No audio when playing back MIDI tracks for strumming in Sonar

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got in on the group buy sale and am loving these new guitars. I finally have time this weekend to sit down and play but I've run into a problem. I'm still getting used to Sonar and this is my first attempt at using a Kontakt instrument.

I've setup a set of tracks in Sonar to MIDI and Audio for Kontakt. Then I selected the Steel Strings. I can get the strumming to playback in the audio track "live" by selecting a chord and holding down the strum key. It sounds great.

I used the piano roll editor to "record" the chord and long held strumming notes for a single measure. During playback, I can see the MIDI notes fire in the MIDI track but nothing happens in the audio track. I'm missing something but I can't seem to figure it out. It seems like such a simple thing that's doggone frustrating.

Any suggestions?

I resolved my issue but it was by accident and revealed a possible bug in OTS Evolution Steel Strings.

The Strum settings identify the key(s) for strumming incorrectly. The UI shows C0 as the first strumming key by default. This is actually C2!!! I only noticed because I had set the strum to be C1 to be close to the other notes (I was using a 2 octave keyboard for playing), and I had to drag my entire block of notes up two octaves to get the proper playback!

Is this a known issue? Seems like a big goof that could get people turned off on an otherwise great product.

DanBailiff wrote:I resolved my issue but it was by accident and revealed a possible bug in OTS Evolution Steel Strings.

The Strum settings identify the key(s) for strumming incorrectly. The UI shows C0 as the first strumming key by default. This is actually C2!!! I only noticed because I had set the strum to be C1 to be close to the other notes (I was using a 2 octave keyboard for playing), and I had to drag my entire block of notes up two octaves to get the proper playback!

Is this a known issue? Seems like a big goof that could get people turned off on an otherwise great product.
It's because there's no standard naming convention for notes between manufacturers, not Orange Tree's fault. Some start at C-2, others at C0, but they're the same notes. Can be a right bugger!

Holy smokes that is awful. Is there a way to set the middle C mapping either in Kontakt player or Sonar so that they match or is it just something you live with?

I found a way to set the Base Octave for Sonar.

Preferences > Customization > Display > Base Octave for pitches = -2

DanBailiff wrote:I found a way to set the Base Octave for Sonar.

Preferences > Customization > Display > Base Octave for pitches = -2
Nice one. I mostly use FL which uses C0 so for a lot of things I always need to move notes up. I seem to remember that when the MIDI standard was formulated, this was something they gave leeway on - hence the differing naming. Grrr!

I used to refer to middle C as C4 (makes sense from a piano perspective, it's the fourth C from the lowest note on the piano). Kontakt refers to middle C as C3, so I switched over to avoid constant confusion. I'm a Sonar user, so when I saw C5 set as default for middle C, you can bet that's the first setting I changed. :P
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”