Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ARP Odyssey M1 MDE-X: Software Effects Suite Mono/Poly MS-20 Polysix Wavestation

Fact is that a lot desktop GUI‘s looks crap and are no joy to use while on those mobile devices most GUI‘s are sharp, optimized for the screen resolutions etc.
Some developers like U-he shows how it should look in 2018.
Of course it‘s up to everyone what he likes or not but i won‘t buy software which looks like a 8 bit console game or you need a telescope to see what is going on.
It‘s the same with the 32/64 bit thing. Desktop users and developers are very slow to addopt to the modern world. I understand that it might be a lot more work on desktops but some GUI‘s are just a joke.

On another note, did anyone see the new Prologue that is supposed to be announced at NAMM soon? I wonder if they'll eventually make a software version of that.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Cinebient wrote: Some developers like U-he shows how it should look in 2018.
Question: what do you like so much about U-he UI's?
What is a console look for you?
Hive looks pretty flashy so that's in the ballpark of a console. Not that I mind.
Repro is certainly ok albeit quite boring for me.

braj wrote:On another note, did anyone see the new Prologue that is supposed to be announced at NAMM soon? I wonder if they'll eventually make a software version of that.
“Japanese-made natural touch”
http://www.korg.com/caen/products/synth ... /prologue/

Stefken wrote: Question: what do you like so much about U-he UI's?
Hive looks pretty flashy so that's in the ballpark of a console. Not that I mind.
Cinebient wrote: 8 bit console game
Yes, a Nintendo game from the 80s looks very flashy. Move along.

T-CM11 wrote:
Stefken wrote: Question: what do you like so much about U-he UI's?
Cinebient wrote: 8 bit console game
Yes, a Nintendo game from the 80s looks very flashy. Move along.
I don't remember asking you. I overlooked the game part and was thinking about the console (hardware) itself. Bite me.

BONES wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:It has everything to do with sharp text and bitmaps without seeing pixels
Absolute, complete and utter bollocks! Until Apple's marketing department came up with the term "Retina Display", I had never in my life heard anyone, ever, even mention that they could see pixels, much less complain about them. The first TFT flat panel monitors I ever saw were 15" screens running at 1024x768 and everyone just "ooh"ed and "ahh"ed at them, nobody said "look at all those giant pixels". And you don't go to the movies and here everyone complaining about the pixels, even though digital projectors are only 2k and they fill half your filed of vision.

When we had CRT monitors, which could be set to any resolution you desired, I never saw anyone setting them beyond about 1600 pixels wide, even on massive 27" monitors (and believe me, a 27" CRT was huge when it was sitting on your desk).
It also is a huge benefit for photographers and video people (working at 100%, instead of zooming or scrolling).
Except that applications like Photoshop and After Effects don't scale your images/vision, so you end having to make the application scale it, which it does a really bad job of.
The readability of text on a high-PPI display (with a properly scaling OS) is much better.
If you are having trouble reading text, run the ClearType utility.
It's a reduction in strain on people's eyes. If you don't care about sharp text, fine, but your eyes will change some day...
More BS. Your OS will render text with the level of anti-aliasing appropriate to the hardware. It has nothing at all to do with DPI. Again, if your text is blurry, run ClearType. That's precisely what it's for.
It took me a matter of months for a retina iPhone 4 to leave me accustomed to high density displays with sharp text.
Emperor's New Clothes, pure and simple. I remember when the first guy at the post house I was working at got an iPhone 4 and we spent a bit of time comparing very high quality, professional images (stock photos) between it and the dinky 480x272 OLED display on my Zune HD. Even the guy who'd just blown $750 on a new iPhone agreed that everything looked better on my Zune.
If hope the internet and desktop software developers catch up before I also have a high-PPI desktop computer. I'm tired of blurry and pixelated bitmaps everywhere.
Then you probbly need some kind of therapy because it's not real, it's just in your head.

EDIT - Reading further, I notice your on a Mac, so you can't run ClearType. Now I understand what your problem is - poor computer choices. PC users don't have the same problems.
Holy crap. You're beyond incorrect. I don't even know where to begin, what with your level of dismissiveness and point-missing.

Cleartype IS blurring, by definition, to simulate smooth curves that are impossible to draw at low pixel densities. Antialiasing low-resolution text isn't remotely like the results attained via high-PPI displays. If seeing pixels doesn't bother you, good for you. You're not the standard by which all computer users are measured. Still, maybe you should spend a few months looking at text on a high-PPI display.

