Plugins and hiDPI on Windows 10

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote:
xx JPRacer xx wrote:The only option would be that Microsoft add an option to turn off scaling on .dll (like they do with .exe). The DAW only load the .dll, the scaling is done by the OS.
Are you sure? Why aren't they scaled up in Studio One or Live 9, then?
Because the plugin (dll) is loaded in the same process space as the DAW, thus "inherits" the scaling from the host (Windows does not do any scaling for hiDPI aware applications).

Ok, after testing Bitwig 2 (I'm still on Bitwig 1) there seem to be something wrong with the way that version handle scaling.

antic604, try running the program in Windows 8 compatibility mode (+ the usual "override high dpi..." setting). That did the trick for me but yes, you're right, the way version 2 is behaving is kind of strange/broken.

xx JPRacer xx wrote:Ok, after testing Bitwig 2 (I'm still on Bitwig 1) there seem to be something wrong with the way that version handle scaling.

antic604, try running the program in Windows 8 compatibility mode (+ the usual "override high dpi..." setting). That did the trick for me but yes, you're right, the way version 2 is behaving is kind of strange/broken.
Doesn't this only work if all your plugins are hidpi?

In Bitwig 1 (and other DAWs) when you override the hidpi setting of the .exe there's no scaling done by the OS on the DAW and plugins you load. In Bitwig 2 the OS don't upscale the DAW but still upscale the plugins you load.

I'm using the latest non-beta version of Windows (Windows 10 fall creator update), this could be a problem with that version. I could be wrong but I think it was working correctly when I tried it a couple months ago with a previous version.

edit: But by setting the compatibility mode to Windows 8 it's working correctly.

xx JPRacer xx wrote:In Bitwig 1 (and other DAWs) when you override the hidpi setting of the .exe there's no scaling done by the OS on the DAW and plugins you load. In Bitwig 2 the OS don't upscale the DAW but still upscale the plugins you load.

I'm using the latest non-beta version of Windows (Windows 10 fall creator update), this could be a problem with that version. I could be wrong but I think it was working correctly when I tried it a couple months ago with a previous version.

edit: But by setting the compatibility mode to Windows 8 it's working correctly.
Yes, that's my point. Omnisphere 2 doesn't have hidpi support so if I did this, wouldn't Omni look tiny while the hidpi supported plugins look good? Studio One is unusable for me because of this.

I have bought some DAWs and did a very brief comparion regarding how the DAW displays the VSTs. I am using Windows 10 and a 34" 4K LG Monitor

Bitwig 4 seems not well present the visual of the VSTs (Blur). I got the same result as of the OP that means Studioone 5.4 did a good job on displaying the VSTs. I am not sure if the policy of this sub-forum can mention other DAWs or not. But most of my DAWs displays quite well in this regard.

cowby wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:35 amBitwig 4 seems not well present the visual of the VSTs (Blur). I got the same result as of the OP that means Studioone 5.4 did a good job on displaying the VSTs. I am not sure if the policy of this sub-forum can mention other DAWs or not. But most of my DAWs displays quite well in this regard.
Open, the side browser, find the plugin you have problem with, right-click on it and there's an option to disable scaling. After that load the plugin again and you will be able to now use its internal scaling, which should preserve sharpness.

It's pretty stupid that Bitwig BY DEFAULT has this option enabled and you have to do it one by one for every plugin that causes problems... Studio One has it off by default and you enable this only if plugin doesn't scale by itself and is too small. But Bitwig devs have been ignoring my mails about this default, or at least about letting us change that from Settings.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:29 am
cowby wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:35 amBitwig 4 seems not well present the visual of the VSTs (Blur). I got the same result as of the OP that means Studioone 5.4 did a good job on displaying the VSTs. I am not sure if the policy of this sub-forum can mention other DAWs or not. But most of my DAWs displays quite well in this regard.
Open, the side browser, find the plugin you have problem with, right-click on it and there's an option to disable scaling. After that load the plugin again and you will be able to now use its internal scaling, which should preserve sharpness.

It's pretty stupid that Bitwig BY DEFAULT has this option enabled and you have to do it one by one for every plugin that causes problems... Studio One has it off by default and you enable this only if plugin doesn't scale by itself and is too small. But Bitwig devs have been ignoring my mails about this default, or at least about letting us change that from Settings.
Thanks Antic604 for your tips. I think I need to first turn on :
settings -> plug-ins -> Plugin-in Interface scaling (turn it on) before I can see an option "Stretch plug-in window to match dpi....". I tested Reason 12 (as a plugin) & U-HE's products and they worked fine but NI like MassiveX, Replica-XT have strange issue. The issue was it's interface couldn't displayed all of its contents. Strange.... Now Rapid also got this strange issue as well.

cowby wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:25 am...but NI like MassiveX, Replica-XT have strange issue. The issue was it's interface couldn't displayed all of its contents. Strange.... Now Rapid also got this strange issue as well.
MassiveX worked fine for me, I expect Rapid would too as both are new plugins and have internal scaling, so that Bitwig's setting should be disabled. Don't know about Replica-XT, but I suspect it wasn't updated for HD like most NI's products have not.

But curious - what you mean by "couldn't displayed all of its contents"? Can you make a screenshot?
Music tech enthusiast

I've had some goofiness with NI plugins like Raum. I'll change the stretching option in Bitwig to reduce blurriness and then it'll look like the plugin interface is too big and getting clipped by its containing window. Something DPI related and I don't recall it being a problem previously, but I could be wrong.

This is the very first time I post image from Google photos. If you guys can see then you will know what's the issue that I facing....

cowby wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:44 pm Image

This is the very first time I post image from Google photos. If you guys can see then you will know what's the issue that I facing....
Compared to Bitwig they look pretty fuzzy. Have you disabled scaling like I suggested above (right click on plugin in side browser)?
Music tech enthusiast

forget it even if I upgraded MassiveX to the latest version it still hv the above issue (unchecked strectch plugin window to match DPI rescan plugin)

so I stayed with the above option checked.

I am rally happy that it is possible with Bitwig to make sharp my Arturia Plugins with 200% scaling on my 4K 32` lcd. I love you all :D

Return to “Bitwig”