GTX 960

Uh yeah i am on Linux.

Cheers

sisarii wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
sisarii wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Mister karloff wrote:Why is there not an uproar about this?
Because many people are not having the problem?
Literally everyone I know does and I do too on 3 different speccd and different OS machines.
Also Mac? or only PC?

I'm using a MBP. I used to have CPU spikes regularly, but that was quite a while ago now.
I own an i7 16gb ram MBP, a Xeon 2687 and a 6900k machine. Same problems in all of them. When the projects get slighlty crowded the audio engine craps out and the GUI lags to death.
The GUI lag is the worst part in my case, even without a loaded CPU.... it remembers me trying to play new games with an old computer...

I work with a 128 buffer 6ms and don't have a problem (PC, Win 64 bit) no better or worse than any other I have tried (although the new S1 3 update with the VST track being in very low latency mode and playback being at a bigger buffer seems like a good idea!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:I work with a 128 buffer 6ms and don't have a problem (PC, Win 64 bit) no better or worse than any other I have tried (although the new S1 3 update with the VST track being in very low latency mode and playback being at a bigger buffer seems like a good idea!)
Do you mainly work with Bitwig devices only, or do you use lots of plugins?

I'm finding Bitwig devices only is great, low CPU etc. It's just plugins I have a problem with.

While doing some screen grabs (to potentially help BW devs) of plugins running, Windows CPU, Bitwig Performance etc. I noticed my CPU clock speed changing all the time.

So, rather than it being a set 4GHz (or 3.96), it was as low as 2GHz and jumping around. Looking into this further I realised my so called 'Overclocked' setting from the retailer (in Advanced Power Settings) allowed a Minimum Processor state when plugged in of 5%. :dog:

Switching this to 100% smoothed out much of the choppiness in Bitwig DSP performance graph.

Just thought it might be something worth checking.

Having said that, I'm still getting the occasional 1 frame 100% spike from a bed of 20%

arrakeen wrote:While doing some screen grabs (to potentially help BW devs) of plugins running, Windows CPU, Bitwig Performance etc. I noticed my CPU clock speed changing all the time.

So, rather than it being a set 4GHz (or 3.96), it was as low as 2GHz and jumping around. Looking into this further I realised my so called 'Overclocked' setting from the retailer (in Advanced Power Settings) allowed a Minimum Processor state when plugged in of 5%. :dog:

Switching this to 100% smoothed out much of the choppiness in Bitwig DSP performance graph.

Just thought it might be something worth checking.

Having said that, I'm still getting the occasional 1 frame 100% spike from a bed of 20%
Awesome, this fixed my issue as well. Thank you for sharing.

Return to “Bitwig”