Technology has finally moved on to where screen pixel density is comparable to print dot density. If you cannot comprehend the value of this, so be it, but don't go spewing declarations of "BS BS BS!!!"
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

braj wrote:So the guy arguing for 32 bit is now arguing for low res screens :hihi: that's hilarious.
It really sounds like a case of rationalizing why the new technology he hasn't moved on to should be seen as "unimportant". It comes off as really defensive.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
braj wrote:So the guy arguing for 32 bit is now arguing for low res screens :hihi: that's hilarious.
It really sounds like a case of rationalizing why the new technology he hasn't moved on to should be seen as "unimportant". It comes off as really defensive.
But then he goes and buys a new laptop every year :nutter: and is angry Korg doesn't let him use new synths in his old system running on a new computer apparently running 1024x768 resolution because Clear Type is so magical. Alright then :hihi: I think I know why Jbridge doesn't work for him, he doesn't want it to work for him, because :nutter:
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

T-CM11 wrote:So you've never seen the difference between a high dpi and a low dpi screen?
Cleartype can't add ("sub")pixels smaller than your screen can display. Higher dpi = smaller pixels = sharper text
And it's not comparable to CRT monitors AT ALL. TFT is inherently sharper (less blurry) and only has one (=native) resolution - pixels have a fixed size.
+1

I just do not comprehend the people who do not comprehend high-PPI displays. The arrogance of claiming it's nothing more than "Apple marketing" is just astounding. Can't they see the difference?? I guess they're just like the people who see nothing wrong with printing 1024x768 72-DPI images...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Seriously, his responses just blow my mind.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I just can't let this go.
BONES wrote:When we had CRT monitors, which could be set to any resolution you desired, I never saw anyone setting them beyond about 1600 pixels wide, even on massive 27" monitors (and believe me, a 27" CRT was huge when it was sitting on your desk).
Any resolution desired? Um, no. I dare you to find a CRT that could display print-resolution pixel densities...

People didn't often set things higher because they:

1. Couldn't go much higher (depending on CRT and GPU combination), or

2. Could go higher, but couldn't keep the resulting pixels (and and lines drawn on screen) clear, straight, colors solid (moire patterns galore), nor maintain uniformity of much else at those resolutions.

3. Couldn't refresh fast enough at higher resolutions to avoid painful flicker and CRT noise. 70Hz is my absolute minimum tolerable refresh rate.

Next you're going to tell me that I can't actually see CRT screen refresh flicker and that it's all in my head... I love those people, too.
BONES wrote:
It also is a huge benefit for photographers and video people (working at 100%, instead of zooming or scrolling).
Except that applications like Photoshop and After Effects don't scale your images/vision, so you end having to make the application scale it, which it does a really bad job of.
What are you even talking about? Photoshop and After Effects are different from applications?? Both products currently support native resolutions on high-PPI displays.
BONES wrote:I remember when the first guy at the post house I was working at got an iPhone 4 and we spent a bit of time comparing very high quality, professional images (stock photos) between it and the dinky 480x272 OLED display on my Zune HD. Even the guy who'd just blown $750 on a new iPhone agreed that everything looked better on my Zune.
This makes absolutely zero sense. Maybe you didn't like the brightness/contrast ratio on the iPhone 4. Valid. OLED kicks ass there because you can get real blacks with light emitting pixels, as opposed to the transmissive pixels in LCD. But the rest of the technical differences should've made the Zune (seriously????) so obviously inferior as to make your statement illogical if not outright bizarre.
BONES wrote:EDIT - Reading further, I notice your on a Mac, so you can't run ClearType. Now I understand what your problem is - poor computer choices. PC users don't have the same problems.
?????!! Dude, get off your platform war horse. It's utterly irrelevant. I'm not trying to insult your Microsoft god (bringing up the Zune was hilarious). I'm talking about pixel density, not platforms. Windows has support for high-PPI display scaling. The only platform argument here is that high-PPI is not something PC manufacturers or Microsoft are pushing as much as Apple.

I was a PC user for most of my life, doing most of my photography on a PC, in Photoshop, on Windows, with a fairly large CRT. Compared to LCD, CRT had great color reproduction, as well as superior contrast ratios and black levels, but they were abysmal for straight/consistent geometry, and for pixel density (and pixel uniformity). Text was blurry, no matter the resolution, compared to print or today's high-PPI LCD/OLED displays.

Antialiasing only ever blurred away the jaggies for aesthetics. The only reason that both aliased lines/curves and antialiasing ever existed is because of low pixel densities. The fact that you're citing cleartype as a solution to text readability, in a discussion of text readability on high-PPI displays, just tells me that you don't know what you're talking about because you're tossing out an antialiasing method, which is almost entirely irrelevant to the discussion (high-PPI still needs antialiasing to some degree, under 300 pixels per inch, but it's needed considerably less due to there being enough pixels to suggest curves to the human eye with pixels alone).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Seriously, his responses just blow my mind.
You actually don't know how to respond. It's so far off track :dog: :nutter: .

Stefken wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:Seriously, his responses just blow my mind.
You actually don't know how to respond. It's so far off track :dog: :nutter: .
Great arguments! :party:

If someone likes antiquated technology for whatever reason the I’ll just nod and agree. Each to their own, I very much like my 10bit 4k monitor and would’nt trade that for anything less.
:borg:

Return to “Instruments”